Best tower defense game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Willsi100 (148 posts) -

Hey guys,

I don't really play much PC games as my PC can't really handle it (I have an xbox360 for gaming) but I love tower defense games.

What is the best one for the PC?

I don't mean the small free ones you can play on websites either. :-)

#2 Posted by Delius (571 posts) -

Defence Gridis the best one for PC that I've played, hopefully you can run it. If not, Plants vs. Zombies is a good option.

#3 Posted by alvaro_pg (330 posts) -
Get Warcraft 3 The Frozen throne. There are millions of tower defense maps, some feel like a completely different game
#4 Posted by Willsi100 (148 posts) -

Defence Gridis the best one for PC that I've played, hopefully you can run it. If not, Plants vs. Zombies is a good option.

Delius
Sweet, I will check it out! :-)
#5 Posted by milosbeli (1045 posts) -

Get Warcraft 3 The Frozen throne. There are millions of tower defense maps, some feel like a completely different gamealvaro_pg

yes wc3 has some excellent td games

#6 Posted by Combii (755 posts) -

Plants vs Zombies

#7 Posted by mkaliaz (1979 posts) -

Defense Grid!

I was lucky enough to find it for $2 on Steam during the holidays. I'm sure it will go on sale again at some point if you want to wait, or if not, I doubt its very expensive.

#8 Posted by Daytona_178 (14962 posts) -

Paying = plants vs zombies

free = desktop tower defence (checking out defence grid now)

#9 Posted by Mograine (3666 posts) -

WC3+TFT.

Tower Defenses have evolved from scratch to what we know today thanks to this game. The amount of TDs in it is virtually unlimited.

#10 Posted by JonSnow777 (787 posts) -

Plants vs. Zombies. It's one of the most addictive games I've ever played.

#11 Posted by cybrcatter (16210 posts) -

Defense Grid, followed by PvZ, and the WC3 mods are all over the place.

Oslaugh 2 has more depth and complexity than all of them, but it isn't as pretty (it is FREE though).
Desktop Tower Defense is pretty good too, and also FREE.

#12 Posted by AFBrat77 (23988 posts) -

[QUOTE="Delius"]

Willsi100

Sweet, I will check it out! :-)

Nice to hear, I picked up Defense Grid over the end-of-year Steam sale, haven't played it yet though.

#13 Posted by Seemples (41 posts) -

Agree with the Warcraft 3 + Frozen Throne suggestions. So many variations of TD.

#14 Posted by jedikevin2 (5172 posts) -

Harvest: Massive encounters. I play that all the time.

#15 Posted by True_Sounds (2883 posts) -

Defense grid is a fun tower defense game.

Plants v Zombies is a cute and over-hyped gimmic of a game, but with it's simplicity I cannot recommend it to you. The game is pretty much 1 dimensional ffs. It will not satisfy tower defense urges but you may like it nonetheless. I enjoyed it, for what it was worth.

#16 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -

Plants vs Zombies

Combii
This + Demigods.
#18 Posted by JonSnow777 (787 posts) -

Plants v Zombies is a cute and over-hyped gimmic of a game, but with it's simplicity I cannot recommend it to you. The game is pretty much 1 dimensional ffs. It will not satisfy tower defense urges but you may like it nonetheless. I enjoyed it, for what it was worth.

True_Sounds

LOLnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Totally false. There's so much content in that game it's unbelievable. And there are so many ways to tackle each level. I mean, you can totally customize your setup and prioritize sun farming, gold farming, or whatever. Ii've gone from experimenting with cheap backup and minefields to heavy hitters and everything in between.

#19 Posted by jedinat (3560 posts) -
Burbenog TD
#20 Posted by True_Sounds (2883 posts) -

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

JonSnow777

LOLnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Totally false. There's so much content in that game it's unbelievable. And there are so many ways to tackle each level. I mean, you can totally customize your setup and prioritize sun farming, gold farming, or whatever. Ii've gone from experimenting with cheap backup and minefields to heavy hitters and everything in between.

As in PHYSICALLY one dimensional. Sure you can beat a level a million different ways, but when the playing field is one dimensional it will get old fast regardless. If you count the moles that dig from behind and the polevaulters, it is 2d in some instances, but it's still very very simplistic. A good game but not a good hardcore tower defense rec in my books.

Normal tower defense games are 2 dimensional (defense grid is 3 dimensional). IMO it adds necessary depth to the play.

