Best dungeon crawlers for pc

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kyle_360 (530 posts) -

I recently got a very good gaming computer and was wondering of some good dc games to play
list of games i'v already played:diablo1&2/torchlight/sacred/dungeon siege1&3 thats all i can remember

#2 Posted by RobertBowen (4094 posts) -

Titan Quest? That was a pretty decent hack'n'slasher.

Sacred 2 was a flawed gem.

And I guess keep your eyes peeled for Torchlight 2, and Grim Dawn from the same devs who made Titan Quest.

#3 Posted by Knuckle_Head40 (8 posts) -
Titan Quest + Immortal Throne expansion is the best dungeon crawler on the PC that's not Diablo (at least in my opinion). I've gotten almost 200 hours out of that game. Plus, you can usually find it really cheap online too (check steam/gamers gate/ect for the best price). Other than that here's some other ones: Divine Divinity - a bit older (Diablo 2 graphics pretty much) but very well made game. It's like Diablo but with a little more 'RPG' in it. Lots of quests, character interaction, moral choices...stuff like that. Din's Curse - Very cool indie dungeon crawler...graphics are kinda crappy but the game itself is very good. Everything is random and dynamic from the quests, to the dungeons and enemies. It's more like the old school rogue-likes so check it out if you enjoy that kind of game.
#4 Posted by JPS35 (70 posts) -

1. Baldur's Gate series
2. Planescape Torment
3. Titan Quest and Expansions
4. Nox
5. Dungeon Siege 2
6. Icewind Dale
7. Drakan
8. Gothic Series
9. Elder Scrolls Series
10. Dragon Age Series
11. The Witcher Series

#5 Posted by Brean24 (1659 posts) -
1.Bastion 2. DeathSpank 1 and 2 3.Torchlight 2 4.Diablo 3(when it comes out in later this year or later next year or...)
#6 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

You mean action rpgs, not dungeon crawlers. My reccomendation would be Titan Quest and the expansion.

#7 Posted by kyle_360 (530 posts) -
NAH CAUSE THAT WOULD INCLUDE GAMES LIKE OBLIVION
#8 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

NAH CAUSE THAT WOULD INCLUDE GAMES LIKE OBLIVION kyle_360
Eh Oblivion is more of a free roam game than anything else. Action rpg is a broad genre, but I think of diablo and such when you say it. I always thought dungeon crawlers were games where you're dumped into a dungeon with rpg elements in terms of combat, with turn based gameplay and you just fight stuff until you get out or die.

#9 Posted by CDudu (694 posts) -

Hellgate London is actually a good ARPG.

#12 Posted by fawfamily (3 posts) -

1. Baldur's Gate series
2. Planescape Torment
4. Nox
5. Dungeon Siege 2
6. Icewind Dale
7. Drakan
8. Gothic Series
9. Elder Scrolls Series
10. Dragon Age Series
11. The Witcher Series

JPS35

Nice to see someone who has been around long enough to understand that Baldurs Gate was the first GREAT D&D game done right for the PC. I too measure all other D&D games and dungeon crawlers by the amount of fun and hours of play I had with the Baldurs Gate Series.

#13 Posted by ShimmerMan (4441 posts) -

^Most of those aren't dungeons crawlers, serioulsy now cmon...

#14 Posted by bussinrounds (2122 posts) -

[QUOTE="JPS35"]

1. Baldur's Gate series
2. Planescape Torment
4. Nox
5. Dungeon Siege 2
6. Icewind Dale
7. Drakan
8. Gothic Series
9. Elder Scrolls Series
10. Dragon Age Series
11. The Witcher Series

fawfamily

Nice to see someone who has been around long enough to understand that Baldurs Gate was the first GREAT D&D game done right for the PC. I too measure all other D&D games and dungeon crawlers by the amount of fun and hours of play I had with the Baldurs Gate Series.

D&D was 'done right' 10 years before Baldurs Gate. AND it was even more true to d&d because it was TURN BASED.

#15 Posted by Renevent42 (5180 posts) -

Hah! I agree too, plus, PoR was the first PC RPG I had ever played :P To be honest there's been tons of great D&D based RPG's. Temple of Elemental Evil had the best interpretation of the D&D combat rule set for instance...at least in my humble opinion.

#16 Posted by bussinrounds (2122 posts) -

Hah! I agree too, plus, PoR was the first PC RPG I had ever played :P To be honest there's been tons of great D&D based RPG's. Temple of Elemental Evil had the best interpretation of the D&D combat rule set for instance...at least in my humble opinion.

Renevent42

Yea, ToEE has some great combat. I wish that combat engine was used for other modules/games.

They should of went fully turn based for the BG/IWD/PST D&D games.

#17 Posted by Renevent42 (5180 posts) -

Yeah not a fan of the quazi-real-time-pause RPG's myself...especially for party based RPG's. I'm hoping that with kickstarter making older concepts more viable that we'll get a high quality turn based RPG sometime soon. Hell, we even got a traditional dungeon crawl (Legend of Grimrock) so I think it's very possible.

I miss SSI lol...I think I played just about damn near every RPG they made. I even played the old Stronghold game from them (not the castle builder most associated with that name). I hope games from that generation of gaming make a comeback soon! There's so much depth and charm from that era of gaming that is just dying to be re-made for this generation.

