• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by gogators4life (4654 posts) -

Hi, what do you think is the best PC RPG is? No MMO's in this poll. :P

#2 Posted by TrooperManaic (3747 posts) -
Final Fantasy 7... LOL but for real >=|
#3 Posted by Corvan (551 posts) -
I say Diablo because of its orignality and some dang good fun :)
#4 Posted by foxhound_fox (88681 posts) -
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. I have yet to delve deeply into the Fallout series and have found Vampire to be the greatest "role-playing" video game experience of my life.
#5 Posted by foxhound_fox (88681 posts) -
I say Diablo because of its orignality and some dang good fun :)Corvan

Diablo is more of a hack-n-slash action game than it is role-playing... :?

Doesn't stop it from being good though.
#6 Posted by TanKLoveR (5712 posts) -
I've only played a handful of RPG's on the pc. Diablo 2 is not an RPG per se and if i say Oblivion u guys will rip my head off. I have to go with what i played either The Witcher or Baldur's gate 2.
#7 Posted by biggest_loser (24057 posts) -

Deus Ex.

Mass Effect isn't far behind.

#8 Posted by Ravirr (7931 posts) -
Morrowind great modding community. Great for the PC. Awesome game.
#9 Posted by hogsy (93 posts) -
How about Oblivion?
#10 Posted by biggest_loser (24057 posts) -

How about Oblivion?hogsy

Its an action game not a proper RPG. IMO

#11 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -
Planescape: Torment?
#12 Posted by shalashaska88 (3087 posts) -

Oit. Where's the godly Knights of the old Republic?

KOTOR to me was the best RPG experience, rich characters, awesome graphics, cool combat system, and most important, an intriguing storyline.

#13 Posted by naval (11109 posts) -
planescape torment,
#14 Posted by Meska2 (392 posts) -
Diablo haha :)
storyline in my opinion is pretty cool.
#15 Posted by KudoS17 (1050 posts) -
Diablo
#16 Posted by TryDaBeardON (642 posts) -

Fallout 2.

Oblivion, Vampire:Bloodlines and Kotor 1 not too far behind.

#17 Posted by fireandcloud (5118 posts) -
baldur's gate 2.
#18 Posted by asad_azam (68 posts) -
oblivion
#19 Posted by gogators4life (4654 posts) -
Diablo is winning. :)
#20 Posted by eggdog1234 (831 posts) -
KOTOR and The Witcher for me. I really loved Mass Effect, but it seemed more like a interactive movie, than an RPG.
#21 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -
Bloodlines, easily.
#22 Posted by Mediocre_man90 (968 posts) -
The fact that Diablo has more votes than Fallout is frightening and disturbing to me. Fallout is the best PC roleplaying game, period, for the simple fact that you can pretty much do anything you can think of. That, in my opinion, is the definition of a Role Playing Game
#23 Posted by Spynz (19 posts) -
Neverwinter Nights 1
#24 Posted by Jsweet2k4 (2372 posts) -

Fallout 2.

Oblivion, Vampire:Bloodlines and Kotor 1 not too far behind.

TryDaBeardON
#25 Posted by Jsweet2k4 (2372 posts) -
The fact that Diablo has more votes than Fallout is frightening and disturbing to me. Fallout is the best PC roleplaying game, period, for the simple fact that you can pretty much do anything you can think of. That, in my opinion, is the definition of a Role Playing GameMediocre_man90
#26 Posted by Savatsky (913 posts) -
I say sacrifice... I really liked it, and it's really replayable :)
#27 Posted by Noldorin2646 (641 posts) -

baldur's gate 2.fireandcloud

Same opinion here.

#28 Posted by IzzyMaiden (11 posts) -
Oblivion. No other to date can match it's greatness.
#29 Posted by mo0ksi (12337 posts) -

The poll list should be like this:

Baldur's Gate 2

Fallout

KOTOR

Planescape Torment

Bloodlines

#31 Posted by chinaplayerGTA (6 posts) -
ME'story is too short!I
#32 Posted by Stargate_SG-1_ (343 posts) -

The Witcher.Hands down

#33 Posted by GodLovesDead (9752 posts) -
Morrowind.
#34 Posted by WildstarGoethe (270 posts) -
For me, it would be The Witcher, KotoR or Torment. I found those games more interesting than the ones listed. I haven't played Mass Effect though...and I won't unless they change their buggery.
#35 Posted by VoodooGamer (1864 posts) -

[QUOTE="Corvan"]I say Diablo because of its orignality and some dang good fun :)foxhound_fox

Diablo is more of a hack-n-slash action game than it is role-playing... :?

