Best Horror game on PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Sk8r4life70 (199 posts) -

i'm really into horror games anthe like so i'm planning on buying a good one for my comp.

the problem is my compute's graphics card is stock. So it can only run older games (the ones with alright graphics) such as 2001, 2002, and maybe 2003-2004 games.

Any suggestions?

#2 Posted by adamosmaki (9747 posts) -
Aliens Vs Predator. Is scary is Hard and at times it get fraustrating but is one of the best if not the best horror game ( play it as a Human )
#3 Posted by mimic-Denmark (4380 posts) -
Doom3 and Condemned are my favorite horror games on the pc.
#4 Posted by shalashaska88 (3087 posts) -

Try to look into Undying, or Doom 3.

Or you can try System Shock 2 if you want some challenge. I just got to play it now, and find that it is so different from the very forgiving Bioshock.

#5 Posted by TheCju (44 posts) -

I think a Penumbra game might be a good bet for you, the graphics look great but only require low end hardware to run.

They're more survival horror/puzzle solving than say, FEAR or Doom 3 but they have a pretty awesome atmosphere and feel to them.

#6 Posted by vash47 (2171 posts) -

It's too bad people haven't played The Suffering and its sequel.

They are not PC exclusive, but it is in fact the most horrific game in the last years, it's pretty disturbing, but awesome overall.

Though Alone in the Dark 1, 2, 3. carry the tile of the best horror game on PC.

#7 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -
System Shock 2 without question.
#8 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -

Seriously, how many disturbing/scary/horror topics can you make in a couple of days? Use the "Search" button.

Here are some games you might want to look into:

System Shock 2

System Shock 2

System Shock 2

Alien Vs Predator 2

Penumbra games

Call of Cthulhu

Doom 3 (jumpy scary)

Stalker

Resident Evil 4

Silent Hill series

FEAR + the first expansion

Haven't played them all myself, but those are the ones I can think of right now.

#9 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -

Resident Evil 4

artur79

I appreciate that fear is just as subjective as any other emotion, but you have got to be ****ing joking! Exactly what is it about RE4 that's even remotely frightening?

The only thing I would say is even vaguely frightening about the entire game is the dialogue, which feels like it was written by a team of ten year olds with [GameSpot-friendly euphemism].

Back when the RE series was a survival horror series, I can appreciate there being some sense of fear, but RE4 is far more about killing than it is surviving. It's a shoot 'em up with a twist of zombie.

#10 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -
[QUOTE="artur79"]

Resident Evil 4

fatshodan

I appreciate that fear is just as subjective as any other emotion, but you have got to be ****ing joking! Exactly what is it about RE4 that's even remotely frightening?

The only thing I would say is even vaguely frightening about the entire game is the dialogue, which feels like it was written by a team of ten year olds with [GameSpot-friendly euphemism].

Back when the RE series was a survival horror series, I can appreciate there being some sense of fear, but RE4 is far more about killing than it is surviving. It's a shoot 'em up with a twist of zombie.

I dunno, I said that I haven't played all the abovementioned games and that's one of the titles I haven't even touched on PC. I tried the Wii version for 10 minutes, I liked the atmosphere.

Anyway, whether you find it scary or not does not really matter. TC asked for a horror-game and last time I checked, RE4 falls under that category.

#11 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -

TC asked for a horror-game and last time I checked, RE4 falls under that category.

artur79

Yeah, well... if RE4 is a horror game, then so is Sam and Max Season 2. It also has zombies.

#12 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -
[QUOTE="artur79"]

TC asked for a horror-game and last time I checked, RE4 falls under that category.

fatshodan

Yeah, well... if RE4 is a horror game, then so is Sam and Max Season 2. It also has zombies.

Oh yeah..? Well, listen here, buddy! I...

Meh, too tired to whoop your ass verbally. I'll let you sit here and feel ashamed over the logical fallacy you just wrote.

#13 Posted by MannyCalavera16 (162 posts) -
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has some pretty creepy moments in it, as well as Condemned.
#14 Posted by lordlors (5612 posts) -
[QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="artur79"]

artur79

Meh, too tired to whoop your ass verbally. I'll let you sit here and feel ashamed over the logical fallacy you just wrote.

Have played the game and i would say that RE4 isn't scary but it does have a dark atmosphere. RE4 is more of an TPS or action game than survival horror. The enemies you fight aren't scary and the atmosphere isn't like hell (SH wins this). It's dark but not scary. The only thing that creeped me out was the regenerators. that was the only thing scary in the game.

#15 Posted by 190586385885857957282413308806 (13084 posts) -
[QUOTE="artur79"]

fatshodan

RE4 doesn't have zombies...

And also there than one form of fear. atmospheric, paranoia, shock...I think having 10 villagers running at you in all directions waving pitchforks, throwing axes and eating bullets like they're tic tacs qualifies as some sort of fear.

