Boast your big Fallout 3 mod load orders here! Can yours beat mine?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#152 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4092 posts) -

It's great, only downside is that it crashes and freezes a hell of a lot, though I hear Fallout's engine is more susceptible to these problems than other games.  But the payoff is well worth it.MirkoS77
I HIGHLY disagree. What is the point of the game looking beautiful if I can't even play it? An no, I don't consider having to reload the game every 20-30 minutes to be playing it.

#155 Posted by MirkoS77 (7005 posts) -

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]It's great, only downside is that it crashes and freezes a hell of a lot, though I hear Fallout's engine is more susceptible to these problems than other games.  But the payoff is well worth it.Toxic-Seahorse

I HIGHLY disagree. What is the point of the game looking beautiful if I can't even play it? An no, I don't consider having to reload the game every 20-30 minutes to be playing it.

I would agree if these changes were minimal.  They're not, and I have to reload once per hour, at most.  And as I said, I'm new to modding Fallout 3 and am not using some compatibility mods (FOIP), which helps FWE and MMM not have conflicts.  It may be my ineptitude more than anything else.  Regardless,  it takes 30 seconds to Cntrl+Alt+Del and reboot.  Granted, there have been times I've forgotten to save here and there and have had to replay 5-10 minutes, but that's more so my fault. 

I wouldn't, nor can't, play this game any other way now that I've modded it.  A crash every hour is nothing to whine about.

#156 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]It's great, only downside is that it crashes and freezes a hell of a lot, though I hear Fallout's engine is more susceptible to these problems than other games.  But the payoff is well worth it.MirkoS77

I would agree if these changes were minimal.  They're not, and I have to reload once per hour, at most.  And as I said, I'm new to modding Fallout 3 and am not using some compatibility mods (FOIP), which helps FWE and MMM not have conflicts.  It may be my ineptitude more than anything else.  Regardless,  it takes 30 seconds to Cntrl+Alt+Del and reboot.  Granted, there have been times I've forgotten to save here and there and have had to replay 5-10 minutes, but that's more so my fault. 

I wouldn't, nor can't, play this game any other way now that I've modded it.  A crash every hour is nothing to whine about.

I agree. Especially considering that you can make those crashes even less frequent (or eliminate them entirely), by getting some of the compatibility mods, and taking some time to study and edit your load order. With the small number of visual mods I'm using, which you can see in the shots I posted up there, I get no stability issues at all. Haven't had it crash on me even once. And the last time I played it was for about 4 straight hours. A couple years ago, when I was on another install of the game, I had considerably more mods (close to 50, I believe) and it still rarely crashed. I think I might have got 2 or 3 crashes per  week,  while playing every day, at least a couple hours at a time. And I never really lost any progress because, when I'm playing any game that allows quick saves, I make a habit of quick saving VERY frequently. Like every 2 minutes. Maybe even less.

#157 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4092 posts) -

Granted, there have been times I've forgotten to save here and there and have had to replay 5-10 minutes, but that's more so my faultMirkoS77
The game crashing during gameplay randomly without you saving is your fault? How? For not saving it every minute expecting a crash? That's no way to play a game..... Also, it's not like the original game doesn't crash a ton too. Actually, it doesn't crash any more on me with mods than it did without mods. For FO3 I have an ENB, texture mod, and a couple of other things (nothing as big as FWE or MMM) and it crashed every half an hour, but that's about what it was at without the mods. It's to the point where the core game isn't good enough regardless of mods to warrant me constantly closing and loading it. I suffered through New Vegas but when it came to me playing FO3, it just isn't a good enough game to make the hassle worth it.

With the small number of visual mods I'm using, which you can see in the shots I posted up there, I get no stability issues at all. Haven't had it crash on me even oncethe_bi99man

I can't even get unmodded FO3 to not crash every half an hour. I've tried all the suggested fixes (limiting it to only 2 cores and what not) and the game still crashes like crazy.

