• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Black Mesa

Has anyone tried it yet?

Just finishing downloading it, looks like they did a good job.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 45991 Posts

Yeah, I followed the mod since the very start, I played it the day it was released.

They did a great job, definitely one of the best mods out there. I hope they won't take another 8 years to finish the rest of the content, can't wait to play it :P

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts

I'm currently on chapter 4 I think and I'm impressed, not only with the attention to detail but with the length of the game. I'm not sure of my playtime since Steam refuses to record it for some reason but I would be surprised if there is any less than 20 hours playtime in the game in total, which is fantastic what is essentially a community mod.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#4 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
It's excellent although I did get a few crashes towards the end. I would pay money for it.
ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

One of the best mods, and remakes ever made. Looks beutiful, they realy did a great job, I would of payed full price for this if they let me, just nit picking here a little, the ai aimbot is sometimes annoying but it could be fixed in the next update.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
It was really great. The only bad thing about it was the soldiers terrible voice acting.
Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts
So I've just played it for 10 mins and I am immediately very impressed by the effort they have obviously gone to. I really enjoyed my first Half Life play through all those years ago, looks like I might be getting that experience again in HD. :D
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Course. It's ****ing fantastic. Was following it for years here and there, and it captured everything fantastic about the original Half Life brilliantly. Shocks me how well the game holds up, and how well crafted Black Mesa is.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10358 Posts

it was really impressive up to the bit i got to where i experienced a progress halting glitch.

too impatient to restart the game to fix the glitch i instead quit in a huff of rage and haven't been back since.

bit embarrassing in hindsight  :oops:

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

3qrtkg.jpg

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts
They did such an awesome job with it, it was kind of a pain to install, but maybe they've fixed that up by now. It's been green lit on Steam, so hopefully some time soon you can just get it on there.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Excellent mod and well worth the download! They made HL1 far better than even the original, I'm hopeful that they finish the last level so you can play from start through finish.

PLAY IT NOW FFS!

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

Yep, I consider it one of the best and most faithful remakes I've ever seen.  The devs deserve every bit of praise.  I can't wait until they finish the Xen portion.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Beat it a while ago. Very, very good free game. They did an amazing job remaking it.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
It's a really well made mods - very professionally done. I got bored of it pretty quickly though.
gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#16 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

Loved it. Favourite mod of the year. Possibly the first mod I would happily have paid good money for.

Although still not "finished" what they have created is incredible. Aside from the crouch-jumping. ;)

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nutcrackr

Loved it. Favourite mod of the year. Possibly the first mod I would happily have paid good money for.

Although still not "finished" what they have created is incredible. Aside from the crouch-jumping. ;)

gbrading
I'm waiting for a game that is nothing but crouch jumping!
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I got to play a bit of it, but Steam forced me to reinstall all my games and now it isn't working. I get an error message and now I'm just waiting until the Steam release is out since nothing I've tried works.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#19 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Never understood the point of this, myself. If you want to play Half-Life, just play Half-Life - not something that looks like it...

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nutcrackr

Never understood the point of this, myself. If you want to play Half-Life, just play Half-Life - not something that looks like it...

Starshine_M2A2
Firstly it looks much, much better. Secondly it has tweaks and some modern changes to make the classic feel fresh.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i might be a douche bag for saying this, but the second i played black mesa, i re-evaluated my entire gaming habits for several reasons. most notably because this is a mod and remake, yet was better than most of the trash ive played the past few years. anyways, they did an amazing job. it was hyped beyond all belief, yet exceeded expectations. that's how you make software, folks.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

i might be a douche bag for saying this, but the second i played black mesa, i re-evaluated my entire gaming habits for several reasons. most notably because this is a mod and remake, yet was better than most of the trash ive played the past few years. anyways, they did an amazing job. it was hyped beyond all belief, yet exceeded expectations. that's how you make software, folks.yellosnolvr

That

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

Starshine_M2A2
I have never understood stupid people such as yourself. Do people like you just not think ever?
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Trailer looks amazing.

Wish I still had my Half-Life disk

Wait

Is this built on HL or HL2?

Very tempted to get the Valve pack and replay everything including Black Mesa.

Prolly won't. My backlog is huge already.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Starshine_M2A2
[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

gunmaster55555
I have never understood stupid people such as yourself. Do people like you just not think ever?

Why, it was my ability to think that enabled me to avoid this pathetic excuse for a game, you little charmer, you.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#26 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I was very skeptical but they did a pretty great job on this. It reminds you of so many forgotten elements of the FPS today. Take the combat. You're expected to move around, no be bound by cover and there are fewer but much tougher enemies to make the gun play more interesting. I rated it 8/10. The game itself is finished it could just do with a months work of refining to clear those crash bugs and tweak some of the music. I was still impressed.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SPYDER0416

Starshine_M2A2

You may as well write off excellent games like Resident Evil: Remake with that kind of logic. I mean, is it really so taxing to your mind to consider that maybe people might want a modernized version of one of the greatest games of all time, which released over a decade ago?