#16 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18415 posts) -

Aliens vs Predator

Aliens vs Predator 2

Condemned: Criminal Origins

STALKER

FEAR (good action, but far from scary)

Doom3 (i wasn't impressed, too dark, wasn't creepy and i just couldn't get into the game)

#17 Posted by bochero (472 posts) -

F.E.A.R

Condemmed

#18 Posted by biggest_loser (24105 posts) -
Ahem, yes good day. I would like to add the beloved Thief games to this list of "horror".
#19 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -
[QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="artur79"]

smerlus

And also there than one form of fear. atmospheric, paranoia, shock...I think having 10 villagers running at you in all directions waving pitchforks, throwing axes and eating bullets like they're tic tacs qualifies as some sort of fear.

Zombie is a blanket term for mindless enemies, and I think it certainly applies. They aren't the shuffling rotting corpses from earlier RE games, but then again, zombies got an upgrade in films a few years back, too. Whether they're alive or undead, and whether they move at .5 or 5 miles per hour, I consider them zombies.

As for your personal sense of danger qualifying as some sort of fear - all games where you're in danger, where the concept of self-preservation applies, have that to at least the same degree as seen in Resident Evil 4.

You never don't have enough firepower to deal with all the enemies quite comfortably. Resident Evil 4 is a high action frag fest - featuring zombies. Unless you're absolutely awful at games, you will never be hurting for health or ammo - and all of the gameplay mechanics are oriented towards killing enemies rather than surviving. Surviving is a given in RE4.

I just think it's BS that a game that has zombies and blood qualifies as being a horror game automatically. Soldier of Fortune has no less horror than RE4.

#20 Posted by fireandcloud (5118 posts) -
[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="artur79"]

fatshodan

Zombie is a blanket term for mindless enemies, and I think it certainly applies. They aren't the shuffling rotting corpses from earlier RE games, but then again, zombies got an upgrade in films a few years back, too. Whether they're alive or undead, and whether they move at .5 or 5 miles per hour, I consider them zombies.

As for your personal sense of danger qualifying as some sort of fear - all games where you're in danger, where the concept of self-preservation applies, have that to at least the same degree as seen in Resident Evil 4.

You never don't have enough firepower to deal with all the enemies quite comfortably. Resident Evil 4 is a high action frag fest - featuring zombies. Unless you're absolutely awful at games, you will never be hurting for health or ammo - and all of the gameplay mechanics are oriented towards killing enemies rather than surviving. Surviving is a given in RE4.

I just think it's BS that a game that has zombies and blood qualifies as being a horror game automatically. Soldier of Fortune has no less horror than RE4.

wait, so those were zombies in ass creed?! that does explain a lot...

#21 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -

wait, so those were zombies in ass creed?! that does explain a lot...

fireandcloud

Haha! I think they must have been.

#22 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -

Meh, Fatshodan, I still think you can categorize Resident Evil 4 as a horror game. It might not be a survival horror game, but a horror game? Sure, why not? Hell, a Nightmare on Elm street is not scary at all, yet it's a horror movie.

Although I have not played this game (I'm sure you'll somehow capitalize on this fact, if you decide to write a reply), a lot of people probably do find it scary. Same with Doom 3 and FEAR. Some are frightened by those games, some are not. One man's experience (no fear while playing the game) is not enough to throw the game into an "action TPS"-category like Uncharted, Max Payne or Gears. The game has enough typical characteristics to fall into the "horror" genre imo. (I've seen vids.)

#23 Posted by df853 (1433 posts) -

The scariest game I ever played was Outpost 2. The second I realized how awful it was, I was terrified that I was in hell and that all pc games had been turned terrible overnight and I would never again play a decent game ever.

Luckily I had Lords of the Realm 2 nearby and started playing that and I realized all was well.

#24 Posted by themubashir (1265 posts) -
for ur PC....these games mite be gud RESIDENT EVIL 3 INDIGO PROPHECY UNDYING CALL OF CTHULHU SILENT HILL 3
#25 Posted by Sot7thD (74 posts) -
Even though it's a very bad and buggy game STALKER scared me like no other.
#26 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -

Although I have not played this game (I'm sure you'll somehow capitalize on this fact, if you decide to write a reply), a lot of people probably do find it scary. Same with Doom 3 and FEAR. Some are frightened by those games, some are not. One man's experience (no fear while playing the game) is not enough to throw the game into an "action TPS"-category like Uncharted, Max Payne or Gears. The game has enough typical characteristics to fall into the "horror" genre imo. (I've seen vids.)

artur79

I can say with absolute certainty that no one finds Resident Evil 4 scary. I can speak for the entire community.

#27 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -
[QUOTE="artur79"]

fatshodan

I can say with absolute certainty that no one finds Resident Evil 4 scary. I can speak for the entire community.

