This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by hiphops_savior (7945 posts) -

It finally happened. I did not predict it, and I was foolish to think it would last forever. My hard drive for my OS has just died, and the last time I backed it all up was two years ago.

Any advice on data recovery, and don't say I told you so, because what's done is done. On the flip side, it finally gives me an excuse to buy a SSD card.

#2 Posted by Legendaryscmt (12532 posts) -

That reminds me, gotta backup for today.

#3 Posted by PredatorRules (8180 posts) -

Google it, you can always go to a computers store and they'll do the job for you for small charge, might be even for free if you'll buy new HDD from them.

#4 Posted by FelipeInside (25677 posts) -

@hiphops_savior said:

It finally happened. I did not predict it, and I was foolish to think it would last forever. My hard drive for my OS has just died, and the last time I backed it all up was two years ago.

Any advice on data recovery, and don't say I told you so, because what's done is done. On the flip side, it finally gives me an excuse to buy a SSD card.

Told you so.....lol couldn't resist.

As for Data Recovery, it's normally a two phase operation.

The first one can be done with most computer shops and it's based on a software level recovery. Not that expensive and if the HDD still works it's possible to recover some data.

Next phase is hardware based recovery in a data recovery lab, where they actually take the platters out and transfer it to a new HDD. This is expensive but necessary if you need the data.