#158 Posted by MirkoS77 (7005 posts) -

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]Granted, there have been times I've forgotten to save here and there and have had to replay 5-10 minutes, but that's more so my faultToxic-Seahorse

The game crashing during gameplay randomly without you saving is your fault? How? For not saving it every minute expecting a crash? That's no way to play a game..... Also, it's not like the original game doesn't crash a ton too.

The game crashes on Windows 7, as it was not designed for it. Even then, once the core issue is fixed it's not nearly bad enough to not play. I played all the way through it a while back on 7 and I could count the CTDs on one hand in dozens of hours of play. And I misspoke about it being my fault. What I mean to say is I'm new to modding and really don't know what I'm doing. There are modding programs out there (such as FO3edit) which help identify conflicts, and ones such as FOIP which help make compatible many big mods, a few of which I'm running. I'm sure the game would crash a lot less if I were experienced.

#159 Posted by buccomatic (1941 posts) -
  • fellout-full.esp
  • fellout nights restored-point lookout.esp
  • fellout nights restored.esp
  • street lights.esm
#160 Posted by buccomatic (1941 posts) -
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]Granted, there have been times I've forgotten to save here and there and have had to replay 5-10 minutes, but that's more so my faultMirkoS77

The game crashing during gameplay randomly without you saving is your fault? How? For not saving it every minute expecting a crash? That's no way to play a game..... Also, it's not like the original game doesn't crash a ton too.

The game crashes on Windows 7, as it was not designed for it. Even then, once the core issue is fixed it's not nearly bad enough to not play. I played all the way through it a while back on 7 and I could count the CTDs on one hand in dozens of hours of play. And I misspoke about it being my fault. What I mean to say is I'm new to modding and really don't know what I'm doing. There are modding programs out there (such as FO3edit) which help identify conflicts, and ones such as FOIP which help make compatible many big mods, a few of which I'm running. I'm sure the game would crash a lot less if I were experienced.

if you do the fixes to stop it from crashing and then also turn off hdr lighting and bloom effects it stops crashing. the only problem with this is it makes the game even uglier than it already is and you can't see nuka cola quantum glowing blue.
#161 Posted by buccomatic (1941 posts) -

[QUOTE="frnk55"]

Damn those screens look good.  What is the best graphics update mod out now?

MirkoS77

I'm using Midhrastic ENB and find it the best one yet:

It is a system hog, though.

damn dude. that's frikin' awesome. i'm currently in the process of building a new rig and i'm going to run that enb mod you got there. looks incredible! gratz!
#167 Posted by mep69 (1828 posts) -
[QUOTE="l-lord"]

[QUOTE="Flubbbs"]

ive put a few hundred hours in fallout 3 and havent used any mods.. i think its great without them

I've played Fallout 3 for 4 years! The 2 years were enough of vanilla for me! The same is probably going to be for you. You just haven't ran out of vanilla content yet

Why would you want to play Fallout 3 for 4 years ?
#168 Posted by l-lord (834 posts) -

[QUOTE="l-lord"]

[QUOTE="Flubbbs"]

ive put a few hundred hours in fallout 3 and havent used any mods.. i think its great without them

mep69

I've played Fallout 3 for 4 years! The 2 years were enough of vanilla for me! The same is probably going to be for you. You just haven't ran out of vanilla content yet

Why would you want to play Fallout 3 for 4 years ?

Well its actually 3 years and I didn't mean that by 6 hours every single day. It's just since its release until 2011 it would be the game I'd come back to the most after getting bored of the other games

#170 Posted by MirkoS77 (7005 posts) -

l-lord
I was wondering if anyone was having this problem. Shows in my history but no new posts.
#171 Posted by l-lord (834 posts) -

[QUOTE="l-lord"]

MirkoS77

I was wondering if anyone was having this problem. Shows in my history but no new posts.

