Binding of Isaac Rebirth

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I received the game for free on PS+, but for people who don't have a Playstation - you should probably pick it up on Steam if you like arcade-styled indie games. It's addictive, has local coop gameplay, and highly replayable. If you've played the original Binding of Issac, it feels like a 1.5 version of that. One thing that makes it a million times better than the original is that this version of the game is NOT flash based and runs at a fluid 60 FPS.

For people who haven't played the game...

- It's a roguelike, so every time you die it restarts You can save your progress so you can drop in and drop out.
- You're placed in randomly generated dungeons full of randomly generated enemies and there is a *ton* of loot powerups and synergies.
- You can shoot in 4 directions (up, down, left, right) and move around in 8. It can get fast paced as the game goes further. You locate your way to a boss on each floor to progress to the next.

Honestly, if there's any indie game you pick up this year, it should probably be this one. Have you played it yet? What do you think of it?

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I like the better performance, but really dislike the new soundtrack, to the point that I'd almost rather play the older flash version (too lazy to download that program to get gamepad support to work though).

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

I just played for 5 hours straight. 5/5 game. Highly recommended for anyone that likes rougelikes and even people that don't. You'd be hard pressed to find a better way to spend $15.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KHAndAnime

@topgunmv said:

I like the better performance, but really dislike the new soundtrack, to the point that I'd almost rather play the older flash version (too lazy to download that program to get gamepad support to work though).

I dig it.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SaintSatan

I played 8 hours today and I'm still up playing at 5am. I am losing control of my life.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I thought the original looked pretty fun... Does this one come with the original as well as the rebirth?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Arthas045 said:

I thought the original looked pretty fun... Does this one come with the original as well as the rebirth?

The rebirth is the original with the DLC, on a new engine, and adds tons of other goodies. I put tons of time into the original game, and I see myself putting even way more time into this. The game is really addicting. I've just been taking turns with my brother (each one of us takes turns playing as Isaac and his familiar). Already have 6+ hours in the damn game! It's difficult to put down, I swear.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Arthas045

@KHAndAnime said:

@Arthas045 said:

The rebirth is the original with the DLC, on a new engine, and adds tons of other goodies. I put tons of time into the original game, and I see myself putting even way more time into this. The game is really addicting. I've just been taking turns with my brother (each one of us takes turns playing as Isaac and his familiar). Already have 6+ hours in the damn game! It's difficult to put down, I swear.

I have been wanting to play more of these rogue-like games... I think this one looked the best out of a lot of the games I have seen in this genre.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SaintSatan

@Arthas045 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@Arthas045 said:

I have been wanting to play more of these rogue-like games... I think this one looked the best out of a lot of the games I have seen in this genre.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is the best rouge-like game period. As he said, Rebirth is a remake of the first one with a ton of new things added. Get it if you want your life sucked away.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Roguelikes.... I don't know how that makes me feel but its good its got Local Co-Op.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SaintSatan

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Roguelikes.... I don't know how that makes me feel

Honestly I absolutely fucking hate rouge-likes. Dying and starting from the beginning is massively annoying. The Binding of Isaac is on a whole nother level. It's leaps and bounds above all other rouge-likes. Dying and starting over is not the least bit annoying thanks to the awesome and varied power ups. It's a ton of fun seeing what crazy ass shit you get next.

Do not pass this game up. Buy it asap.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Don't mean to be a killjoy here but I looked at gameplay videos and I just don't see what's fun about it.

Am I missing something?

Is there like a demo that I can try?

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Just checked the PS board and everybody on there is complaining that Sony let them down this month >.< this game stormed the charts on steam and is always extremely active, probably my favourite game this year.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SaintSatan

@FelipeInside said:

Don't mean to be a killjoy here but I looked at gameplay videos and I just don't see what's fun about it.

Am I missing something?

Is there like a demo that I can try?

Yes, you're missing a lot. It doesn't have one of the highest user scores on Steam for no reason. What looks simple is actually far deeper than you can ever imagine. The game is one of the most perfect examples of a blend of luck and skill. You will need both to succeed and it makes you keep coming back for more and more. The gameplay is VERY varied, it never gets boring. I already have 20 hours logged and I just bought it the other day, nearly all my friends have even more hours. You're better off watching people play on Twitch rather than gameplay videos (watch for a WHILE so you have a better understanding). You don't need a demo, just freakin buy it, it's $15. If you don't like you have the shittiest taste in video games on Earth. Controller recommended.

11/10 game, one of my favorite games of all time.

