Best M/B for Haswell?

#1 Edited by xhawk27 (7215 posts) -

I am building a new PC to replace my six year old one next month. I am going to get a 4th gen Intel CPU and I'll like to pair it with a good Motherboard. The price not more than $300.

#2 Posted by fred1266 (925 posts) -

i would say Asus, currently using one and have no problems and i think they have the most features just chose on around your budget

#3 Edited by groowagon (2741 posts) -

any mobo with Z87 chipset (i'd prefer ASUS). you don't need $300 for it, but you might wanna get one at around $200 that supports heavy overclocking, if that's your plan. even cheaper models will do just fine if hardcore overclocking is not your thing.

i personally went for the cheaper H87 chipset (mini ITX ASUS) since i don't need any overclocking capabilities (or SLI since it's ITX), but it turns out that with a new BIOS update this mobo supports overclocking. also doesn't hurt that they accidentally sent me i5-4670K CPU when i ordered the cheaper non-K version (K is unlocked, meaning that it overclocks) :D

basicly i'm all set for overclocking all by accident.

#4 Edited by xhawk27 (7215 posts) -

Ok thanks guys. msi or gigabyte do they have good boards.

#5 Posted by groowagon (2741 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

Ok thanks guys. msi or gigabyte do they have good boards.

they are reliable brands too.

#6 Posted by GarGx1 (2428 posts) -

I'm running a Gigabyte Z87X-U3DH with an i7 4770K. I'm not overly impressed with it, my original plan was to go with an Asus Maximus VI Hero and wish that I had done.

The Gigabyte board works well enough apart from often needing a 2 attempts at booting from standby. The capacitors also need a some time to charge when powering up from empty. Over all it doesn't fill me confidence so I haven't tried overclocking it yet (not that there is any real need atm either)

Stick with Asus or Asrock

#7 Posted by PredatorRules (7258 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

I am building a new PC to replace my six year old one next month. I am going to get a 4th gen Intel CPU and I'll like to pair it with a good Motherboard. The price not more than $300.

It depends, if you won't getting K version of that CPU and you don't plan on having more than 1 GPU you shouldn't waste more than 50$ on a MOBO.

If you plan to OC and not having more than 1 GPU then I recommend on MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate

If you do plan OC and more than 1 GPU I can recommend on ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer

#8 Posted by xhawk27 (7215 posts) -

Ok thanks, I think I am going to go either Asus or MSI. I plan on getting the I7 4770K CPU. I do plan on using a Corsair H80 for the cooling.

#9 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6417 posts) -

@xhawk27: I have a 4770K, H110, and a MSI Z87-G45 and I really like it, only $135 now on Newegg after MIR.

#10 Edited by xhawk27 (7215 posts) -

@AdamPA1006 said:

@xhawk27: I have a 4770K, H110, and a MSI Z87-G45 and I really like it, only $135 now on Newegg after MIR.

So does it have a lot of features? I need a board that is easy to overclock from the bios and support 3.0 PCI. I haven't built a PC in a long time.

#11 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6417 posts) -
@xhawk27 said:

@AdamPA1006 said:

So does it have a lot of features? I need a board that is easy to overclock from the bios and support 3.0 PCI. I haven't built a PC in a long time.

Tons of features and options. You can overclock it from the BIOS (which are real nice) or with some included programs. Heres some more info on it and some other competitors http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z87-express-motherboard-review,3582-14.html

#12 Posted by xhawk27 (7215 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@AdamPA1006 said:

Tons of features and options. You can overclock it from the BIOS (which are real nice) or with some included programs. Heres some more info on it and some other competitors http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z87-express-motherboard-review,3582-14.html

OK thanks. I'll decide between this one and Asus Maxiums VI.