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
[QUOTE="gunmaster55555"][QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

Starshine_M2A2

Why, it was my ability to think that enabled me to avoid this pathetic excuse for a game, you little charmer, you.

:lol: So you haven't even played it, yet you're criticizing people who have\want to. You seem like a great, definitely not condescending, person to hang around with :roll:
overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 overhead_drums
Member since 2010 • 338 Posts
Only just started it recently. When i downloaded it i thought it was just a increase on the original graphics, didn't realise it was a whole new game! Great stuff!
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#30 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

I love the marine fights in this game. They're tough!

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

One of the best mods ever made.  I played it on the day of release.  It lost nothing in translation to Source.  Black Mesa proved to me that Half-life is still a truly great game.  It just needed updated visuals.  

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hartsickdiscipl

Trailer looks amazing.

Wish I still had my Half-Life disk

Wait

Is this built on HL or HL2?

Very tempted to get the Valve pack and replay everything including Black Mesa.

Prolly won't. My backlog is huge already.

ZombieKiller7

It's built on the Source engine.  Basically a Half-life 2 mod, using all of the latest Source engine updates.  It's well worth playing.  My GOTY for 2012.  

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

Fantastic remake,and goes to show how HL2 is the best FPS ever made.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hartsickdiscipl

CUDGEdave

I love HL2, but I thought that Black Mesa showed that the original was still the best.  

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="CUDGEdave"]

hartsickdiscipl

I love HL2, but I thought that Black Mesa showed that the original was still the best.  

Yeah Half-Life 2 was great, but Half-Life 1 for it's time had some amazing AI, truly jawdropping set pieces, and this sense of immersion and tension that was unmatched at the time. Black Mesa is definitely the best adaptation I could have hoped for, short of a Valve created remake using the next variant of the Source Engine.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Starshine_M2A2
You may as well write off excellent games like Resident Evil: Remake with that kind of logic. I mean, is it really so taxing to your mind to consider that maybe people might want a modernized version of one of the greatest games of all time, which released over a decade ago?SPYDER0416
A friend of mine once called remakes and updates of popular games 'the moustache on the Mona Lisa'. It was painted 500 years ago and nobody's tried to enhance that with modern techology... My point is why tamper with something that was great to begin with? You talk about modernisation as if it's infallible and yet it very often destroys memories, tarnishes the concept of nostalgia and reduces a beloved franchise to polarised version of itself. Games are just about the only example of art and technology being able to mix but that doesn't mean they should be forced together simply because they exist which is what remakes do. It's empty and soulless replication and is done for no other reason that to make money of an old game or franchise anyway - art and entertainment has nothing to do with it.
So you haven't even played it, yet you're criticizing people who have\want to. You seem like a great, definitely not condescending, person to hang around with :roll:chrisrooR
I wasn't criticising anyone, I was merely stating my opinion for the above reason.
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NoAssKicker47

A friend of mine once called remakes and updates of popular games 'the moustache on the Mona Lisa'. It was painted 500 years ago and nobody's tried to enhance that with modern techology... My point is why tamper with something that was great to begin with? You talk about modernisation as if it's infallible and yet it very often destroys memories, tarnishes the concept of nostalgia and reduces a beloved franchise to polarised version of itself. Games are just about the only example of art and technology being able to mix but that doesn't mean they should be forced together simply because they exist which is what remakes do. It's empty and soulless replication and is done for no other reason that to make money of an old game or franchise anyway - art and entertainment has nothing to do with it.Starshine_M2A2

I tend to disagree with this post. Visual arts are quite a bit different form video games, from an artistic standpoint. I mean that in the sense that painters such as Rene Magritte and Leonardo DaVinci could achieve very believable-looking art many, many years ago, and since it's a painting that looks very realistic to begin with, there's no need to tamper with or recreate it.

Video games took a lot of time to achieve a believable look, and the looks of newer games compared to games released 14 years ago is so vast that a whole generation of gamers might find them jarring, making them dismiss what is otherwise a wonderful title, most definitely one of the best games ever. As for the game in discussion here specifically - you need to play it before jumping to conclusion, it's nothing but empty and soulless. They've changed up entire portions of the game's level design, tweaked the combat and mechanics to make them feel close to today's games, but it's still VERY MUCH Half-Life, even though you can now throw burning flares at zombies or nail commandos to a wall with a dart.

The beauty of it is - this new generation of gamers who have a problem with the old graphics (probably because most of them didn't game when those graphics were considered impressive) is now being exposed to a game whose only "flaw" nowadays is its visual presentation. The gameplay remains 99% unaltered as do the atmosphere and pacing. Oh and money's not a factor here - it's a free mod.

I've played the original Half-Life. About 11 times. Then I played Black Mesa. It destroyed none of my nostalgic feelings, nor did it tarnish my memories. Hell, I caught myself grinning while playing at numerous occasions. 