Yeah gamespot forums are glitchy

#173 Posted by ardiem-hf (1 posts) -
Dude those armors you showed were awesome! What mod has those armors in the screenshots?
#174 Posted by robokill (1064 posts) -
I'm trying to use midhrastic but the d3d9.dll you have to use from another loader makes the game crash for me. I turned off AA and AF, any advice on how to get it to work? I have a bunch of mods, any that it conflicts with?
#175 Posted by l-lord (834 posts) -
#177 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2285 posts) -

I have a rule when it comes to bethesda's games.

No more than 75 mods because after than the engine starts to bug out and the game becomes unplayable.(crashes,performance drops and all that)

So yeah 75 is the max amount of active mods i run at at any time.

#179 Posted by Fire_Wa11 (427 posts) -

So a friend of mine told me to watch an ol' youtube gaming show by RonJohnTron or something.  Any way the guy made a great point when talking about Fallout 3.  Paraphrasing he said, "Fallout 3 is one of only a few games on a pathetically short list of deeply immersive open-world games."  So true.  Nothing scratches that itch for me like Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas (and at one time City of Heroes.)  I had spent thousands of hours in those games.  After reading I-Lord's post previously, I was inspired by his load order to do a 2nd playthrough of Fallout 3 (rather than just always wandering around as my first playthru good guy.

Playing as a Talon Merc (thx to FWE or something) I ended up in Megaton kind of hating everybody ("Moira, did you know there was a sniper on top of all the mines in that minefield?") because my character is evil, with little money, a head concussion, broken torso arm and leg, AND radiation poisoning to boot.

At some point, however, things turned around and just kind of clicked and I've been reminded of the game's immersiveness.  If you just want to kind of zone out, there is nothing better than those last two fallout games.  (I am not very into fantasy settings so I don't play the Elder Scrolls stuff.)  Any way, don't rip on me for my small load order I-Lord because it's kind of because of you that I got this many.  Though I haven't encountered the "raining chunks of meat and loot after a battle" that you described, although that does sound really awesome.  Seems like FWE you aren't supposed to play with enemy spawn ratcheted up because individual enemies might be a little tougher but again I'm barely in to my 2nd playthru. Here we go:

Fallout esm

broken steel esm

Point Lookout. esm

Craft.esm

calibr.esm

TheInstitute.esm

Eve.esm

F03 wanders edition.esm

marts mutant mod esm

sharing and caring companions esm

rh ironsights esm

a world of pain esm

fnncq esm

f03 wanders edition alternative travel.esp

Darnified UIF3.esp

RH Ironsights

Crowded Cities

Underground hideout

f93 wanders edition

f9 3 wanders edition - restore tracers

Talon Company Allies for SCC.esp (though it's glitched.  may be it's been patched by now.  Like I said I stopped playing very early on for months and picked it up again yesterday so not sure if I'm stuck with the glitch.)

RH-FWE Bridge

Weapon Mod Kits

Eve

RH Eve Bridge

Marts Mutant Mod

All Speak

Killable Children

Raider Mercenary Expanded

Fellout

If anyone has suggestions on quest mods (or others) or just how in general to make my second playthru different from my first.  I don't feel the need to find anybody's dad.  That was Jason Wild's story, gunslingin' highwayman of the wastelands.  I'm looking to have just a bad-ass merc story now with Scorpion cruising on his motorcyle with his Talon peeps, crushin' heads and gettin' caps.

#180 Posted by chriscoolguy (340 posts) -

[QUOTE="cdragon_88"]

To TC:With all those mods and you didn't change that greenish/yellowish tint that Fallout 3 had? I thought that was the worst thing about Fallout 3. That was my first mod--fixing that god awful tint.