#21 Posted by cybrcatter (16210 posts) -

Harvest: Massive encounters. I play that all the time.

jedikevin2
Thanks for this suggestion mate. I bought it last night and have been enjoying it immensely. It's not as pretty as Defense Grid, but but the gameplay is more compelling.
#22 Posted by adrook (1 posts) -

I've always loved tower d games. I came across this forum after playing Sanctum that just came out on Steam. I'd highly reccomend it to everyone. It's tower d with a first person shooter element so its pretty entertaining. Only downside is its very short. 3 levels total of 75 waves.

#23 Posted by hypoty (2825 posts) -

I've always loved tower d games. I came across this forum after playing Sanctum that just came out on Steam. I'd highly reccomend it to everyone. It's tower d with a first person shooter element so its pretty entertaining. Only downside is its very short. 3 levels total of 75 waves.

adrook

I've been playing that for a few days and I definitely encourage the TC to try it out. A unique take on the TD genre.

#24 Posted by blueflame8 (107 posts) -

True_Sounds
Exactly this. I just find Plants vs Zombies very boring.
#25 Posted by pelvist (4466 posts) -

Google Cursed Treasure that one was pretty good.

#26 Posted by menes777 (2643 posts) -

[QUOTE="JonSnow777"]

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

True_Sounds

As in PHYSICALLY one dimensional. Sure you can beat a level a million different ways, but when the playing field is one dimensional it will get old fast regardless. If you count the moles that dig from behind and the polevaulters, it is 2d in some instances, but it's still very very simplistic. A good game but not a good hardcore tower defense rec in my books.

Normal tower defense games are 2 dimensional (defense grid is 3 dimensional). IMO it adds necessary depth to the play.

LOL One dimensional means something like a straight line or just length. The very first level in PvZ is one dimensional. Two dimensional means something like a flat box or it has length and width (or infinite flat plane). Every other level after the first one is thus 2nd dimensional. Three dimensional means it has length, width, and height. Something almost every advanced PvZ level has. There is the underground and underwater. There is the normal playing field and then there is above (Balloon & Bungies zombies). Not to mention you are attacked by catapults which wouldn't be possible on a 1 or even 2 dimensional map.

Going by your logic Defense Grid is also 1 dimensional and 2 dimensional at times as well (the planes don't show up all the time and are non-existent on grinder mode). Yes the models are 3D while PvZ are 2D (DG is based on Gamebryo afterall) but that doesn't mean the basic concept is that much different. DF has alot more varied maps then PvZ but PvZ has alot more content then DF. Both are enjoyable in their own right they just play in different ways and have different content to offer.

#27 Posted by xXDrPainXx (4001 posts) -
Sanctum is probably the best I have played mixing in traditional Tower Defense with FPS elements and in the near future up to 4 player Co-Op defense grids which should be fun.
#28 Posted by Kinthalis (5251 posts) -

My favorites so far have been:

Defense Grid

Anomaly: Warzone Earth - this one is intrguing as it's a play on the usualy tower defense game in which you are the creeps, tryign to take out the towers and get to your goal. A lot of fun.

Plants vs Zombies

Gratuitous Space Battles - not quite tower defense but it's a similar concept.

Also dungeon defenders (coming out soon) looks promising. also revenge of the titans and sanctum aren't bad.

Defense grid is on sale on Steam for $5.

#29 Posted by iloveshabu (1 posts) -
survival unlimited lvl 88 a friend of mine told me he got to 120+ {o.o} im not sure i can believe that
#30 Posted by marshbaboon (417 posts) -

Toy soldiers is excellent. Its only on XBLA at the moment but I believe it should be coming to steam soon if I'm not mistaken. There's a sequel in the works too.

#31 Posted by Robya (4 posts) -
If you're looking for something more frenetic, the indie game Spoids is pretty good. It's up on Desura: http://www.desura.com/games/spoids
#32 Posted by QQabitmoar (1969 posts) -

Warcraft 3 and TFT

Seriously. Everytime I need to play a TD game, I just hop on WC3. Green TD, Element TD, Mafa TD, Gree Circle TD, MArvel TD, younameititpropablyfvckingexistsTD. You will never run out of TDs to play. And Warcraft 3 can run on a toaster so that's even better.

#33 Posted by N30F3N1X (7956 posts) -

Warcraft 3, no doubt.

#34 Posted by mhofever (3952 posts) -

Defense Grid did it for me. Really enjoyable.

#35 Posted by ionusX (25712 posts) -

If you're looking for something more frenetic, the indie game Spoids is pretty good. It's up on Desura: http://www.desura.com/games/spoidsRobya
reported for thread necromancy