Best perks in Skyrim?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jhonny7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jhonny7
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I'm level 16 and have put all my perk points in destruction, conjuration, one handed and light armour. Don't feel like wasting perk points on things like enchanting, blacksmithing etc but worried that maybe I'll loose out on some good stuff if I totally ignore those things.

Timk1931

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Timk1931
Member since 2005 • 698 Posts

The perks that let you zoom in on the bow and slow down time are very useful. There's also a perk in pickpocketing that increases your carrying capacity by 100, which I am dying to get (takes forever to get pickpocketing up to level 50). I wouldn't waste any perks on lockpicking. Once you join the theives guild you can find someone who sells a ton of lockpicks, and the locks become generally easy to pick once your level goes up to like 50.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Well obviously it depends what you want to do.

Also from what I've seen on the forums, the thing the illusion trainer in the College says: "Illusion is the most underappreciated school" seems to be true. Not sure why, it's pretty good and even better for those that like to sneak.

malikmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 malikmmm
Member since 2003 • 2235 Posts
my fav are the one i think for shield that would slow down time whenever the enemy uses that powerfull strike, so giving to time to move away from the attack or counter attack. for heavy armor you can choose to pickup that perk that makes heavy armor weight close to zero, i havent gotten there up yet since i am still level 19 yet though.
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

If you mean "how can I achieve 3K to 16K health points in a single attcak?" this is your guide:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1266212-2469-armor-3199-damage-using-smithing-alchemy-enchanting-only-31-perks/

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

It's really your choice. Some perks might be better for max damage than others. For the most part, you can beat the game with any combination. Maybe if you purposely invest in non-combat perks you might be really weak in some of the forced combat scenarios, but you probably have to work at it break your character.

Slonor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 Slonor
Member since 2004 • 272 Posts

That's dumb. You invested in the spell schools but not in enchanting? Enchanting is the most powerful perk tree in the game. If you get enchanting up to 100 and get all the perks (except the soul siphon branch - useless), you can enchant armor, rings and amulets to 25% spell school cost reduction. Get 4 items like that and you can cast ANY spells from a single school entirely for free. Plus you get an extra effect per armor and 2 more armor pieces (2 effects each) to play with. You can easily get close to 100% damage reduction for a type of damage like frost. That's right, enchant some armor to 25% reduction in destruction and you can cast fully charged fireballs for free. Completely. Your magicka bar won't even show up when you use the spell. That means you can be a shield + sword warrior with all related fighting perks by level 60 (this includes the smithing perks needed for Daedric smithing) that can cast fireball for free. Yeah, the magic school perks don't seem so useful now, do they? The main perks there just give you cost reduction to spell schools, but who cares about that when you can cast the spells for free?

xtenfoldx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xtenfoldx
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ angry nerd syndrome

Lighten up, Francis.

He's right, though. Enchanting is the nuts.

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
one handed is pretty cool. if you have gloves that do double backstab damage, you can eventually do a sneak attack with a dagger that does 30x damage.
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

If you want to roll through the game and have 0 challenge? Blacksmithing, enchanting and alchemy. Other then that just play the way you want. Theres no real best way to play a single player game :P

gamerns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gamerns
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

That's dumb. You invested in the spell schools but not in enchanting? Enchanting is the most powerful perk tree in the game. If you get enchanting up to 100 and get all the perks (except the soul siphon branch - useless), you can enchant armor, rings and amulets to 25% spell school cost reduction. Get 4 items like that and you can cast ANY spells from a single school entirely for free. Plus you get an extra effect per armor and 2 more armor pieces (2 effects each) to play with. You can easily get close to 100% damage reduction for a type of damage like frost. That's right, enchant some armor to 25% reduction in destruction and you can cast fully charged fireballs for free. Completely. Your magicka bar won't even show up when you use the spell. That means you can be a shield + sword warrior with all related fighting perks by level 60 (this includes the smithing perks needed for Daedric smithing) that can cast fireball for free. Yeah, the magic school perks don't seem so useful now, do they? The main perks there just give you cost reduction to spell schools, but who cares about that when you can cast the spells for free?

Slonor

Man, you really know how to make a guy feel old.:|

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

The perks that let you zoom in on the bow and slow down time are very useful. There's also a perk in pickpocketing that increases your carrying capacity by 100, which I am dying to get (takes forever to get pickpocketing up to level 50). I wouldn't waste any perks on lockpicking. Once you join the theives guild you can find someone who sells a ton of lockpicks, and the locks become generally easy to pick once your level goes up to like 50.

