Best RPG series that have ever been made

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

persiankurosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 persiankurosh
Member since 2007 • 146 Posts

these are roleplaying game series that you choose to being the best.

none of them? so what do you think is the best RPG series?

dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
From those I think the best is Fallout
eva89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 eva89
Member since 2004 • 807 Posts
i think morrowwind is the best rpg for me.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Definitely Fallout.
bluearmykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bluearmykid
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts
Damn, I really loved Elder Scrolls' latest Oblivion but I just love Diablo more, maybe it's because it's one of my first games and I played it for like hundreds of hours... Never played Baldur's Gate and I don't really like Might and Magic.. Fallout is ok, just not my style I guess
bigbeebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 bigbeebis
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts
Morrwind rulzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

I think the best game of the lot is Fallout 1 followed by Baldur's Gate. As a series though I think the best of the ones mentioned are Might and Magic. I've played 4,5,6 and 7 and they were all very good games and some of my favorites.

Other good series you haven't included (I know, you can only have 5 options) are the Gothic games, the Ultima series and the Wizardry series. I'd still vote for M&M though.

persiankurosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 persiankurosh

I think the best game of the lot is Fallout 1 followed by Baldur's Gate. As a series though I think the best of the ones mentioned are Might and Magic. I've played 4,5,6 and 7 and they were all very good games and some of my favorites.

Other good series you haven't included (I know, you can only have 5 options) are the Gothic games, the Ultima series and the Wizardry series. I'd still vote for M&M though.

pug987

Yes you are right there are more good RPG series but I choose the series that are more popular.

Thank you for your attention.

LauLS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 LauLS
Member since 2006 • 180 Posts
I like all of them, but i prefer Baldur Gate among the RPG series.
persiankurosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 persiankurosh
I hope more come and vote.
Ney_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ney_
Member since 2006 • 166 Posts
Baldur's Gate all the way.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Diablo really isn't an "RPG" per say. And I've not really got into the Baldur's Gate series. So its between the Elder Scrolls and Fallout for me (which I've only played ESIV, ESIII, ESI (about an hour) and FO). For me, it is a simple choice. I quite enjoyed what little I played of Morrowind but because of the blight of Oblivion forever scarring my view of the Elder Scrolls series and making me forever hate Bethesda as an RPG developer I have to choose Fallout. Its creative sense of humour paired with the great story, setting and gameplay just make it one of the best RPG's ever made. And sadly, Bethesda is producing the third iteration in the Fallout series, which, by anything short of a miracle, will turn out to be yet another bland and uninspired RPG that appeals to the masses and is rated Teen.
svetislavciric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 svetislavciric
Member since 2007 • 147 Posts

The Elder Scrolls series is my choice. But if you've put KotOR series I would definitively vote for it.

I'm no Jedi; I'm just a guy with a lightsaber and a few questions.

ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
Baldur's Gate, no discussion. :)
persiankurosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 persiankurosh

Diablo really isn't an "RPG" per say. And I've not really got into the Baldur's Gate series. So its between the Elder Scrolls and Fallout for me (which I've only played ESIV, ESIII, ESI (about an hour) and FO). For me, it is a simple choice. I quite enjoyed what little I played of Morrowind but because of the blight of Oblivion forever scarring my view of the Elder Scrolls series and making me forever hate Bethesda as an RPG developer .foxhound_fox

why do you say Oblivion is a blight.I've played morrowind and oblivion.morrowind is great but Oblivion isn't better.it is alot better.not only it is a RPG but also it is a adventure and stealth game.

mac631

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 mac631
Member since 2006 • 168 Posts
i think morrowind is a good rpg..
Adam-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Adam-117
Member since 2007 • 238 Posts
wow really good thread, I had a hard time choosing but i went with Fallout, but we'll also have to see how good fallout 3 will be
weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts
Baldur's Gate, far and beyond the rest by miles and miles
Rotinaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rotinaj32
Member since 2007 • 331 Posts

Depends, I consider Fallen Realms more of the BG series, not just BG. This is because not only does it have BG1,2 it also has ID1,2 Planescape Torment, and NWN1,2. Considering all of those, BG wins no contest. Just considering BG1 and 2, I think its a tie between fallout and BG.