How did I know this was going to turn into a Fallout 3 console vs PC mod. I was actually expecting NV vs Fallout 3 also. :cry: Oh well. The last time I played Fallout 3 I had only about 10 of them forgot what they all were but the most important one was the one that changed my gameplay--something like "project reality" or something like that. Since I moved to Windows 7 my game couldn't run smooth anymore so I stopped playing it. I don't have the steam version but the boxed retail version. I had tried all the crap ini file fix such as the number of cores fix but it just doesn't run smooth. Everytime I go to a town or open a door that sends me to a loading screen it'll take about 2 mins just to load or crash. Vanilla fallout 3 was beast--I played that on my PS3 way before PC. Clocked in at 100+ hours then got the PC version and clocked in another 70+ hours. Good times. Great game.

l-lord

Fallout 3 ENB didn't exist in 2011.

But today Fallout 3's visual curse has been lifted

18107-1-1346032165.jpg

18107-3-1346031794.jpg

18107-5-1346031942.jpg

18107-2-1346032165.jpg

2123332-1331630808.jpg

18107-4-1347498835.jpg

18107-2-1346639443.jpg

18107-2-1346031584.jpg

18107-1-1346031793.jpg

18107-5-1346031766.jpg

18107-2-1347498833.jpg

18107-4-1346032196.jpg

18107-1-1346032288.jpg

WOW! Which mods did you use to get it to look like this? has to be more than just ENB?
#181 Posted by chriscoolguy (340 posts) -

Do the new ENBseries mods work with ATI cards for fallout3 or NV? also does Fallout3 or NV work with Windows 7?

#182 Posted by Fire_Wa11 (427 posts) -

Talon Company Allies for SCC.esp (though it's glitched.  may be it's been patched by now.  Like I said I stopped playing very early on for months and picked it up again yesterday so not sure if I'm stuck with the glitch.)Fire_Wa11

Dag-nabbit.  Now, another glitch.  Stealthboys don't work. :(  Ahh, the downside of modding.  The glitch above I found a workaround but what's the point of playing the FWE edition if you can't use all those little strategic devices, tactics and stat boosts.  Sucks.  Any advice anyone?  My load order is posted above.  Anyone experience simliar glitch with stealthboys not working, and how did you fix it?  Thx.

#183 Posted by l-lord (834 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fire_Wa11"]Talon Company Allies for SCC.esp (though it's glitched.  may be it's been patched by now.  Like I said I stopped playing very early on for months and picked it up again yesterday so not sure if I'm stuck with the glitch.)Fire_Wa11

Dag-nabbit.  Now, another glitch.  Stealthboys don't work. :(  Ahh, the downside of modding.  The glitch above I found a workaround but what's the point of playing the FWE edition if you can't use all those little strategic devices, tactics and stat boosts.  Sucks.  Any advice anyone?  My load order is posted above.  Anyone experience simliar glitch with stealthboys not working, and how did you fix it?  Thx.

The fun is worth the effort. You can copy my load order. This is not a penis measuring competition

#187 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

I picked up Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition and Doom 3 BFG from the recent Bethesda 2 for $15 thing. After 3 hours of tinkering with it so it would just WORK (by making sure it only uses one CPU core, installing FOSE, running in compatibility mode, etc.), and downloading mods, I finally have Fallout 3 running, and it's pretty darn great when it isn't crashing on occasion.

Here's my load order: 

Ambient Weather 2 (with patch)

Classic Fallout Weapons BETA (strange how it isn't BETA in New Vegas, and that it's still "beta" after all these years)

Enhanced Weather- Rain and Snow V2 (also, radioactive rain and incredibly black nights)

Fellout (though I didn't have such an issue with the tint everyone else did)

FWE- Fallout Wanderer's Edition with hotfix patch (I modified the leveling since I like it to be faster, but everything else is awesomely hardcore and I love it)

Martigan's Mutant Mod

RH_Iron Sights with update and WMK compatibility kit

WMK Weapon Mod Kits

#188 Posted by l-lord (834 posts) -

I picked up Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition and Doom 3 BFG from the recent Bethesda 2 for $15 thing. After 3 hours of tinkering with it so it would just WORK (by making sure it only uses one CPU core, installing FOSE, running in compatibility mode, etc.), and downloading mods, I finally have Fallout 3 running, and it's pretty darn great when it isn't crashing on occasion.