Timk1931
I have been able to pick every lock I've come across so far and I have no points invested in lockpicking. You don't need it. Cool tidbit on the pickpocketing, I definitely want 100 carry capacity increase. :)
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

If you want to roll through the game and have 0 challenge? Blacksmithing, enchanting and alchemy. Other then that just play the way you want. Theres no real best way to play a single player game :P

Prexxus
Agreed. I don't care about being almighty and powerful being of Skyrim. I am already killing everything in my path and I'm playing the way I want. I haven't used enchanting or alchemy yet, although I am leveling up Smithing for the badass armors. :)
OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts
Lockpicking is a joke..even Master locks only require a couple of lock picks to open. Never wasted a perk on that. But for the rest...just play the way you want. There is no wrong way.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Ill like to like know what are good perks to build on. Im using one hand with shield but is getting meh with the mobs since I take too much damage before I can kill them and my magic is not that strong.

The best trick to level up is smack the greybeards to boost your sneak and leather gauntlets for smitting level.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Here's the correct answer only one or two people have given you. IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. All of these people are giving you what thy think is the best because they are using that type of character. Ignore them, play the way you want, and everything will be great.
hydroplaner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hydroplaner
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Holy crap! Thanks for the good info. A bit harsh perhaps, because not everyone rocks at Skyrim -- we hope to learn from wizards like you someday. But thanks for the info as keep clueing us in on these tricks. Back to Skyrim...
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#18 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

The zoom-in perk for the bow is indeed pretty essential if you are bothering with archery at all. Even if you don't, it makes observing an enemy camp much easier.

I'm also really fond of the sneaking perk that lets you do 15x normal damage with a dagger sneak attack. Combine it with the shrouded gloves you get from the Dark Brotherhood, and you'll have a 30x damage bonus when you do a sneak attack with a dagger. You can even one-hit-kill giants by just stabbing them in the back.

Other cool perks are the ones you can unlock for both one-handed and two-handed combat, where it lets you decapitate the enemy. Not that valuable gameplay-wise, but it looks awesome.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

The zoom-in perk for the bow is indeed pretty essential if you are bothering with archery at all. Even if you don't, it makes observing an enemy camp much easier.

I'm also really fond of the sneaking perk that lets you do 15x normal damage with a dagger sneak attack. Combine it with the shrouded gloves you get from the Dark Brotherhood, and you'll have a 30x damage bonus when you do a sneak attack with a dagger. You can even one-hit-kill giants by just stabbing them in the back.

Other cool perks are the ones you can unlock for both one-handed and two-handed combat, where it lets you decapitate the enemy. Not that valuable gameplay-wise, but it looks awesome.

DraugenCP
i found out that you can pretty regularly use the level 100 Sneak perk to crouch and stealth and get an instant backstab on somebody that's facing you and already knows you're there. it makes it pretty funny - a dragon can come in, land, he starts breathing fire at you, then you 'backstab' him in the flaming mouth for 30x edit: and if you are going to try it, it's that if you crouch and immediately do a normal swing as you crouch, there's a half-second window where the enemies lose sight of you. it doesn't work with power attacks, and doesn't seem to work the first swing usually.
smurfdamurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#20 smurfdamurf
Member since 2008 • 66 Posts

you definitely should level up smithing and enchanting. Enchanted deadra weapons and armor destroy everthing.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Eh I wouldn't worry about what best perks to get, the game is pretty easy enough as it is (even on master).

coyotemojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 coyotemojo
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Best perk in the game is dual enchantment. No question. All the Alchemy bonus perks, to max out your enchanting potion bonus Smithing skill for your favored weapon and armor is a must. If you use enchanting right, you can avoid all the novice/adept/expert/master perks and save perk picks that way. I don't get them unless they're on the path to a perk I really want. My favorites: For Hack and Slash Heavy armor conditioning Savage strike. Allows you to cut off heads every once in a while. Not a huge benefit to your game, but it makes it a lot more fun. Archery Eagle eye - zooms in for range combat. Mage Destruction - Impact It staggers long enough to zap them again. You can kill a dragon priest before they can get an attack in. Dual conjuration is cool Summon two Dremora Lords and watch the show. Illusion - Quiet casting. I haven't done the Alteration and Restoration perks. Some look good, but most can be matched or beat with enchantments. Maybe when I'm 70th level Thief Quick fingers Pickpocket extra pocket All of the sneak perks are cool, or on the path to cool perks.