Thats not to say Diablo or Morrowind aren't good games, but they are much more action oriented, not RPG oriented.

NitroXXXCore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NitroXXXCore
Member since 2006 • 60 Posts
So far I like Morrow wind series. I have not played the whole game yet though I tend to play it someday.
MetalAzz666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 MetalAzz666
Member since 2007 • 38 Posts

While I like the series in your poll, I have to add a little series called Gothic.

All the other series are good, and my favorite of those has to be the Fallout series. Gothic is however of a different class. The Gothic series is actually a SERIES. Each part continues where the last one left off, and all three games put together feel like one big game. Now that is what I call a series! Not just loose installments, but one big game broken into three.

TenderBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 TenderBox
Member since 2006 • 289 Posts

Ithink the most fun i've ever had was playing Might and Magic VI The Mandate of Heaven back in 1999.

xsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xsa
Member since 2004 • 199 Posts

If you consider it from a techincal point of view, Baldur's Gate wins easily with the most advanced combat and magic system of them all.

If you look at it in terms of gameplay, Baldur's Gate wins easily since on high difficulty and against high-level foes you have to be extremely well prepared and one misstake usually kills your entire party in a second.

If you look at it on how well the story is made in the game, Baldur's Gate utterly obliterates the competition providing more content in the second game, including expansion, to write several novels(without having to use your imagination to fill in gaps all over the place). And before someone cries FALLOUT on this point, Fallout's story is quite linear, just that you can run around and do tons of crap all over the place, plenty of side-quests in BG2 are longer, more detailed, more interesting and more challenging than the whole FallOut serie(thinking especially of the lich buried all over Amn and several sub-plots in the Underdark).

Even if it may sound slightly anti-falloutish, it's not, it's just that BG1+2 was the pinnacle of PC RPG's before everything had to be in 3D to be acceptable.

And personal preference, Baldur's Gate. Probably played through all of them. BG; IWD; NWN; PS:T. more than thrice each. Just plain awesomeness if you like RPG's.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
KOTOR for me
UmaSama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25 UmaSama
Member since 2006 • 87 Posts
Oh boy, this is a tough one, between M&M which I played them all, including M&M9 wich kinda sucks compared to the rest, and BG geez, but BG2 is my all time favourite game, so I go with BG.
skrabblagg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 skrabblagg
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I really love all of these games; each has their own special charms. Choosing was very difficult.

The Elder Scrolls games, to me, were always so wonderful because of the open-ended nature of the gameplay, and because of the beautiful graphics; making the game's viewpoint first-person really allowed you to experience Tamriel. I was not on board for Arena or Daggerfall, as I didn't game then, but Morrowind and Oblivion created many, many fond memories.

The Diablo series was sweet because of how addictive it was leveling your character and getting loot. But at the same time, the game had a plot and an end, which made the aforementioned qualities so much better than there are in a game like Wow. Also, the monastery in Diablo 1 had such a great atmosphere about it and is one of my favorite dungeons ever.

I think the Might & Magic series suffers in this poll because a great game has not been released in it for a long time. Might and Magic VI was amazing, M&M VII was great too, but VIII and IX left a lot to be desired, and the company has disbanded now. The series had a first-person view like TES, but the strength of the story I think made M&M superior. Also, much cooler enemies. I remember slaughtering dragons and robots and those jackal-headed guys in Dragonsand and VARN, and then at the very end of M&M VI when you get laser guns and fight the devils in Sweet Water...classic!