Almost makes me want to create a thread asking that question. Almost...

#28 Posted by 190586385885857957282413308806 (13084 posts) -
[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="artur79"]

fatshodan

Zombie is a blanket term for the mindless undead. The people in RE4 aren't undead and not all of them are mindless... so that's why they aren't zombies.

Furthermore most Horror movies, especially slashers, have lead characters that have no chance of dying no matter how brutal and blood filled the movie is and those movies are still considered horror movies. Sounds a lot like RE 4 to me.

#29 Posted by zeppelin_64 (3924 posts) -
Condemned: Criminal Origins.
#30 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -
System Shock 2.
#31 Posted by Devouring_One (32311 posts) -
i say system shock 2, condemned, and doom 3
#32 Posted by mo0ksi (12337 posts) -

From what I've played in SS2, the game carries some seriously frightening moments. STALKER is probably second.

However the two games that gave me nightmares were Silent Hill 4 and Resident Evil 2. It's just unbelieveable.

#33 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -
[QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="artur79"]

smerlus

Zombie is a blanket term for the mindless undead. The people in RE4 aren't undead and not all of them are mindless... so that's why they aren't zombies.

Furthermore most Horror movies, especially slashers, have lead characters that have no chance of dying no matter how brutal and blood filled the movie is and those movies are still considered horror movies. Sounds a lot like RE 4 to me.

I don't like falling back on dictionary definitions to get through arguments, but it applies here. Two definitions of zombie from Dictionary.com:

the body of a dead person given the semblance of life, but mute and will-less, by a supernatural force, usually for some evil purpose.

a person whose behavior or responses are wooden, listless, or seemingly rote; automaton.

The second definition makes absolutely no mention of death or undeath. I don't see why one definition would be legitimate while another isn't. Perhaps I ought to say zombie-like when describing the RE4 chaps, but it's a pretty moot issue either way, and nothing but pedantry to bring it up.

The Resident Evil zombies are zombies. The Resident Evil 4 Ganados are zombies. The System Shock 2 hybrids are zombies. The Half Life 2 headcrab-guys are zombies.

#34 Posted by quocthai (1995 posts) -
[QUOTE="artur79"][QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="artur79"]

lordlors

Have played the game and i would say that RE4 isn't scary but it does have a dark atmosphere. RE4 is more of an TPS or action game than survival horror. The enemies you fight aren't scary and the atmosphere isn't like hell (SH wins this). It's dark but not scary. The only thing that creeped me out was the regenerators. that was the only thing scary in the game.

those regenerators really creep me out. I still remembered the rush when trying to shoot the parasite as they slowly walk to me

#35 Posted by 190586385885857957282413308806 (13084 posts) -

I don't like falling back on dictionary definitions to get through arguments, but it applies here. Two definitions of zombie from Dictionary.com:

the body of a dead person given the semblance of life, but mute and will-less, by a supernatural force, usually for some evil purpose.

a person whose behavior or responses are wooden, listless, or seemingly rote; automaton.

The second definition makes absolutely no mention of death or undeath. I don't see why one definition would be legitimate while another isn't. Perhaps I ought to say zombie-like when describing the RE4 chaps, but it's a pretty moot issue either way, and nothing but pedantry to bring it up.

The Resident Evil zombies are zombies. The Resident Evil 4 Ganados are zombies. The System Shock 2 hybrids are zombies. The Half Life 2 headcrab-guys are zombies.

fatshodan

If you're going to use a definition, use all of it and not just the parts that suit you. Your second definition also has the adjective "Wooden"

Wooden is defined as being stiff and clumsy. The Ganados not only can climb ladders and chuck things off the roof at you with impecable aim but they also run, jump through windows... pretty much the opposite of being stiff and clumsy

again, they're not zombies.

#36 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -
[QUOTE="fatshodan"]

smerlus

If you're going to use a definition, use all of it and not just the parts that suit you. Your second definition also has the adjective "Wooden"

Wooden is defined as being stiff and clumsy. The Ganados not only can climb ladders and chuck things off the roof at you with impecable aim but they also run, jump through windows... pretty much the opposite of being stiff and clumsy

It says whose behaviour or responses are wooden. Their behaviour may not be wooden, but their responses are. They're relatively agile, but they're still mindless drones - even if they do show basic intelligence beyond that of a traditional zombie. Most zombies don't even show animal-like intelligence. Who determines where the line of intelligence is drawn?

Besides, as I said above, zombies have had a face lift in recent years - modern zombies are faster and more intelligent, and since your most recent argument seems to accept that zombies don't necessarily have to be dead, I don't see the rationalisation.

You may want to be old school and say that modern zombies - the faster, more ferocious, more intelligent creatures - aren't zombies, but the definition of a word changes with popular usage.