Doesn't stop it from being good though.

Wait, does that mean the Gold Box games aren't RPGs either?

Diablo takes the root element of RPGs; combat and character development and uses that as it's main gameplay. It takes out all the fluff that has been a staple of RPGs for a long time and goes back to it's roots which results in one of the most addictive and enjoyable RPGs in existance.

#36 Posted by Mediocre_man90 (968 posts) -

Diablo takes the root element of RPGs; combat and character development and uses that as it's main gameplay. It takes out all the fluff that has been a staple of RPGs for a long time and goes back to it's roots which results in one of the most addictive and enjoyable RPGs in existance.

VoodooGamer

Yeah, problem is that the "fluff" you're talking about is what makes an RPG an RPG. You know, strong story, character development(and I mean that in the literary sense. finding new crap to outfit your character with isn't character development), freedom to explore and make decisions, control over how your character improves, and different options on how to resolve conflicts, rather than just violence. Diablo exists for the sole purpose of giving the player a reason to kill things. Sure, that's good for mindless fun sometimes, and it can get addictive, but it's not an RPG

#37 Posted by VoodooGamer (1864 posts) -
[QUOTE="VoodooGamer"]

Mediocre_man90

Yeah, problem is that the "fluff" you're talking about is what makes an RPG an RPG. You know, strong story, character development(and I mean that in the literary sense. finding new crap to outfit your character with isn't character development), freedom to explore and make decisions, control over how your character improves, and different options on how to resolve conflicts, rather than just violence. Diablo exists for the sole purpose of giving the player a reason to kill things. Sure, that's good for mindless fun sometimes, and it can get addictive, but it's not an RPG

So you're saying that Eye of the Beholder, Curse of the Azure Bonds, and Dungeon Master aren't RPGs?

Most of that fluff isn't even present in table-top DnD which many would say IS an RPG, but by your reasoning it isn't. The fact of the matter is, it's not needed for an RPG. It's good if you want your RPG to be more satisfying but it's not needed.

#38 Posted by Mediocre_man90 (968 posts) -

So you're saying that Eye of the Beholder, Curse of the Azure Bonds, and Dungeon Master aren't RPGs?

Most of that fluff isn't even present in table-top DnD which many would say IS an RPG, but by your reasoning it isn't. The fact of the matter is, it's not needed for an RPG. It's good if you want your RPG to be more satisfying but it's not needed.

VoodooGamer

You've obviously never played DnD. or, haven't played it right, at least. Just because all that stuff isn't written into a sourcebook for you doesn't mean it doesn't exist in the game, it's up to the Dungeon Master and the players to create it. Otherwise you're just playing a bundle of number wandering around graph paper, generating more numbers, and fighting groups of smaller number-bundles. It's up to the players to lay characters over the number framework generated by the game, and it's the job of the DM to give those characters a reason to do stuff. DnD also has character classes like Bard and Rogue for a reason: to allow varied styles of play, rather than simply rushing headlong into the fray every time you see an enemy.

#39 Posted by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -
Diablo should not be on the list.
#40 Posted by Daytona_178 (14962 posts) -
I loved Mass Effect!
#41 Posted by Aft3rsh0ck89 (117 posts) -
For me it would have to be KOTOR and Diablo 2
#42 Posted by Zillaschool (1590 posts) -
Kotor.
#43 Posted by claytoma (1508 posts) -
The Witcher
#44 Posted by k_ozz (1088 posts) -
The Witcher IMO..
#45 Posted by om3ga_storm (402 posts) -
KOTOR
#46 Posted by VoodooGamer (1864 posts) -

You've obviously never played DnD. or, haven't played it right, at least. Just because all that stuff isn't written into a sourcebook for you doesn't mean it doesn't exist in the game...Mediocre

The fact that a DM has to add those changes doesn't neglect the fact that it wasn't in the game originally. Ultimately, you kill and level up following a story, much like Icewind Dale and the Gold Box games.