But the Baldur's Gate series wins, hands-down, for my favorite RPG of all time. For one, the story is simply so fantastic, and the other characters are so compelling, that you are completely drawn into Faerun for the duration. Also, the 6-party mechanic is great, it makes combat really, really fun but also strategic (boring combat pops up in RPGs with some frequency, a la TES games in general and NWN). Also, its D&D rules, so how can you lose?

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Diablo really isn't an "RPG" per say. And I've not really got into the Baldur's Gate series. So its between the Elder Scrolls and Fallout for me (which I've only played ESIV, ESIII, ESI (about an hour) and FO). For me, it is a simple choice. I quite enjoyed what little I played of Morrowind but because of the blight of Oblivion forever scarring my view of the Elder Scrolls series and making me forever hate Bethesda as an RPG developer .persiankurosh

why do you say Oblivion is a blight.I've played morrowind and oblivion.morrowind is great but Oblivion isn't better.it is alot better.not only it is a RPG but also it is a adventure and stealth game.

Oblivion is a horrible RPG......Well not horrible, but just not great.

persiankurosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 persiankurosh
[QUOTE="persiankurosh"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Diablo really isn't an "RPG" per say. And I've not really got into the Baldur's Gate series. So its between the Elder Scrolls and Fallout for me (which I've only played ESIV, ESIII, ESI (about an hour) and FO). For me, it is a simple choice. I quite enjoyed what little I played of Morrowind but because of the blight of Oblivion forever scarring my view of the Elder Scrolls series and making me forever hate Bethesda as an RPG developer .onemic

OK.that's your idia mine is different.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="persiankurosh"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Diablo really isn't an "RPG" per say. And I've not really got into the Baldur's Gate series. So its between the Elder Scrolls and Fallout for me (which I've only played ESIV, ESIII, ESI (about an hour) and FO). For me, it is a simple choice. I quite enjoyed what little I played of Morrowind but because of the blight of Oblivion forever scarring my view of the Elder Scrolls series and making me forever hate Bethesda as an RPG developer .persiankurosh

Please, tel me, What makes the game so amazing other than the fact that you're in this huge world?(Which I can already pcik out of ton of faults from by itself)

persiankurosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 persiankurosh
[QUOTE="persiankurosh"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="persiankurosh"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Diablo really isn't an "RPG" per say. And I've not really got into the Baldur's Gate series. So its between the Elder Scrolls and Fallout for me (which I've only played ESIV, ESIII, ESI (about an hour) and FO). For me, it is a simple choice. I quite enjoyed what little I played of Morrowind but because of the blight of Oblivion forever scarring my view of the Elder Scrolls series and making me forever hate Bethesda as an RPG developer .onemic

Please, tel me, What makes the game so amazing other than the fact that you're in this huge world?(Which I can already pcik out of ton of faults from by itself)

first you tell me why users score of Oblivion for Xbox360 is 9.5(27839 votes) and for PC is 9.3(24723 votes).

master_blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#31 master_blue
Member since 2003 • 1791 Posts

The player reviews are so high because of the hype building up for a game makes them want to play it, and even if the game is initially fun they will deluge the review systems with OMG PERFECT 10'S I HAD GAME 2 HOURS ITS BRILL with a nice paragraph review! then maybe down the line when they get disappointed they'll still want to justify the purchase and continue with the absurd review scores but a few will see the light and give up or tone downthe fanboy reactions.

master_blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#32 master_blue
Member since 2003 • 1791 Posts

Out of those choices I preffered Fallout series, the combat was great, it was slightly darker and certainly more mature than most games released and not necessarily to a silly extent, the 1950's steretyped view of the future coupled with a post apocalyptical setting was a refreshing change compared to the usual RPG settings I had become accustomed to.

I still really like baldurs Gate 1/2 and ill agree that the fallout story isnt great but it is good and interesting the honor of best story in agame in my opinion would be Planescape Torment.

