This topic is locked from further discussion.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

It finally happened. I did not predict it, and I was foolish to think it would last forever. My hard drive for my OS has just died, and the last time I backed it all up was two years ago.

Any advice on data recovery, and don't say I told you so, because what's done is done. On the flip side, it finally gives me an excuse to buy a SSD card.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

That reminds me, gotta backup for today.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Google it, you can always go to a computers store and they'll do the job for you for small charge, might be even for free if you'll buy new HDD from them.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@hiphops_savior said:

It finally happened. I did not predict it, and I was foolish to think it would last forever. My hard drive for my OS has just died, and the last time I backed it all up was two years ago.

Any advice on data recovery, and don't say I told you so, because what's done is done. On the flip side, it finally gives me an excuse to buy a SSD card.

Told you so.....lol couldn't resist.

As for Data Recovery, it's normally a two phase operation.

The first one can be done with most computer shops and it's based on a software level recovery. Not that expensive and if the HDD still works it's possible to recover some data.

Next phase is hardware based recovery in a data recovery lab, where they actually take the platters out and transfer it to a new HDD. This is expensive but necessary if you need the data.