better days ahead for sports games on pc?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
does anyone think that peter moore taking over ea sports will translate to good things for pc versions of ea sports titles? i mean, are we going to get fight night? or will the madden, nba, nhl, and tiger woods for the pc be next-gen sooner than later with peter moore helming that division? in the past, peter moore has been pretty diplomatic in at least promising good things for pc gamers like trying hard to sell windows live to us. though he came up short in his promises, he seems like a pretty level-headed guy who does his best to listen to fans. anyone think differently?
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 fireandcloud
i changed the topic header, hoping to elicit more interest in the discussion. :)
Eggroll822

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Eggroll822
Member since 2004 • 48 Posts

mmm i don't particularly care to see more sports games for PCs...maybe it's just me but i don't enjoy them. PC games to me have always meant RTS's, RPG'S, and FPS's.

Consoles are good for sports games because of the ability to play with others on a couch with everyone sorrounding them watching.

I just never really cared to see sports games on PC's maybe except a good racing sim.

Eggroll822

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Eggroll822
Member since 2004 • 48 Posts
EDIT: and maybe tiger woods/ Pro Golf sim
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fireandcloud
that must mean you weren't around when there were good sports titles for the pc, like the fps series and high heat baseball and 4d boxing and links 386 and speedball and nascar series. there was a time when sports games belonged in the pc. too bad ea sports ruined that for all pc exclusive players like me by concentrating so much on consoles and monopolizing the genre.
Jalannom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jalannom
Member since 2003 • 315 Posts
I really hope this happens on PC. I hate it when the graphics on consoles are way upgraded from PC versions. Look at FIFA and NBA live series for Xbox and compare it with the PC's. I think FIFA series have been using the same engine for the past 3-4 years. The benefit out of it is that I could actually play it on my laptop which was not made for gaming. Although I own the game for PC and cellphone(yes...cellphone), I agree on Fight Night series coming for PCs. We need some variety in this genre.
Sandmaester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sandmaester
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts
sport games simply don't play on PC. while yes EA puts their game out on PC they've just stop caring about quality knowing they'll get sales simply from having a licensed roster. you notice how the competitors of eA that actually try 2 make a decent game rarely put their stuff out on PC - why, because they don't want their game tarnished. sports just don't work on PC, sport games are a console-only invention AND should remain that way
DJGOON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DJGOON
Member since 2005 • 603 Posts

sport games simply don't play on PC. while yes EA puts their game out on PC they've just stop caring about quality knowing they'll get sales simply from having a licensed roster. you notice how the competitors of eA that actually try 2 make a decent game rarely put their stuff out on PC - why, because they don't want their game tarnished. sports just don't work on PC, sport games are a console-only invention AND should remain that waySandmaester

huh? I dont think so lol. The only games lacking on the PChavebeendecent fighting and tennis games. Only up until the past few years has EA been making the PC version of sports gamers inferior, but that does not really mater since i can play Pro Evo soccer on my PC :P

The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts
i agree. What i heard is, this was the last year of contract for the dev team which made the PS2/PC versions. So hopefully we'll finally get next-gen sports games for PC.
Baji_Boxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Baji_Boxer
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts
Hopefully. Used to be a time when PC had the FAR superior sports games (particularly in baseball, hockey, and golf). I think part of the problem is the customizability of PC games that's expected (and sometimes forced whether the developer likes it or not, lol). If you create a really great sports game engine with customizable rosters, teams and so on like people would expect in a pc game, the community can easily update rosters, ratings, uniforms, and so on for upcoming seasons. Companies like EA wouldn't be able to get away with the lazy anual updated roster rehashes they sell for $60 on consoles. Or the horrible gradual reintroduction of past features (often gimped) as "new" in the "next gen" versions of their games.
POP-TTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 POP-TTT
Member since 2005 • 61 Posts

EA is so F-up.. I mean is it so hard to make a xbox 360 or ps 3 port instead of o ps2 ? I can live with ports.. But cmon ps2 port? Thats is ridiculous.. I dont know which person or group is esponsible for the PC versions but he must be a goddamn money sucking **** Ohh and fight night round.. The game is so good that i would be gratefull if they realease the ps2 port.. And i dont even talk about xbox 360.. Fight night round must come to PC whatever the port is.. And other sport games .. We they have to advance to next gen graphics like those new cosoles.. PC is more then able to handle it..