Otherwise you're just playing a bundle of number wandering around graph paper, generating more numbers, and fighting groups of smaller number-bundles.Mediocre

Well considering the fact that DnD was postulated by playing War games, it kind of makes sense.

It's up to the players to lay characters over the number framework generated by the game, and it's the job of the DM to give those characters a reason to do stuff. DnD also has character classes like Bard and Rogue for a reason: to allow varied styles of play, rather than simply rushing headlong into the fray every time you see an enemy.

Mediocre

The fact that you can add "character" to the game doesn't change the fact that all you're doing is killing and leveling up. When a DM adds choices and all that "fluff" the core gameplay remains. ;)

~You also haven't answered my question, are the Gold Box games not RPGs?

#47 Posted by df853 (1433 posts) -

Of the ones you mentioned, I'd say Mass Effect... but Baldur's Gat I & II were awesome.

If I could choose whatever, I would say Oblivion, but ppl are saying that isn't a normal RPG, so I won't pick that one.

#48 Posted by RobbieH1234 (7464 posts) -
Fallout or Torment.
#49 Posted by YourOldFriend (4196 posts) -
The correct answer is a (tie) between Fallout 2 and Morrowind. Vampire, the Masquerade: Bloodlines follows and recieves a ribbon instead of a trophy.
#50 Posted by Mediocre_man90 (968 posts) -

The fact that a DM has to add those changes doesn't neglect the fact that it wasn't in the game originally. Ultimately, you kill and level up following a story, much like Icewind Dale and the Gold Box games.

Well considering the fact that DnD was postulated by playing War games, it kind of makes sense.

The fact that you can add "character" to the game doesn't change the fact that all you're doing is killing and leveling up. When a DM adds choices and all that "fluff" the core gameplay remains. ;)

~You also haven't answered my question, are the Gold Box games not RPGs?

VoodooGamer

Okay, don't believe me? try the DnD Player's Handbook, which says this, and I quote: "Your character is more than a combination of Race, Class, and Feats. he or she is also one of the protagonists in a living, evolving story line. Like the hero of any fantasy novel or film, he or she has ambitions and fears, likes and dislikes, motivations and mannerisms, moments of glory and failure. The best D&D characters blend the ongoing story of their adventuring careers with memorable characteristics or traits." and it goes further to say that "Even in combat, though, you can interject bits of personality and dialogue that maker your character more than just the statistics on your character sheet. Everything I listed that you said wasn't present is core to the enjoyment of any PnP RPG. One of the DM's most important jobs is crafting a strong story that keeps the players involved, and I'm sure it says so in the DM's guide (which I don't have). I've already proven that the character development is important, it says so in the Player's Handbook. Freedom to explore and make decisions is the whole point, that's why you're given so many skills to choose from. Control over how your character improves? D&D doesn't tell you how to level up, it gives you skill points, feats, or attribute points to spend as you see fit. Different options for conflict resolution? How do you explain skills like Move Silently, Bluff, Diplomacy, etc.? How about magic spells like ghost sound? If the only option you had was combat, there would be no place for Rogues or Bards, and Wizards would be alot less useful. Just because you may not play that way doesn't mean it's not an integral part of the game.

I know D&D was predated(I'm guessing that's what you meant, because postulated doesn't make sense there. sorry, pet peeve of mine) by wargames, but that doesn't mean anything. in wargames you control an army, and there's not much room for getting to know each soldier in said army. RPG's bring the focus down to a personal level, and without adjusting the aims of the genre accordingly, all you have left is a soulless, lifeless shell of a game. Armies go about their business using drastically different methods than an an elite commando, or a spy, or a diplomat, but all are necessary. Commandos use stealth to complete their objectives, without it they'd quickly be overwhelmed and killed or captured. Spies, theoretically, shouldn't have to use violence at all, they convince others to give them the information they want, then get out before they blow their cover. Diplomats persuade others to do what they want them to do. Armies march in and kill things. Get what I'm trying to say now? Wargames are about armies, RPGs are about bands of adventurers, each with unique talents and abilities.

Adding character to the game means that you don't have to kill to level up. I don't know about you, but I like multi-dimensional games that let me play how I want to play, rather than shoving me down a hallway filled with monsters and telling me when to swing.

I can't comment on the Gold Box games, because I haven't played them. I've gathered that they're based on the D&D franchise, but beyond that I'm not qualified to pass judgement.