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/The%20Binding%20of%20Isaac%3A%20Rebirth

wkwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wkwan
Member since 2008 • 155 Posts

just curious if you guys use controller or kb+m? i played alot of the original on kb+m (i think controller support was too troublesome on original or i was lazy), and tried Rebirth on controller but im still undecided haha.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KHAndAnime

@wkwan said:

just curious if you guys use controller or kb+m? i played alot of the original on kb+m (i think controller support was too troublesome on original or i was lazy), and tried Rebirth on controller but im still undecided haha.

I play on a PS4 controller. It's the way to go, mayn.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@SaintSatan

Depends on how dependent on stats it is... I don't upgrade and level up everything then lose it all when I die, its like a corrupted save on Skyrim after 200 hours.... Far worse than Dark Souls.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts

@saintsatan said:

Honestly I absolutely fucking hate rouge-likes. Dying and starting from the beginning is massively annoying. The Binding of Isaac is on a whole nother level. It's leaps and bounds above all other rouge-likes.

I love the Binding of Isaac and Rebirth is awesome too (the original is in my top five most played games on Steam), but I can't agree with this at all.

Isaac is a fantastic rogue-lite, but if I'm looking for a wonderfully complex randomised RPG with permadeath, Tales of Maj'Eyal is the way to go (at least as far as Steam rogue-likes go).

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SaintSatan

@Planeforger said:

@saintsatan said:

Honestly I absolutely fucking hate rouge-likes. Dying and starting from the beginning is massively annoying. The Binding of Isaac is on a whole nother level. It's leaps and bounds above all other rouge-likes.

Isaac is a fantastic rogue-lite

I imagine you as one of those pompous people on Youtube that will argue what genre a band is for hours.

"No no NO, it's a punk goth melodic metal band!!!"

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulu_Lulu

@SaintSatan

Oh thats me in a nutshell, I except I do it with games. ;)

i.e. Monday Night Combat is an Asymmetrical, Squad Based, Tower Defense 3rd Person Shooter. Its just a fancy way of saying: Horde Mode Clone. :p

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

@saintsatan said:

@Arthas045 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@Arthas045 said:

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is the best rouge-like game period. As he said, Rebirth is a remake of the first one with a ton of new things added. Get it if you want your life sucked away.

Rogue Legacy is a fantastic rogue-like game as well.. But I agree, Isaac is amazing. Not sure what I think about Rebirth, but I'm still having lots of fun with the original, so I don't feel like I have to have Rebirth right now. I like the graphics of the original, and I love the soundtrack to it. What I'm hearing about them having a different soundtrack for Rebirth sounds a bit worrying..

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arthas045

After watching youtube and twitch I will be picking this game up. Looks like a lot of fun.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SaintSatan

@Litchie said:

@saintsatan said:

@Arthas045 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@Arthas045 said:

Rogue Legacy is a fantastic rogue-like game as well.. But I agree, Isaac is amazing. Not sure what I think about Rebirth, but I'm still having lots of fun with the original, so I don't feel like I have to have Rebirth right now. I like the graphics of the original, and I love the soundtrack to it. What I'm hearing about them having a different soundtrack for Rebirth sounds a bit worrying..

The original is an alpha/beta and Rebirth is the real, full experience. That's the best comparison I can give you. The music is great and the graphics can be changed between pixel and smooth. If you liked the original then Rebirth is a must.

@Arthas045 said:

After watching youtube and twitch I will be picking this game up. Looks like a lot of fun.

Nice. Be prepared for many late nights.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KHAndAnime

I'm still sinking hours into this fucking game. I can't believe how much replayability it has. Every time I play the game (and beat it), I'm unlocking new levels, new items, seeing bosses and enemies I haven't seen before, and lots of other craziness. Seriously, I must have over 50 hours in this game already, and I'm still finding things to unlock and more layers of progression. Keep in mind I've doing all those hours cooperatively. IMO this might be one of the best games this generation. It's an achievement in gaming. I can't get over how good it is.

This game is on sale right now. You stinkers better buy it. Give these folks all your money!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:

IMO this might be one of the best games this generation. It's an achievement in gaming.

Ehhh.... that's a bit of a stretch but I guess it's your opinion.

I downloaded it (free on PS4) and played about 10min. Do I have to play more because so far I don't see much of the appeal?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KHAndAnime

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

IMO this might be one of the best games this generation. It's an achievement in gaming.

I downloaded it (free on PS4) and played about 10min. Do I have to play more because so far I don't see much of the appeal?