Here's my load order: 

Classic Fallout Weapons BETA (strange how it isn't BETA in New Vegas, and that it's still "beta" after all these years)

Enhanced Weather- Rain and Snow V2 (also, radioactive rain and incredibly black nights)

FWE- Fallout Wanderer's Edition with hotfix patch (I modified the leveling since I like it to be faster, but everything else is awesomely hardcore and I love it)

Martigan's Mutant Mod

WMK Weapon Mod Kits

SPYDER0416

What a peasant load order

#189 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Here's my load order: 

Martigan's Mutant Mod

WMK Weapon Mod Kits

l-lord

I tried to not go overboard, only do stuff that changed up gameplay without affecting the graphics or performance too much. As it is, Fallout 3 was already a pain just to get running on a modern PC (since you have to run it in compatibility mode and only using one core, and even then it crashes every hour or so).

But right now I am loving the changes. It's almost a different game than when I played it years ago on PS3, but FWE does have some flaws in balancing and such that can be a pain to have to tweak.

#190 Posted by l-lord (834 posts) -

[QUOTE="l-lord"]

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Here's my load order: 

Martigan's Mutant Mod

WMK Weapon Mod Kits

SPYDER0416

I tried to not go overboard, only do stuff that changed up gameplay without affecting the graphics or performance too much. As it is, Fallout 3 was already a pain just to get running on a modern PC (since you have to run it in compatibility mode and only using one core, and even then it crashes every hour or so).

But right now I am loving the changes. It's almost a different game than when I played it years ago on PS3, but FWE does have some flaws in balancing and such that can be a pain to have to tweak.

Just keep looking for optimization mods. You'll find many

#194 Posted by l-lord (834 posts) -

Bump

#195 Posted by PredatorRules (7241 posts) -

@rhazzy said:
  • [X] Fallout3.esm
  • [X] Anchorage.esm
  • [X] ThePitt.esm
  • [X] BrokenSteel.esm
  • [X] PointLookout.esm
  • [X] Zeta.esm

Game is perfect and doesn't need any mods imo...

Wait,no,there IS one thing that can be improved.Brb downloading the killable children mod.

call_of_duty_10

The game is garbage without mods...it looks and plays like the console version...

Been playing it for over 100 hours, one of the true games that deserves the title Game of the Year.

Haven't played it on console but I do play it on my PC on max graphics and it looks even today pretty decent.

Go play original Crysis if you're into shinny open world games.

#196 Edited by l-lord (834 posts) -

Sad that Fallout 3 is unoptimized,crash happy piece of sh!t. Bethesda are 1# douchebags

#197 Posted by PredatorRules (7241 posts) -

@l-lord said:

Sad that Fallout 3 is unoptimized,crash happy piece of sh!t. Bethesda are 1# douchebags

Upgrade your rig or play it on low grapihcs, I've played it on max settings (AA off) 1080p smooth with i5 750, HD5770, 8Gb RAM

#198 Posted by l-lord (834 posts) -

@PredatorRules: Pfffft you peasant. I have 5970HD,Intel Core I7 3.2 GHZ and 12 GB RAM.

I don't know how much FPS is smooth for you but surely the game could've took advantage of my hardware hell allot better than what it does now

#199 Posted by PredatorRules (7241 posts) -
@l-lord said:

@PredatorRules: Pfffft you peasant. I have 5970HD,Intel Core I7 3.2 GHZ and 12 GB RAM.

I don't know how much FPS is smooth for you but surely the game could've took advantage of my hardware hell allot better than what it does now

Maybe you shouldn't pirate games, I've heard those things may result in bad performance or at least patch them if you've already done so.

Smooth is 40+ in closed areas even 80; And just for the record don't call people on forums peasants, it may cause you get banned, plus that's not a really nice thing to do.

#200 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

@l-lord: Did you really have bump this dead thread just to be a dick, after nobody took your flamebait 4 months ago?