This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by krazyorange (2631 posts) -
I've got thief deadly shadows and theif 2 laying around on a PC gamer dvd, but I haven't played 2 yet (DS was great). I've been around on amazon and thief 1 is cheap ($5 w/ shipping). I was wondering out of thief and thief 2 which was a better game (any aspect, but mainly the overall game). any comments appreciated. and yes, I picked George Washington in an upset (never pick upsets outside of 8 v 9)
#2 Posted by Royas (1354 posts) -
I personally like Thief 2 better, but that's not saying the first Thief game wasn't worth playing.  It's definitely worth getting and loading up.  I enjoyed Thief 2 better because it had the same feel and tense gameplay as the first game, but added more options, more gadgets, and better technology.  So, there was nothing lost, and plenty gained.  Deadly Shadows was pretty good too, but I didn't get the same feel for it as I got from the first two games.  At least it didn't suffer as much from its consolization as Deus Ex 2: Invisible War did.
#3 Posted by bogaty (4750 posts) -
I think Thief 2 was by far the best in the series (although Deadly Shadows had a few amazing levels like the asylum). I'd give the original Thief a miss. When they brought it out, they weren't sure a pure stealth game would sell, so they hedged their bet and much of the middle game plays more like a straight up combat game.
#4 Posted by krazyorange (2631 posts) -
thanks for the heads up - wont spend the $5 until after I beat thief 2 then.
#5 Posted by ttomm1946 (1871 posts) -
by the way Krazy if your going to come to my thread and correct my spelling try spelling thief 2(not theif 2)..If you can't spell .don't throw stones..
#6 Posted by the_mad_madman (316 posts) -
They're all great, and I'd say pick up Thief 1 without hesitation. The story in Thief 1 is excellent with one of my favorite cutscenes of all time, who doesn't love the Trickster? It's also got a few great levels. Who hasn't been scared while playing the Haunted Cathedral or been utterly confused and lost in Constantine's Mansion?

It's a great game... but yeah, I also preffered Thief 2. Still, pick up Thief 1, it's a win/win situation.
#7 Posted by byrofish (263 posts) -
If you're going to play both then I'd play the original first just to follow the story in the right order.

As to which is better, I think it depends on personal taste. Dark Project has a lot more undead and supernatural levels that some people don't like, but if you're a big fan of Deadly Shadows (Cradle and all that) you should get along with them.

And if you do enjoy old-school thief, be sure to check out the many fan missions available. I highly recommend The Seventh Crystal.
#8 Posted by krazyorange (2631 posts) -
by the way Krazy if your going to come to my thread and correct my spelling try spelling thief 2(not theif 2)..If you can't spell .don't throw stones..ttomm1946
The fact that your punctuation is even wrong on a retort is better than any I could throw at you.
#9 Posted by DrakeNOwns (537 posts) -
[QUOTE="ttomm1946"]by the way Krazy if your going to come to my thread and correct my spelling try spelling thief 2(not theif 2)..If you can't spell .don't throw stones..krazyorange
The fact that your punctuation is even wrong on a retort is better than any I could throw at you.

face it, you got ripped by a 60yr old.
#10 Posted by krazyorange (2631 posts) -
[QUOTE="krazyorange"][QUOTE="ttomm1946"]by the way Krazy if your going to come to my thread and correct my spelling try spelling thief 2(not theif 2)..If you can't spell .don't throw stones..DrakeNOwns

you are an idiot - let it go
#11 Posted by DrakeNOwns (537 posts) -
[QUOTE="DrakeNOwns"][QUOTE="krazyorange"][QUOTE="ttomm1946"]by the way Krazy if your going to come to my thread and correct my spelling try spelling thief 2(not theif 2)..If you can't spell .don't throw stones..krazyorange

you are an idiot - let it go

Just think its gay how people try to degrade somebody for the dumbest possible reason.. Spelling? And to answer your previous question Theif 2, though I like deadly shadows because of the asylum/Cradle level, greatest thief moment ever.
#12 Posted by wallydog63 (204 posts) -
Just ignore the children and they might just go away. As for the question. Get 1 first, although I'ld get thief 1 gold (more stuff). Then play 2, not that it really matters. The entire series kicks ass.
#13 Posted by Qixote (10775 posts) -
if you decided to treat yourself to experiencing Thief, then do it right. Thief 1(or Gold if you can get it), then Thief 2. And after that if you are desperate for more, play Deadly Shadows (notice I didn't refer to it as Thief 3?) although don't expect it to be much like the first 2 or nearly as good.
#14 Posted by spierdalaj666 (865 posts) -
I'll also say that Thief 2 was the best, although i recall the last level being a bit annoying (with all the bots roaming around). Thief is good as well but I always felt that it had too many missions where you encountered zombies (i know, the game is about stealth but having a limited supply of holy water sucked as well).

Thief 3 (and yes i will refer to it by that name) was a decent game but it generally lacked the atmosphere of the first two since the maps were obviously designed for consoles. I will still say that it was a fun game to play and the zombie ship level scared the **** out of me.