Booting troubles (windows 7)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by bulby_g (1125 posts) -

My dads computer is having some serious trouble booting it seems.  Ive taken a look and it says windows didnt start properly etc. etc.  It asks if you want to:

Start normally: Goes through a few screens and then seems to crash on the windows logo.

Do a system restore: Starts loading then comes up with a pop up giving you the options to restore or cancel.  I cant seem to select either option with the mouse or keyboard. 

Ive tried to boot in safe mode but tapping F8 seems to open some odd boot menu with a few fan speed options and boot selections but no safe mode. 

Can anyone help?  My knowledge of this type of things is minimal and seriously dated. 

#2 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -
Do a system restore if you have a restore point made. Otherwise try booting in safe mode.
#3 Posted by bulby_g (1125 posts) -

Is there another way to do a restore?  As mentioned above the method it gives isn't working.  I also can't seem to see a way to boot in safe mode...  There is no option to do so after tapping F8. 

#4 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -
Is it Windows 8?
#5 Posted by bulby_g (1125 posts) -

Nah it's windows 7.  

#6 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -
Then it shoulld work with F8. You still have the option of using the repair disk, or doing a fresh install, if it comes to it.
#7 Posted by bulby_g (1125 posts) -

It doesn't work.  It opens an unusual menu I'm not familiar with (described in first post).  Trying to avoid a full re-install but it's looking like I may have to go down that route!