Best quick explanation on why internet in America sucks.

#1 Posted by Chatch09 (376 posts) -

I've known about the situation for awhile now but just stumbled across this. I know it might be old news for some but unfortunately not everyone pays attention....and Its not just Verizon....

#2 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23615 posts) -

0:55 he has no idea what he is talking about(he never does)

I don't know exactly(but more than him) but the issue is that Netflix used to peer with cogent as their tier 1 backbone for most isps like Comcast. Comcast does not have a very fast transit with Cogent, so Netflix users are slowed down.

Comcast does not want to upgrade their lines with Cogent so they would rather have Cogent/Netflix pay for it themselves. Netflix and pretty any sane person would argue that the isp's customers are the ones paying for the peering/upgrades already.

I've never really had good speeds through Cogent through any network, so I think it's more Cogents fault than anyone's. Other tier 1 internet providers like level 3 are good, I've never had issues with them.

#3 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

Making people who use more pay more? OMG how terrible!

In reality though he is bullshitting when saying "raise prices on heavier user to keep the internet healthy".....ummmm no. All you are doing is screwing people with less money, people who can afford it will continue to use the internet the same as they always have. This is about cashing in on those people. Greed? Not really, more like business. The only problem here is there is an internet provider monopoly in too many areas where you have little choice. As long as there are options they can compete with each other for your service.

#4 Posted by Chatch09 (376 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_ You mean about ISPs wanting Netflix to pay them? Because thats actually true....and why shouldn't ISPs pay to upgrade their networks? Especially seeing as they were given tax-breaks to do just that! If it wasn't for Google Fiber, they probably wouldn't bother going through the steps they are now finally taking to upgrade their networks. That kind of competition is exactly what we need to see the improvements that we should honestly already have (like years ago actually). Without it, you just get monopolies that raise prices without upgrading anything.

@vfibsux Usage really shouldn't be a factor in my opinion. Generally, the people who "use more" are "paying more" because they pay for faster speeds but the problem is they are not getting the speeds they paid for (in most applications) and ISPs are giving us bullshit excuses to dodge the fact that they have been filling their pockets (and bribing the right people) instead of upgrading their network infrastructures. Like I said above, Google Fiber is going to help from a competition stand point but it is only available in a handful of areas and it doesn't look like they will be expanding very fast...

#5 Posted by General_X (9032 posts) -

@Chatch09 said:
the problem is they are not getting the speeds they paid for

This, it's what really grinds my gears. I'm paying out the ass for 50meg cable internet and yet my Netflix videos still take forever to buffer in the beginning. Charging Netflix becuase people are actually starting to use the bandwidth they're already paying for seems wrong.

#6 Edited by The_Stand_In (396 posts) -

One ISP to rule them all...

#7 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23615 posts) -

@Chatch09 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ You mean about ISPs wanting Netflix to pay them? Because thats actually true....and why shouldn't ISPs pay to upgrade their networks? Especially seeing as they were given tax-breaks to do just that! If it wasn't for Google Fiber, they probably wouldn't bother going through the steps they are now finally taking to upgrade their networks. That kind of competition is exactly what we need to see the improvements that we should honestly already have (like years ago actually). Without it, you just get monopolies that raise prices without upgrading anything.

I said that ISPs like Comcast want Netflix to pay them for them, I didn't disagree with it. It's just that he is yelling without any giving any details.

Yes there are a lot of tax-breaks for ISPs to upgrade their Internet and they often just pocket it.

The last mile infrastructure in most areas with Comcast is the same. They have 8-16 downstream channels and 3-4 upstream channels. They just control the pricing in non competitive areas because they can. I definitely want them to be regulated more because the jitter, latency, and prices are all too high.

If you want some actual info check out dslreports.com

#8 Posted by Chatch09 (376 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_ Oh ok, well he is ranting, and its pretty funny honestly, but that is the gist of whats going on. I do agree that a lot of times Logan rambles on and on without really knowing any facts or details, but Wendell is always there to correct him lol. DSL Reports is a review site by the consumers isn't it?

#9 Posted by Chatch09 (376 posts) -

@The_Stand_In said:

Oh hell no....I really hope you're being sarcastic...

#10 Posted by The_Stand_In (396 posts) -

@Chatch09 said:

@The_Stand_In said:

Oh hell no....I really hope you're being sarcastic...

Of course I am. Comcast/Time Warner are terrible. They nearly have a monopoly in cable on the Northern Eastern Seaboard and Midwest with the Time Warner buyout and that's only going to make the worst ISP of them all even more horrible. The only ISP left standing in their way that is competitive price wise (where I live in Southwest Ohio) is AT&T and they are MUCH slower (half the speed) and unreliable at best. Luckily, I think Comcast is forfeiting my region to Charter after the buyout, so maybe they will be decent. But still, only having two viable options for internet sucks.

#11 Edited by Chatch09 (376 posts) -

@The_Stand_In: Hahahaha, glad you were not serious about that because Im sure that at least 90% of past and present customers would say otherwise. AT&T sucks too and Verizon Fios is over-priced (if its even available in your area) although it is probably the most reliable. Im seriously tempted to move to one of the few areas that has Google Fiber, 10 gigabits (1280 mbps/sec) for $70 a month man. Verizon Fios only goes up to 500 mbps/sec (and only in certain areas) and costs a ridiculous $300 a month!