I call them zombies. Their lack of undeath, their agility and their moderate intelligence means nothing to me - they're mindless slave drones which, to me, makes them zombies.

#37 Posted by pitchblack3 (346 posts) -

FEAR= nice gameplay, dark areas and creepy sounds

System Shock= never tried it but I heard that's its good even though already a relic.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

If you are in just for the scare, choose games in which you have only limited amount of weapons/ ammo bullets e.g.

Silent Hills

Penumbra Black Plague

Condemned

Nosferatu

#38 Posted by 190586385885857957282413308806 (13084 posts) -
[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="fatshodan"]

fatshodan

It says whose behaviour or responses are wooden. Their behaviour may not be wooden, but their responses are. They're relatively agile, but they're still mindless drones - even if they do show basic intelligence beyond that of a traditional zombie. Most zombies don't even show animal-like intelligence. Who determines where the line of intelligence is drawn?

Besides, as I said above, zombies have had a face lift in recent years - modern zombies are faster and more intelligent, and since your most recent argument seems to accept that zombies don't necessarily have to be dead, I don't see the rationalisation.

You may want to be old school and say that modern zombies - the faster, more ferocious, more intelligent creatures - aren't zombies, but the definition of a word changes with popular usage.

I call them zombies. Their lack of undeath, their agility and their moderate intelligence means nothing to me - they're mindless slave drones which, to me, makes them zombies.

Even today's zombies, like the agile ones found in the Day of the Dead remake, are truly mindless feral beings incapable of using even basic tools unlike the Ganados. The responses to gunshots are wooden because they simply don't feel pain and lack the instinct to survive, but responses deal with more than physical impulses.

The fact that they do climb ladders, run to close distance, put ladders back up when they're down, flank, use tools, throw tools when they are out of melee distance are all instances of responses to environment.

So it's not that I'm being old school, it's that they aren't like any zombie ever created. In my mind they are simply beings infected with a parasite going through a change.

#39 Posted by tpapazdo (38 posts) -

Playing BioShock In The Dark With Speakers Up Really High!!

LOTS OF FUN!!!

OH AND PUNUMBRA IS A AWESOME GAME TOO!!!

And i dont think many people know this game but WILL ROCK, scared the hell out of me cause enemies jumped out of nowhere unexpectely, gah, i hate those games.

Horror Games ROCK!! But The Best Is BioShock!:shock:

#40 Posted by sisyphus777 (3 posts) -

I love horror games, but they have to be played in the dark with a good sound system, pref. headphones for full effect. Played like this, although RE4 was definitely more action than horror, there were a few creepy moments in that game: The first "running" through the water in the Novistador section after Ashley's re-capture #1. Ditto the tension just before Verdugo. The Regenerators with their raspy death-rattles were pretty creepy and the "burning man" jump scare was not bad. The death and decay throughout the first section and the night storm scenes were atmospheric, but not really scary. There was not much set-up for real scares, unlike:

System Shock 2, which is is a great horror game. In fact, I enjoyed more than any other game I've played, including the 2 Half-Lifes and RE4. The soundtrack (esp. mutants and "nannies") raised literal goosebumps and the first few ghost sequences were very creepy. The rapid shiffles of the "assassins" were good for a scare, too. In fact I'd call it the scariest game ever. I'd love to see a decent re-make or spin-off of it.

Judging just on scariness, not overall game quality, my top-5 list would look like:

System Shock 2

REmake

Silent Hill 2

Alien vs Predator 2 (Play as Marine)

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Honourable Mentions:

Eternal Darkness

Sanitarium

Half-Life 2 (Zombie Town Chapter)

Undying

#41 Posted by DivergeUnify (15150 posts) -
STALKER is an overall creepy game with scary moments. Hell, at some points I'm actually GLAD to see a human enemy in the open after being in tunnels with mutants :(
#42 Posted by Kuyt19 (856 posts) -
Crysis. Why? Well, after spending a lot of dough upgrading my machine, i ended up with a graphics show-off fest that had no depth or realism to the plot. OH the horror!
#43 Posted by mulac2910 (826 posts) -
vampire masquerade Bloodlines. There's a spooky little haunted house in it.
#44 Posted by Zillaschool (1593 posts) -
Condemned is a very scary game.
#45 Posted by ZuluEcho14 (8225 posts) -
May I just say I hate zombies or any kind of possesed, rotting, putrefing and digusting representation of a human being or any other living creature for that matter. It is not natural. And those shrieks of pain and suffering that they yell... it is like... like... so utterly disturbing like there is still some leftover of human consciousness. Seriously, zombies and other type of supernatural and unusual creatures is what puts me off most games.
#46 Posted by Jrobo456 (5 posts) -
system shock 2 is great. it was responsible for me breaking my pc, not out of frustration but terror. i used to turn the pc off from the wall whenever a hybrid would start staggering towards me.