Better Graphics Card Gives Worse Performance?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Argonsoon (49 posts) -

So I decided it was time to upgrade my graphics card from the radeon 5770 to the 5850 but ran into a unique problem when i did, For whatever reason the benchmark test came back weaker then the 5770...why would that be?

#2 Posted by ionusX (25715 posts) -

So I decided it was time to upgrade my graphics card from the radeon 5770 to the 5850 but ran into a unique problem when i did, For whatever reason the benchmark test came back weaker then the 5770...why would that be?

Argonsoon

what benchmark would that be? ill see if i can replicate the results with my 5850 and 5770 that i have (i bought em cheap and am trying to resell)

#3 Posted by Argonsoon (49 posts) -

I ran the benchmark through 3D mark 11, and i dont think my processor is bottlenecking my GPU i have an AMD Athlon II X4 645

#4 Posted by kraken2109 (12984 posts) -

I ran the benchmark through 3D mark 11, and i dont think my processor is bottlenecking my GPU i have an AMD Athlon II X4 645

Argonsoon
Even if it was bottlenecking it shouldn't have come out worse.
#5 Posted by evildead6789 (7288 posts) -

Argonsoon
I suppose you bought that 5850 second handed, it could be something's wrong with it, otherwise I would say drivers. Update to the latest drivers, make sure you uninstall them first and install the latest ones from the amd site.
#6 Posted by Argonsoon (49 posts) -

i already did install the newest drivers nothing changed

#7 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
1 - make sure the 5850 doesn't need more power. 2 - check your driver settings - sometimes custom settings can get reset to defaults that aren't always the most preferred 3 - make sure the settings in 3DMark are exactly the same 4 - sometimes newer drivers can bring worse performance
#8 Posted by Argonsoon (49 posts) -

1 - make sure the 5850 doesn't need more power. 2 - check your driver settings - sometimes custom settings can get reset to defaults that aren't always the most preferred 3 - make sure the settings in 3DMark are exactly the same 4 - sometimes newer drivers can bring worse performanceStinger78

Ive checked, it doesnt need more power

checked my drivers

it is exactly the same test

should i try rolling back my drivers?

#9 Posted by ionusX (25715 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stinger78"]1 - make sure the 5850 doesn't need more power. 2 - check your driver settings - sometimes custom settings can get reset to defaults that aren't always the most preferred 3 - make sure the settings in 3DMark are exactly the same 4 - sometimes newer drivers can bring worse performanceArgonsoon

Ive checked, it doesnt need more power

checked my drivers

it is exactly the same test

should i try rolling back my drivers?

before you do that go try a game and see if your preformance improves over your 5770. if you have it i like the benchmark in wh40k: DoWII and another one u can try out if the new ff14ARR benchmark (freeware) and compare results. 3dmark11 does not reflect real world preformance.

#10 Posted by Argonsoon (49 posts) -

well the thing is my old card did fantastic at almost everything it did, the only places it had problems was arma 3 and a "questionably legal" version of farcry 3, the farcry 3 still lags like hell but im thinking its just curropted and arma 3 is so intensive on gpu and cpu and it changes so much from server to server that i cant really get a finative answer from anything.

#11 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

well the thing is my old card did fantastic at almost everything it did, the only places it had problems was arma 3 and a "questionably legal" version of farcry 3, the farcry 3 still lags like hell but im thinking its just curropted and arma 3 is so intensive on gpu and cpu and it changes so much from server to server that i cant really get a finative answer from anything.

Argonsoon
Both of those games are very intensive. Arma III, as you well know is still in development so performance will improve as it nears its final stage in development. Far Cry 3, depending on various builds, does have a few issues like stuttering. There are tweaks to go around it though.
#12 Posted by Argonsoon (49 posts) -

farcry 3 runs fine in loading but the second it starts to show the words "in a moment" in the upper right of the screen i drop to like 1 or 2 fps...on the lowest specs possible...i should be able to handle that, so im pretty sure its a corrupted version

#13 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

farcry 3 runs fine in loading but the second it starts to show the words "in a moment" in the upper right of the screen i drop to like 1 or 2 fps...on the lowest specs possible...i should be able to handle that, so im pretty sure its a corrupted version

Argonsoon

I'm not sure how AMD driver installs/uninstalls work nowadays but make sure you did a "clean" uninstall. Use Driver Fusion and clean it out. Install the drivers again for your 5850 and see what happens.

If you have done that already, please disregard.

#14 Posted by kraken2109 (12984 posts) -

lol i get like 20fps in Arma 3

#15 Posted by Postmortem123 (7627 posts) -

kraken2109

Yeah ARMA III runs crap on every system.

#16 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

kraken2109

I normally get between 30-50FPS.