BF4 on PC - Next gen beta

This topic is locked from further discussion.

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By godonholiday
Member since 2009 • 379 Posts

There are lots of issues with BF4 at the minute. Their forums are full of complaints.

I think it is understandable that there are going to be issues. It has only just launched. Games are difficult things to develop.

BUT

These guys do it for a living? They test, they beta test...

The game has some issues, crashing, netcode, sound issues, console locks, points and level ups being lost. Then the servers have issues.

Is this the future for next gen? This many issues at launch?

I have had fun in the game, and yes it looks great..

But I feel like I am in a beta now. I think we are in a beta, but its the beta for next gen consoles.

If this game launches anything like this on PS4 launch day.. it will be embarrassing.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Take it easy man , all of'em are gonna be worked out in a few days ...

Generally speaking, yeah you're right ,it's devs responsibilty 2 do their best n have as minimum technical issues as possible in their products...

I think EA is the one 2 blame in this case though !

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 godonholiday

@mjorh: I know.. but if all the next gen console games have these issues on launch.. the press would not be good at all.

Why do we put up with it? Why didnt they test more? release the title on all platforms at the same time?

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

I don't care if making games is complicated, building a car is complicated and I wouldn't accept that my car didn't work at all or partly. The game has been in alpha, closed beta and open Beta. All the issues that the game has at the moment, along with the moronic Battlelog, isn't ok for a customer product and isn't fit for purpose.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

@kaealy said:

I don't care if making games is complicated, building a car is complicated and I wouldn't accept that my car didn't work at all or partly. The game has been in alpha, closed beta and open Beta. All the issues that the game has at the moment, along with the moronic Battlelog, isn't ok for a customer product and isn't fit for purpose.

Actually, as long as you continue to purchase their product it's 'fit' to be consumed. As long as you consume whatever piece of sh*t they put out, you have no right to complain about it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

at least they've been working on it, trying to push updates like every day.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Well, give em a break. They made this title for Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC.. That's going to leave a lot of room for bugs and less man power to cover all that.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I would hope that since they ran alpha and beta tests the final product would work.

No excuses.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

If you want to complain, go to /r/Battlefield_4....where the devs actually post

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#10 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

@wis3boi said:

If you want to complain, go to /r/Battlefield_4....where the devs actually post

Mostly only the Battlelog devs and community managers. DICE themselves are presumably busy or fearful of posting or both.

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 godonholiday

@chrisrooR: The fact that I did buy their product gives me the right. Thats how it works. Not the other way around.

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 godonholiday

@Elann2008 said:

Well, give em a break. They made this title for Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC.. That's going to leave a lot of room for bugs and less man power to cover all that.

Yeah, I agree. I just dont think it would be acceptable of they released it at launch on the new consoles. It would be a PR nightmare.

Right now, press coverage is quite low for how bad the issues are. I know that it is a launch. It is to be expected. I guess you can use that argument to cover all kinds of issues.

SimCity.. it was a launch thing. GTV, it was a launch thing... and so on I get it.

will WatchDogs have these issues? well, not on the console launch as they have set it back to work on the title. So I am guessing they will sort out most things.

Not being able to get on a server is one thing.. but the crashing and bugs is another

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#13 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Server patch seems to have lessened the crashing. Couple more days and we might be ready for a release version.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@godonholiday said:

@mjorh: I know.. but if all the next gen console games have these issues on launch.. the press would not be good at all.

Why do we put up with it? Why didnt they test more? release the title on all platforms at the same time?

Do you fully understand the software development process? they probably did loads, but time constraints hit. DICE have never got it right day one. I think they use methods that are not reccomended, I read awhile back that they brute force alot of the development. not ideal.

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By godonholiday

@MBirdy88: I do actually, I am a developer. Thats why I am so shocked to see the scale of issue with newly released games.

While I am not on the forums in a commercial sense, purely for personal.

We use the following dev process:

Local, dev, testing, staging and production. Staging is a mirror of production.

At each point, our code is peer reviewed, tested and automated testing is carried out.

We run smoke tests and release tests.

All of the above helps reduce the number of large scale issues. It means we end up dealing with minor non blocker issues.

The issues in GTAV and BF4 are far from minor. The length of the beta was far to small in proportion to the game size and expected(pre-orders) player base.

No one at Dice is saying 'oh, its a release, its to be expected'. What they are doing is finding the issues, how those issues made it through their extensive processes and then making sure the fix doesn't impact on the hotfix.

MY point is, that they should have done more and for longer. They should have treated PC and the old gen consoles with the same respect.. rather than use them as a beta test for the new gen.

If BF4 is the only game that doesnt work out of the box on those consoles, then they are going to have issues.

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 godonholiday

@nutcrackr said:

Server patch seems to have lessened the crashing. Couple more days and we might be ready for a release version.

Exactly.

Would it have mattered if they held this game back by a couple of weeks? No

Could they have stuck a BETA label on this release? Yes

Will they fix it? Yes

Is it a great game? Yes

Just give it to us when it is ready.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@kaealy said:

..... everytime I see stupid car comparisons or analogies my IQ drops. I can't fathom how you can be stupid enough to compare the two.

And battlelog is fine. you people will find anything to whine about.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@kaealy said:

..... everytime I see stupid car comparisons or analogies my IQ drops. I can't fathom how you can be stupid enough to compare the two.

And battlelog is fine. you people will find anything to whine about.

Ok, I wouldn't ride with elevators that function half the time or not at all. Most modern elevators are controlled by software. Better analogy for you? The apologists in gaming in general is sickning and repulsive. Battlelog isn't fine, far from it.

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 godonholiday

I think the launch of a national health website is more comparable. I dont see anyone in the US crying about that. Everyone just needs to realize that 'it is a launch' and there are going to be problems. lol

But its OK, EA are onto it:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/3/5061252/heathcare-govs-disastrous-launch-could-have-been-prevented-with

</sarcasm >