Yurand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Yurand
Member since 2004 • 35 Posts

Hmm there are many great rpg series for instance: Wizardry 1-8 or Ultima 1-9 + Ultima Underword or Icewind Dale 1-2. A love Fallout 1-2 and Bg 1-2 are great games, too. I must choose one so I pick Baldur`s Gate ( Minsc and Boo rulez ;) ).

btw. Oblivion sucks big time :(, Morrowind was good game with very good UI :)

jmanw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 jmanw
Member since 2006 • 298 Posts
I said baldur's gate but that's including neverwinter series and icewind dale series.
kristjanp07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 kristjanp07
Member since 2007 • 132 Posts
i had to make a decision between two great game collections, they were fallout and elder scrolls. though i loved fallout, i had to go with elder scrolls since m a long time fan but ive only known of fallout 4 about a year
pyire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 pyire
Member since 2003 • 224 Posts
As a series it's most defently Baulder's Gate, however by itself ES: Morrowind has to be my all time favorite. But then again, the poll asked what series and not what game, so yeah, Baulder's Gate for sure!
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#37 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts

Funny no one mentioned Disciples.. great game IMO..

I also voted for BG.. n yes.. like another before me I have played them since the beginning.. BG1, Tales of the Sword Coast, BG2, Throne of Baal, IWD1, Heart of Winter, IWD2, NWN1, Shadows of the Untertide (sp?), Hordes of the Underdark, NWN2, Planescape: Torment, KOTOR1, and Jade Empire

There is also games like Diablo, Hellfire, Diablo 2, Lord of Destruction, Space Hack, Fate, Sacred, Sacred Gold, and Sacred Underworld, Titan Quest, Titan Quest Immortal Throne, Dungeon Seige 1, Legends of Arrana (sp?), Dungeon Seige 2, and Hellgate London. of the clones I would choose Hellgate London and Sacred as the best of them.. no one can kick Diablo off the throne.. it is the "hack and slash" game. :)

TES were mentioned.. played those since Daggerfall but I hated.. HATED Oblivion.. the monsters lvl with you? are they just nuts? That ruins the challenge as well as at endgame feel of being "all powerful". Morrowind was much better by leaps and bounds.

Gothic series.. I loved Gothic 3.. a lot of fans didn't.. but since I never played the previous 2.. I wouldn't know.

No one mentioned Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines.. also a truly excellent game.

Played Fallout the original.. never bought Fallout 2, wasn't ready for the whole turn based gameplay ala Jagged Alliance. Although Disciples II kinda changed my mentality towards the genre.. which speaks volumes for me :)

Arx Fatalis also good.. but not "great" .. if on the X-box yes.. I would rank it up there with the best of RPGs.. but on the comp.. no.. Dark Messiah.. loved it.. probably due to playing so much of Arx, that I noticed loads of similarities.

I would mention some console RPGs that I enjoyed.. but this is mainly PC so, I'll leave that alone.. otherwise the list would be umm long? Long Live Star Ocean! :P

Forgot one.. The Witcher.. played a little of it.. liked what I played.. but got overly involved with HGL.. will get to it though! :)

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="persiankurosh"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="persiankurosh"]

first you tell me why users score of Oblivion for Xbox360 is 9.5(27839 votes) and for PC is 9.3(24723 votes).

Maybe because most of them are fanboys. Even then I really don't know why oblivion is scored so high. It is the only game I've ever encountered in my life where I literally cannot respect the praise its given. It just doesn't deserve it, especially when its predecessor morrowind was head over heels better than oblivion and yet isn't met with even an ounce of the same praise. I really wouldn't be surprised if bethesda had some "Talks" with review sites to favor their game more(Just look at their corporate history to know why.) as they've blackballed sites(RPG codex) that gave their game low scores.