If it's not instantly fun for you, I recommend you take a hard long look at your life. Just kidding

It's inherently for people who are fans of top-down twitch shooters. If you aren't fan of that style of game, you probably won't get into it. But for people who grew up with consoles like the SNES when most games were similarly styled to this as opposed to the games of today, this game is the best. It's particularly great for those tired of that recycled CoD crap and actually want to revisit a time when games were actually fun to just pick up and play (instead of being treated to a mess of poor cutscenes). I'll give a fair warning - people who think games like CoD are great are going to be the least likely to get into a game like this. It's a polar opposite game in terms of taste - it's supposed to offer lots of great, dynamic singleplayer action with its campaign instead of a short, static, scripted one that you get in most games today. It's a nice big breath of fresh air.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

If it's not instantly fun for you, I recommend you take a hard long look at your life. Just kidding

It's inherently for people who are fans of top-down twitch shooters. If you aren't fan of that style of game, you probably won't get into it. But for people who grew up with consoles like the SNES when most games were similarly styled to this as opposed to the games of today, this game is the best. It's particularly great for those tired of that recycled CoD crap and actually want to revisit a time when games were actually fun to just pick up and play (instead of being treated to a mess of poor cutscenes). I'll give a fair warning - people who think games like CoD are great are going to be the least likely to get into a game like this. It's a polar opposite game in terms of taste - it's supposed to offer lots of great, dynamic singleplayer action with its campaign instead of a short, static, scripted one that you get in most games today. It's a nice big breath of fresh air.

I'll have to play more to make a personal opinion since 20 min isn't really fair to any game, but I disagree with your comparisons to COD.

I think COD games are great, but I also think To The Moon was great which is a polar opposite. Never put people into categories just because they like something.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KHAndAnime

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

I'll have to play more to make a personal opinion since 20 min isn't really fair to any game, but I disagree with your comparisons to COD.

I think COD games are great, but I also think To The Moon was great which is a polar opposite. Never put people into categories just because they like something.

Stereotypes exist for a reason - my experience is that people who binge on CoD and newer type games have little patience for anything that isn't easy or fast paced. Just because you feel you're an exception doesn't mean the stereotype doesn't exist. Most people don't love all games but have a preference for a certain type, and the people who love CoD-type of games usually don't like harder, classic type games. That's just how it is. I'm sorry you feel you can't categorize things based on exceptions. CoD sells a lot of copies, but only a small percentage of the copies sold are to people who enjoy all types of games. Hell, most of the people I know who play COD don't even know what system Mario orginated on. The qualities what makes Binding of Isaac blatantly amazing aren't any of the qualities of what makes a game like CoD amazing for the people who like that sort of thing. It's a game very reminiscent of something that would've been popular 15 years ago. I'm not saying if you like CoD, you'll hate Binding of Isaac, but I'm saying that there's not much representative of modern gaming in the title, and people who love CoD games are usually looking for something a little more modern.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:

@FelipeInside said:

Stereotypes exist for a reason - my experience is that people who binge on CoD and newer type games have little patience for anything that isn't easy or fast paced. Just because you feel you're an exception doesn't mean the stereotype doesn't exist. Most people don't love all games but have a preference for a certain type, and the people who love CoD-type of games usually don't like harder, classic type games. That's just how it is. I'm sorry you feel you can't categorize things based on exceptions. CoD sells a lot of copies, but only a small percentage of the copies sold are to people who enjoy all types of games. Hell, most of the people I know who play COD don't even know what system Mario orginated on. The qualities what makes Binding of Isaac blatantly amazing aren't any of the qualities of what makes a game like CoD amazing for the people who like that sort of thing. It's a game very reminiscent of something that would've been popular 15 years ago. I'm not saying if you like CoD, you'll hate Binding of Isaac, but I'm saying that there's not much representative of modern gaming in the title, and people who love CoD games are usually looking for something a little more modern.

I used to love those top down shooters. I remember playing an Alien one.

Might need to get this on PC then, cause I rarely play games on the PS4 except FIFA.

Does it work well with Keyboard and Mouse?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KHAndAnime

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@FelipeInside said:

I used to love those top down shooters. I remember playing an Alien one.

Might need to get this on PC then, cause I rarely play games on the PS4 except FIFA.

Does it work well with Keyboard and Mouse?

I don't know, honestly. I assume it does because it has very good ratings on Steam and they're usually buggers if it's a poor port. You honestly might have to play the game for half an hour or so and make a few attempts through the game before you get the "meat" of it, though it's essentially a very basic-type game that is unique because of its dynamic nature. Ten minutes with it gives you enough time to see how it plays, but I think more time with it would let you see why people like it. It's very randomly generated - even after all the times I've played there are dozens of powerups, as well as many enemies, bosses, and other goodies I haven't even seen yet. What makes the game fun is when you start getting power-ups that play off eachother (example: a power where if you touch something, it turns to poop + a rechargeable holy shield = you can easily beat rooms by turning enemies into poop). There are also a bunch of powerups that have their own upgrade paths (they get better the more you find that powerup). Once/if you've played the game enough to get a feel for how much content it has, you'll see why I rate it so highly. Even if you don't particularly find the game a ton of fun, at the point it should be easy to see why tons of people think it's great.