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 biggest_loser

A friend of mine once called remakes and updates of popular games 'the moustache on the Mona Lisa'. It was painted 500 years ago and nobody's tried to enhance that with modern techology... My point is why tamper with something that was great to begin with? You talk about modernisation as if it's infallible and yet it very often destroys memories, tarnishes the concept of nostalgia and reduces a beloved franchise to polarised version of itself. Games are just about the only example of art and technology being able to mix but that doesn't mean they should be forced together simply because they exist which is what remakes do. It's empty and soulless replication and is done for no other reason that to make money of an old game or franchise anyway - art and entertainment has nothing to do with it.

Starshine_M2A2

:| Black Mesa is free to download 

Also, its not a remake, its a redux. Its almost the exact same game, with cosmetic changes.

The graphics have been updated and some bits tightened up but the trajectory of the narrative and the levels hasn't changed at all. 

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Starshine_M2A2
Black Mesa is free to downloadbiggest_loser
Then it really does benefit absolutely no one.
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NoAssKicker47

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Black Mesa is free to downloadStarshine_M2A2

It benefits those fresher gamers that don't want to play with the old graphics and can now enjoy Half-Life. It benefits the modders who proved themselves capable of creating quality products. If they decide to go pro or release a new game for money, it benefits them. It benefits Valve, collecting new HL fans who might buy the games and join the Steam community.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wis3boi

"I hate free stuff that's even better than the original."

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I don't understand how being free would benefit less than someone.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 biggest_loser

You're the one who said this about remakes: " It's empty and soulless replication and is done for no other reason that to make money of an old game or franchise anyway."

So its bad if they charge for it and its bad if its free now? Huh? 

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Absolutely fantastic. Played it day one. Went marathon status and finished it in a night. Was a total blast. A more than worthy remake. Can't wait for the Xen levels. The music is simply... fvck. It's amazing. Haha. Download the soundtrack from the website, put the tracks in the order of the levels, and it's an incredible ambient/electronica album. 

As far as technical issues, all that I noticed was a spot in the very end, where my performance just tanked completely, no matter what. It's source, so it's not that demanding. My laptop ran the whole game maxed out, 1080p, 4xmsaa, at 45-70 fps, until the very last fight, in the lab, when you fight off the aliens while the guy opens the portal. I don't know if it's something to do with the optimization, or maybe the lights and effects in that part are just the most demanding thing the source engine has ever done, but i dropped to <10 fps at that point. Had to turn off msaa, drop to 720p, and drop most of the settings to low, just to get it up to 18-ish fps, so I could barely survive the fight, and make a choppy run for the portal. Totally worth it, to hear the ending credits music.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Black Mesa is free to downloadwis3boi

this. I don't want to make any conclusions until the last levels are there, but I think the changes in Black Mesa actually made it a much better game, besides looking great. I had more fun playing Black Mesa last year than I did playing Half Life in 1998.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Starshine_M2A2

wis3boi

Well, I could just as easily say "I like free stuff simply because it's free and new" about yourself.

And if that really is the logic you follow, on that basis, a version of the Mona Lisa created with vector graphics would be better than the original - which is absurd.

You're the one who said this about remakes: " It's empty and soulless replication and is done for no other reason that to make money of an old game or franchise anyway."

biggest_loser

If they had charged for it, at the very least it would have benefited those who made it. I may not have agreed with it but at least there would have been a purpose.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nutcrackr
If they had charged for it, at the very least it would have benefited those who made it. I may not have agreed with it but at least there would have been a purpose.

Starshine_M2A2
I understand your reticence towards remakes; they stifle creativity and allow companies to double dip. I think there are definitely a few caveats in this situation. Black Mesa is free, which means it's done out of love for the game. It's almost an attempt to see how well the game will stand up against modern games when visuals are comparable. It could be argued that in 1998 Valve were limited by hardware and time, this mod loosens those shackles but the details are still up to artistic interpretation. Was Leonardo limited by his paint tools? Black Mesa does such a good job at matching modern games that it should make people question the quality of modern games. That in itself is enough reason for the free mod to exist. It gives thousands of people hours of enjoyment by revisiting the game with major graphics tweaks. Not unlike graphics mods in other games except to the extreme scale of rebuilding everything from scratch. It's not stopping people from replaying the original without tweaks, it's not out to make money for the "man" and it's not (afaik) out to mind control anybody. So I struggle to see how you can take such a negative stance over something that is completely harmless.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Starshine_M2A2

Well, I could just as easily say "I like free stuff simply because it's free and new" about yourself.

And if that really is the logic you follow, on that basis, a version of the Mona Lisa created with vector graphics would be better than the original - which is absurd.

biggest_loser

So the love and comments I receive from people for making free mods for games have no benefit to me? The simple act of receiving the possitive feedback and seeing their joy in using them IS the benefit to me, among the joy I get creating it.  If you're going to use such faulty logic, system wars is that way -->

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Starshine_M2A2

biggest_loser

The purpose was to remake the game for fans, that was made by OTHER FANS OF THE GAME. I am baffled by just how dumb people today seem to be. I can barley cope with society, seems everyone is becoming slower.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts
Just downloaded yesterday. Best mod I've played in awhile. IMO it's better than most games made today. Would pay $$ for this. I'm in love So happy. Amazing. Brings back the feeling!!!!!!