Black, glitchy spots when playing Battlefield 2 with my new monitor

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

Hey alll. I recently got a new monitor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-236-067&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo)

I set the resolution of my PC display to 1920x1080, and then I installed Battlefield 2 to see how nice I could get it to look. Unforunately, even at 1920x1080, the game looked stretched out. No matter what resolution I tried, it still looked stretched out. I also noticed that in any resolution I tried, there would be black, glitchy spots in the distance or on the ground in some places.

The rig I am using is pretty old:

Pentium 4 3.2ghz

Radeon HD 4550

Anyone know what the problem is? Is BF2 all stretched out because it wasn't made for widescreens since it is an older game? Where are the black spots coming from? And recently I played WoW on my old monitor, and had no graphical glitches whatsoever.

Everything outside the game is fine. No glitches or anything so far.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
BF2 is one of those quirky games where it can natively render the 3D parts of the game in proper widescreen aspect ratios with expanded horizontal FOV, but the HUD's all stretched and distorted. Are you absolutely sure that it's only the HUD that looks stretched wide, or do vehicle wheels and gun scopes and such not look right either?
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

The black spots sound like the first signs of artifacting, got another GPU to test with or even different drivers?

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

It's all good guys. I figured out that the whole widescreen thing is normal since BF2 wasn't made for it apparently, and the black glitchy spots disappeared when I set Terrain to low.

I should've posted an update, but nobody had responded so I figured the thread was pointless anyways.