Best tycoon game out there?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by grarap (5780 posts) -
It's a sad fact that I love tycoon games, yet have never really been able to find a great one out on the market. The Movies isn't deep enough, SimCity 3000 is just annoying, Roller Coaster Tycoon doesnt have...it. I don't care what the subject is - business, airports, hospitals (although not zoos), but could somebody PLEASE reccommend me a good tycoon game?
#2 Posted by X360PS3AMD05 (36298 posts) -
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 is like the greatest game of all time :o There is tons of mods over at the Atari forums.
#3 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -

I haven't actually played it yet, so I can't really recommend it, but I was in a similar situation just a few days ago. I wanted a tycoon game, but I wanted something new, so I went a-searchin' and I found Jurassic Park: Project Genesis. It seems interesting and unique, and dinosaurs are just cool. Plus, it was pocket change.

There's probably better out there, but it might be worth checking out, especially if you want something unlike anything else you've played.

#4 Posted by FallenDeath55 (556 posts) -
roller coaster tycoon series
#5 Posted by Gladestone1 (5549 posts) -
Rollertycoon series does have it...The game is still going strong till this day..As the person uptop said..Tons of mods out there..Ive had it an played it for years, every now and than..Wish they would make a forth...
#6 Posted by Deliza432 (70 posts) -
I love Rollercoaster Tycoon. I used to stay up until the early hours of the morning playing the the 1st game when I 1st got it. Was great fun trying to biuld a wacky rollercoaster that people would actually go on! A lot of mine people wouldn't go near lol.
#7 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -
Rollercoaster Tycoon 2.
#8 Posted by gurney13 (250 posts) -
Hotel Giant is a good one. Its like £10 and doesn't need very high specs. IMO its awesome and I'm glad I bought it.
#9 Posted by chandu83 (5185 posts) -
I don't think any of the tycoon games out there are as good as Rollercoaster Tycoon series. Of course, some say Zoo Tycoon is very good as well, but I haven't played it, so I am not too sure.
#10 Posted by grarap (5780 posts) -
Whilst I like the Rollercoaster Tycoon series, they're far too creative for me :) I was thinking of something more business oriented. Railroad tycoon perhaps?
#11 Posted by dd99 (2095 posts) -
the first transport tycoon was realy fun for me. Google openTTD, that will let you run the game on windows linux, even intell mac's!
#12 Posted by crapdog (425 posts) -
sim city 2000 for me
#13 Posted by grarap (5780 posts) -
Hmmm, problem is that I'm not a fan of those fiddly late 90s micromanaging tycoon games (phew, mouthfull). Railroad Tycoon 3 seems right up my street to be honest - a strong industrial and economic focus. Is it true that Sid Meiers: Railroads! is vastly inferior, even though it's a sequel?
#14 Posted by Whermacht02 (1069 posts) -

the first transport tycoon was realy fun for me. Google openTTD, that will let you run the game on windows linux, even intell mac's!dd99

At last somone mentioned TT!!!I was going post by post saying "come on??? how is it possible that nobody even mentioned Transport Tycoon on a tycoon-related thread???"

Anyway, I really think that this is the king of all the tycoon games. Its an old game (in fact, its a DOS game that can run in Windows), but its a masterpiece. Also, you can try Chrys Sawyer's Locomotion: Its Transport Tycoon built on the Roller Coaster 2 engine with some really nice new additions (more vehicles, diesel and electric trains with diff tracks, narrow and wide beam tracks, etc...)

#15 Posted by Franko_3 (5728 posts) -
restaurant empire is a nice tycoon game
#16 Posted by Anthony9000 (2173 posts) -

restaurant empire is a nice tycoon gameFranko_3

yep, i agree but another good tycoongame is Theme Hospial. If u like turn-based tycoon (days, weeks etc,) then i reccommend coffee tycoon or Lemonade tycoon (1 or 2)

#17 Posted by Comarki (0 posts) -
I really enjoy Game Dev Tycoon: http://www.greenheartgames.com/ It's a better version of game dev story but for the pc. Comarki
#18 Posted by Scryll (12 posts) -
pizza tycoon
#19 Posted by guynamedbilly (12965 posts) -
Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 and Prison Architect are the best I've played.
#20 Posted by Franko_3 (5728 posts) -
restaurant empire is a nice tycoon gameFranko_3
Dec 3, 2007. Ho my God, I feel so old
#21 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31998 posts) -

[QUOTE="Franko_3"]restaurant empire is a nice tycoon gameFranko_3

THis makes me sad, because MFSA posted here.  He was a good user, one of the best PC forum contributors, and sadly he passed away a while ago.

#22 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18414 posts) -
Theme Hospital. You can get it at www.gog.com for cheap.
#23 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

Sid Meier's Railroads is a good one. Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 is pretty good, especially if you get the Platinum version that has Soaked and Wild included. There is also Cities In Motion/2 where you have to build and maintain transportation systems.

#24 Posted by KHAndAnime (13866 posts) -

[QUOTE="Franko_3"][QUOTE="Franko_3"]restaurant empire is a nice tycoon gamemrbojangles25

THis makes me sad, because MFSA posted here.  He was a good user, one of the best PC forum contributors, and sadly he passed away a while ago.

Interesting and sad. Do you know of any other GS frequenters who have passed away?
#25 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31998 posts) -

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="Franko_3"] Dec 3, 2007. Ho my God, I feel so oldKHAndAnime

Interesting and sad. Do you know of any other GS frequenters who have passed away?

no, just him as far as I know.

he was posting some really good youtube reviews right before he passed away as well.  Also, he was a former fatass which (as a current fatass myself) is inspirational.

Best, and most snide, analogy ever came from him relating to PC and console gaming as well.  Last time I repeated it, though, I got moderated lol.  Might be ok though now since the forum rule changes.

#27 Posted by harry_james_pot (10890 posts) -
Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. :D
#28 Posted by pelvist (4852 posts) -

Theme Park, Amiga version.

#29 Posted by MeltdownMedia (43 posts) -

If you want something different check out Game Dev Tycoon.. it's pretty cool.

#30 Posted by coasterguy65 (6006 posts) -

Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 & 2 and the expansions, Transport Tycoon, and Locomotion are my favorites. Zoo Tycoon was pretty good also.