Now if you want me to go into the details why oblivion isn't that good I can, but it might get a bit long.

imhioncrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 imhioncrak
Member since 2005 • 31 Posts
I loved all the Elder Scrolls games, they all placed you in a world that was just so amazing and came with an awesome storyline as a bonus
SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts
Diablo II was thesh!t...Chrono Trigger is my fav tho
persiankurosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 persiankurosh
[QUOTE="persiankurosh"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="persiankurosh"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="persiankurosh"]

Maybe because most of them are fanboys. Even then I really don't know why oblivion is scored so high. It is the only game I've ever encountered in my life where I literally cannot respect the praise its given. It just doesn't deserve it, especially when its predecessor morrowind was head over heels better than oblivion and yet isn't met with even an ounce of the same praise. I really wouldn't be surprised if bethesda had some "Talks" with review sites to favor their game more(Just look at their corporate history to know why.) as they've blackballed sites(RPG codex) that gave their game low scores.

Now if you want me to go into the details why oblivion isn't that good I can, but it might get a bit long.

you will say your idea that is different from others.we shouldn't say Oblivion is terrible.becuase some of you say it is.we usually look at majority.and majority of critics said that Oblivion is great.and bethesda can't buy all of them.you just want to say a good excuse{I'm not american so it may be wrong}for your Idea.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 onemic
ummm no not really. As I said look at bethesda's corporate history. I'm not saying they gave them all money to change their ratings, I'm just saying that if they did I really wouldn't be surprised in the least, as they are known for doing stuff like that.
Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#43 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Please, tel me, What makes the game so amazing other than the fact that you're in this huge world?(Which I can already pcik out of ton of faults from by itself) onemic

For starters, it has one of the best backstories of any RPG. At least if you take the time to look for it. The vast collection of books offers depth not usually seen in RPG's, which are usually about just making up a bunch of randomn names. The main quest isn't very good, although it does get quite a bit better once you get past the middle.

The combat system in the game is the most fun I have ever had in any RPG. This is one of the reasons Gamespot gave Oblivion a better mark than morrowind.

The fact that dungeons are updated with strongerand more impressive looking creatures as you progress. This gives you a very noticible sense of reward to see and fight these new creatures (which are usually more than just cooler looking) while at the same time ensuring you are not forced to a small element of the game world, with the rest being too easy or too hard. I mean, it's not perfect, and they did overdo it, but it's vastly better than games in which you are cut out of huge parts of the game.

The graphics look amazing. Stats might be what gets some people off in RPGs, but the reality is, no genre benefits from graphics more than an open-world RPG.

You have a high degree of character involvement. You sleep, in wilderness camps, inns, or your own houses. You can work your way to the top of various factions, which are usually interesting enough in backstory, while offering you decent rewards along the way. Even the main quest, once you get near the end, has some reward.

Marcius13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Marcius13
Member since 2007 • 81 Posts
I voted For TES because it`s just the best
persiankurosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 persiankurosh

[QUOTE="onemic"]Please, tel me, What makes the game so amazing other than the fact that you're in this huge world?(Which I can already pcik out of ton of faults from by itself) Cobra_nVidia

For starters, it has one of the best backstories of any RPG. At least if you take the time to look for it. The vast collection of books offers depth not usually seen in RPG's, which are usually about just making up a bunch of randomn names. The main quest isn't very good, although it does get quite a bit better once you get past the middle.

The combat system in the game is the most fun I have ever had in any RPG. This is one of the reasons Gamespot gave Oblivion a better mark than morrowind.

The fact that dungeons are updated with strongerand more impressive looking creatures as you progress. This gives you a very noticible sense of reward to see and fight these new creatures (which are usually more than just cooler looking) while at the same time ensuring you are not forced to a small element of the game world, with the rest being too easy or too hard. I mean, it's not perfect, and they did overdo it, but it's vastly better than games in which you are cut out of huge parts of the game.

The graphics look amazing. Stats might be what gets some people off in RPGs, but the reality is, no genre benefits from graphics more than an open-world RPG.