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fireandcloud

EA is so F-up.. I mean is it so hard to make a xbox 360 or ps 3 port instead of o ps2 ? I can live with ports.. But cmon ps2 port? Thats is ridiculous.. I dont know which person or group is esponsible for the PC versions but he must be a goddamn money sucking **** Ohh and fight night round.. The game is so good that i would be gratefull if they realease the ps2 port.. And i dont even talk about xbox 360.. Fight night round must come to PC whatever the port is.. And other sport games .. We they have to advance to next gen graphics like those new cosoles.. PC is more then able to handle it..

POP-TTT

this is a man after my own heart.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
The older fanbase on PC just doesn't play sports in number, or at least anything like console gamers. While I'm sure they can make money by selling a PC version, EA probably wants to spend all of their resources for the 360 and the more difficult platoform to develop for, the PS3. After last year, the PS3's version was inferior to the 360 version in framerate, so they probably want to address that with more man power. On PC, I think we'll continue to see sports managers, which are a better fit for the platform.
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fireandcloud

The older fanbase on PC just doesn't play sports in number, or at least anything like console gamers. While I'm sure they can make money by selling a PC version, EA probably wants to spend all of their resources for the 360 and the more difficult platoform to develop for, the PS3. After last year, the PS3's version was inferior to the 360 version in framerate, so they probably want to address that with more man power. On PC, I think we'll continue to see sports managers, which are a better fit for the platform.mismajor99

undoubtedly, this is true. but they've been making ps2 ports for most of the sports games; is it that much harder to make x360/ps3 ports? certainly, the pc platform can handle anything that the x360/ps3 can throw at it.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

[QUOTE="mismajor99"]The older fanbase on PC just doesn't play sports in number, or at least anything like console gamers. While I'm sure they can make money by selling a PC version, EA probably wants to spend all of their resources for the 360 and the more difficult platoform to develop for, the PS3. After last year, the PS3's version was inferior to the 360 version in framerate, so they probably want to address that with more man power. On PC, I think we'll continue to see sports managers, which are a better fit for the platform.fireandcloud

undoubtedly, this is true. but they've been making ps2 ports for most of the sports games; is it that much harder to make x360/ps3 ports? certainly, the pc platform can handle anything that the x360/ps3 can throw at it.

I agree. Porting from 360 doesn't take much. The other reason I'm thinking EA did this was to curtail PC owners of the game that download rosters and don't buy the game every year(I do this with NHL since the game hardly changes year to year), which is much more likely to happen with the PC version for obvious reasons. EA wants to lock down this franchise and maximize profit, which I'm guessing they feel will happen if consumers have less choice. They are essentially funnelling the herd into 2 closed proprietary platforms, 360 and PS3. Don't be surprised either if MS and Sony were behind this, afterll, every PC Gamer that buys a copy of Madden for PC is a loss sale to them, at least that's their arrogant attitude. The Madden series has been decreasing in popularity over the years, so I'm a bit confused with this move, but since EA own's the rights to the NFL, which borders on antitrust if not a violation, there's really nothing we can do.

This is what happens when company's corner a market, it's never good for the consumer. I have a suspicion that the series will be back, I know that the PC has a rabid very vocal fanbase that isn't going to let this die.

Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

Well considering alot of titles only come from Ea sports and they don't care about the PC i know the future of PC sports gaming is next to dead. NHL for the past 3 years was just a recycled game while console got the new great version.

Companies are retarded anyway a PC boxing game with multiplayer would sell very well.