You have a high degree of character involvement. You sleep, in wilderness camps, inns, or your own houses. You can work your way to the top of various factions, which are usually interesting enough in backstory, while offering you decent rewards along the way. Even the main quest, once you get near the end, has some reward.

you are right.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19568 Posts
Easily the Fallout series, in my opinion (and I've played most of the games in the series listed, except for Daggerfall and some of the M&M games).
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 onemic

[QUOTE="onemic"]Please, tel me, What makes the game so amazing other than the fact that you're in this huge world?(Which I can already pcik out of ton of faults from by itself) Cobra_nVidia

For starters most of the books in oblvion were simply ripped from morrowind. There's very little in the way of new lore.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 onemic

For starters most of the books in oblvion were simply ripped from morrowind. There's very little in the way of new lore. Now you guys want my reason as to why oblivion just isn't that good of an RPG? Okay, but it might get a little long.

(This is an analysis of vanilla oblivion and vanilla oblivion only)

Oblivion is labeled as an RPG game. As an RPG the game is absolutely crap. Why? You ask? Because the basic fundamentals of an RPG are either pretty much non-existent in oblivion or just so dumbed down to the point of being broken. An RPG is supposed to have a focus on a story as well as characters, correct? Oblivion is sorely lacking in this area. I think everyone, even oblivion fans, know that the story within oblivion is very, very weak. The game does next to nothing to actually pull you into the story or even care about what happens. Hell, there aren't even very large incentives(Items, etc) that even attempt to pull you into the game. You're pretty much better off doing guild quests and the like. Did I even get into the characters and how they're completely forgettable? Not only do the various important NPC's completely lack any sort of defining characteristic that makes you remember of draw you to them, they seem pretty much devoid of emotion as well.(This would be more a fault on the voice actors) The attempted portrayal of fear, anger, etc. is extremely poor in comparison to other excellent RPG's(NWN, NWN2, BG 1 and 2, etc.) A great example of this poor portrayal is when you get to your first oblivion gate and a wood elf(I believe) runs up to you and starts telling you to run away. Everything from the character animations to the voice acting itself, shows a terrible portrayal of fear.

Bad story/characters? Check

What's the next thing that defines RPG's? Leveling and quests right? The former is where oblivion completely and utterly fails in, in pretty much every conceivable way. The leveling system in oblivion complete defeats the whole purpose of a leveling system in any RPG. By having all monsters level with you, the game not only becomes incredibly easy, but the amount of immersiveness, significantly drops when you get to the later levels and realize that a meager highwayman that used to have leather armor and a simple steel shortsword, now suddenly has daedric armor. If you really wanted to, you could beat the game using only your fists because of this ridiculous system. Quests on the other hand is something that oblivion actually does well, that is the quest interface. The game makes it easy for you to pick out existing quests very easily and find out where they are on your map. The actual quests on the other hand, while definitely no where near bad, in comparison to other RPG's it is lacking somewhat in that, you have no real choice in how to handle a quest. It's either an accept or deny format, while many other great RPG's give you much more depth in how you go around doing your quests(You could for example finish a quest, and then extort money from the NPC that gave you said quest, thus changing the original deal, or you could even get the quest info from the NPC, kill said NPC, and then loot his/her body for the item(s) that he/she said would give to you if you finished the quest) Oblivion uses a very straightforward and strictly linear approach to questing, limiting the amount of freedom you have.

Broken leveling system? Check.

Now the last thing that makes up an RPG is the immersiveness of its world, how you can feel apart of it, even though it's just a videogame. Oblivion is a little in between good and bad in this category, leaning toward bad. Although most oblivion fans always use the excuse "but oblivions world is amazing" to defend the game, that statement hold little water. Sure Oblivion's world is nice looking, I won't deny that, but damn, does the world scream generic all over itself. EVERYTHING looks the same. In comparison to most other RPG's and even oblivions predecessor, morrowind, oblivions world is bland. Dungeons look the same, oblivion gates look the same, most of the landscape looks the save. The only thing that's exempt from this are the cities of oblivion, which do have distinct characteristics, but once again in comparison to its predecessor, it's still lacking. (Just watch the morrowind video review/preview to see how unique morrowinds different cities/landscapes are) The NPC's, while different, lose that feeling somewhat when you talk to them and realize that it's the same two or three voice actors doing all of the NPC voices, with some voices that were for a specific NPC type(A young woman) being applied to another NPC type(An old beggar woman) depending on what conversation you engage in. This lack of immersiveness is what really kills oblivion from being a good RPG, as it pretty much affects the other categories I talked about in the above paragraphs.

Lacking immersiveness? Check.

Now as an RPG oblivion pretty much fails on all front. Anyone can see this. Though an ew arguments by oblvion fans are now "Well if you look at the game as an action adventure then its amazing" I find this statement very amusing because as an action adventure, the game is even worse!

What are the things that make up an action adventure game? Action? right? Meaning that the combat system has to be a strong point correct? Well not in oblivions case, as the combat component in oblivion when compared to action RPG's is downright horrible. There are quick attacks, and of course heavy attacks. The difference between the two is that you hold the LMB to do a heavy and click it to do a light. That's it. The only thing oblivion has above morrowinds combat system(Morrowinds combat system was universally panned, BTW for being way too simplistic, and basically being a clickfest)is that its animations are MUCH better than morrowinds and its inclusion of two additional heavy strikes(Depending on what directional button you press when holding the LMB). Of course this looks good , but as for gameplay it changes nothing. Instead of grinding down to a clickfest like morrowind, Oblivion grinds down to a glorified clickfest. Even Dark messiah has a better combat system and that game was panned for its combat being too simplistic as well.

Bad combat system? Check.

Not only does oblivion fail as an RPG, it fails as an action adventure game as well. Mind you when I say fail, I don't mean that the game is absolutely horrible, it's just that there are much better alternatives if you're looking for a quality RPG. The things I said in this post are simply only some of many problems with the game. I could talk about the crappy AI or the horrible oblivion gates, but of course, that's for another time.

persiankurosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 persiankurosh
[QUOTE="Cobra_nVidia"]

[QUOTE="onemic"]Please, tel me, What makes the game so amazing other than the fact that you're in this huge world?(Which I can already pcik out of ton of faults from by itself) onemic

For starters most of the books in oblvion were simply ripped from morrowind. There's very little in the way of new lore. Now you guys want my reason as to why oblivion just isn't that good of an RPG? Okay, but it might get a little long.

(This is an analysis of vanilla oblivion and vanilla oblivion only)

Oblivion is labeled as an RPG game. As an RPG the game is absolutely crap. Why? You ask? Because the basic fundamentals of an RPG are either pretty much non-existent in oblivion or just so dumbed down to the point of being broken. An RPG is supposed to have a focus on a story as well as characters, correct? Oblivion is sorely lacking in this area. I think everyone, even oblivion fans, know that the story within oblivion is very, very weak. The game does next to nothing to actually pull you into the story or even care about what happens. Hell, there aren't even very large incentives(Items, etc) that even attempt to pull you into the game. You're pretty much better off doing guild quests and the like. Did I even get into the characters and how they're completely forgettable? Not only do the various important NPC's completely lack any sort of defining characteristic that makes you remember of draw you to them, they seem pretty much devoid of emotion as well.(This would be more a fault on the voice actors) The attempted portrayal of fear, anger, etc. is extremely poor in comparison to other excellent RPG's(NWN, NWN2, BG 1 and 2, etc.) A great example of this poor portrayal is when you get to your first oblivion gate and a wood elf(I believe) runs up to you and starts telling you to run away. Everything from the character animations to the voice acting itself, shows a terrible portrayal of fear.

Bad story/characters? Check

What's the next thing that defines RPG's? Leveling and quests right? The former is where oblivion completely and utterly fails in, in pretty much every conceivable way. The leveling system in oblivion complete defeats the whole purpose of a leveling system in any RPG. By having all monsters level with you, the game not only becomes incredibly easy, but the amount of immersiveness, significantly drops when you get to the later levels and realize that a meager highwayman that used to have leather armor and a simple steel shortsword, now suddenly has daedric armor. If you really wanted to, you could beat the game using only your fists because of this ridiculous system. Quests on the other hand is something that oblivion actually does well, that is the quest interface. The game makes it easy for you to pick out existing quests very easily and find out where they are on your map. The actual quests on the other hand, while definitely no where near bad, in comparison to other RPG's it is lacking somewhat in that, you have no real choice in how to handle a quest. It's either an accept or deny format, while many other great RPG's give you much more depth in how you go around doing your quests(You could for example finish a quest, and then extort money from the NPC that gave you said quest, thus changing the original deal, or you could even get the quest info from the NPC, kill said NPC, and then loot his/her body for the item(s) that he/she said would give to you if you finished the quest) Oblivion uses a very straightforward and strictly linear approach to questing, limiting the amount of freedom you have.

Broken leveling system? Check.

Now the last thing that makes up an RPG is the immersiveness of its world, how you can feel apart of it, even though it's just a videogame. Oblivion is a little in between good and bad in this category, leaning toward bad. Although most oblivion fans always use the excuse "but oblivions world is amazing" to defend the game, that statement hold little water. Sure Oblivion's world is nice looking, I won't deny that, but damn, does the world scream generic all over itself. EVERYTHING looks the same. In comparison to most other RPG's and even oblivions predecessor, morrowind, oblivions world is bland. Dungeons look the same, oblivion gates look the same, most of the landscape looks the save. The only thing that's exempt from this are the cities of oblivion, which do have distinct characteristics, but once again in comparison to its predecessor, it's still lacking. (Just watch the morrowind video review/preview to see how unique morrowinds different cities/landscapes are) The NPC's, while different, lose that feeling somewhat when you talk to them and realize that it's the same two or three voice actors doing all of the NPC voices, with some voices that were for a specific NPC type(A young woman) being applied to another NPC type(An old beggar woman) depending on what conversation you engage in. This lack of immersiveness is what really kills oblivion from being a good RPG, as it pretty much affects the other categories I talked about in the above paragraphs.

Lacking immersiveness? Check.

Now as an RPG oblivion pretty much fails on all front. Anyone can see this. Though an ew arguments by oblvion fans are now "Well if you look at the game as an action adventure then its amazing" I find this statement very amusing because as an action adventure, the game is even worse!

What are the things that make up an action adventure game? Action? right? Meaning that the combat system has to be a strong point correct? Well not in oblivions case, as the combat component in oblivion when compared to action RPG's is downright horrible. There are quick attacks, and of course heavy attacks. The difference between the two is that you hold the LMB to do a heavy and click it to do a light. That's it. The only thing oblivion has above morrowinds combat system(Morrowinds combat system was universally panned, BTW for being way too simplistic, and basically being a clickfest)is that its animations are MUCH better than morrowinds and its inclusion of two additional heavy strikes(Depending on what directional button you press when holding the LMB). Of course this looks good , but as for gameplay it changes nothing. Instead of grinding down to a clickfest like morrowind, Oblivion grinds down to a glorified clickfest. Even Dark messiah has a better combat system and that game was panned for its combat being too simplistic as well.

Bad combat system? Check.

Not only does oblivion fail as an RPG, it fails as an action adventure game as well. Mind you when I say fail, I don't mean that the game is absolutely horrible, it's just that there are much better alternatives if you're looking for a quality RPG. The things I said in this post are simply only some of many problems with the game. I could talk about the crappy AI or the horrible oblivion gates, but of course, that's for another time.

go here and argue there.you can get your answer better there.because I wo'nt have much time in this week that is coming.ok??

Ironfungus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ironfungus
Member since 2007 • 1123 Posts

these are roleplaying game series that you choose to being the best.persiankurosh

None of those. But from the PC, I'd have to choose KOTOR.