#18 Posted by Sentinel112 (571 posts) -

[QUOTE="fawfamily"]

[QUOTE="JPS35"]

1. Baldur's Gate series
2. Planescape Torment
4. Nox
5. Dungeon Siege 2
6. Icewind Dale
7. Drakan
8. Gothic Series
9. Elder Scrolls Series
10. Dragon Age Series
11. The Witcher Series

bussinrounds

D&D was 'done right' 10 years before Baldurs Gate. AND it was even more true to d&d because it was TURN BASED.

I like to play chess and I am fairly good at it. But pc games don't need turn based combat since they are not limited to it. It does not make games less or more strategic at all. Some people like turn based because they lack proper reflexes. Of course D&D and any other board game is turn based because you play against real humans. In a pc game that is totally not the case. Turn based combat is also much easier to program hence the reason why it was more abundant decennia ago.
#19 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -
Diablo 3 is the only dungeon crawler worth playing. The rest are knock-offs and just garbage I wouldn't even waste a dollar on.
#20 Posted by Renevent42 (5180 posts) -

[QUOTE="bussinrounds"]

[QUOTE="fawfamily"]

Sentinel112

I like to play chess and I am fairly good at it. But pc games don't need turn based combat since they are not limited to it. It does not make games less or more strategic at all. Some people like turn based because they lack proper reflexes.

Of course D&D and any other board game is turn based because you play against real humans. In a pc game that is totally not the case. Turn based combat is also much easier to program hence the reason why it was more abundant decennia ago.

I think it is more tactical, as every move/decision/action is expressly dictated by the player. Whereas in more real time combat systems many of the actions of the character (auto-attacking, ect) are done by the AI. So the game and the pace and options of combat are based around this.

The available actions are also much more in depth and have more options. Compare the breadth of available actions in ToEE vs other games like BG or NWN and you can clearly see the difference. I don't think it's really feasible to include all these actions in more real time combat systems...at least in a way that's smooth and offers the same tactical feel.

#21 Posted by Supafly1 (4441 posts) -
Diablo 3 is the only dungeon crawler worth playing. The rest are knock-offs and just garbage I wouldn't even waste a dollar on.SKaREO
Torchlight 1 is great as well, it does some things even better than Diablo. Also, Torchlight 2 will have a mod tool so expect a lot of user content. TC, you can also check out Path of Exile, a lot of people say it's really great and feels like Diablo.
#22 Posted by bussinrounds (2122 posts) -

[QUOTE="bussinrounds"]

[QUOTE="fawfamily"]

Sentinel112

I like to play chess and I am fairly good at it. But pc games don't need turn based combat since they are not limited to it. It does not make games less or more strategic at all. Some people like turn based because they lack proper reflexes. Of course D&D and any other board game is turn based because you play against real humans. In a pc game that is totally not the case. Turn based combat is also much easier to program hence the reason why it was more abundant decennia ago.

Just because they are not limited to it (as they weren't back in the day as action games were around too) doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

Take Jagged Alliance 2. Say, you want to split up your squad into 2 groups, how would you fight 2 battles at the same time in different areas in RtwP, let alone even be able to watch it ?

In a TB game, nothing happens until you click "move". This allows you to relax more, since you know everyone is going to do what you said and then you get to assess the situation all over. In RTWP you have to constantly watch everything with your finger on the pause. Sometimes, not being ready to pause can mean death, so you cannot let your attention waver. You have alot less control because you have to rely on the AI more.

In TB you think about using all AP (or whatever) to their best potential, in RT you wing it more because you aren't into micromanaging EVERY split second.

#23 Posted by Sentinel112 (571 posts) -
I just want to add that you do not have to rely on the A.I. Hell I even put the A.I. off on all NPC's since I want to control them myself. That was the first thing I did in Dragon Age (the last RPG I played). Putting the A.I. off on all my companions! Yes, in battles, I tend to pause alot. But then you have control how fast battles go. In turn based it is the same speed always: a turn each. That is annoying in filler fights. And the combat does look archaic in turn based. Not that it bothers me that much. Since I quite liked ToEE and HoMM. But combat in rtwp is much more pleasant to the eye.
#24 Posted by Renevent42 (5180 posts) -

That's cool, for me though I find turn based makes the combat feel like I'm more more control of the tactics and action. Playing DA:O to me feels more like playing a RTS...I end up watching and periodically giving orders instead of feeling like I am actively in charge of my party's actions.

While you can turn off the AI, they still auto attack and unless you are pausing literally every second the AI is doing actions on your behalf. When you slow things down and make every action player based, you open up tactical options. Think about how many actions are available in ToEE that you never see in games like DA:O or even BG.

Anyways it's cool that there are games for the more action orientated RPG player, I just wish there was more turn based stuff for us older folks. At least we get the new XCOM soon so while that isn't a full RPG, it will at least scratch that itch :P

#25 Posted by FoustVIII (29 posts) -

DIABLO are the one and only!!! :D

#26 Posted by ex-mortis (1599 posts) -

Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 are available on GOG. Still haven't played them but I have heard they are excellent. The spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld, Arx Fatalis, is also great but deeply flawed. It has no dialogue options, no character creation, finnicky controls, hilariously bad voice acting and the list goes on but makes up for it with charm, excellent inventory system and unique gesture-based spellcasting.

#27 Posted by tanerb (930 posts) -

Not related but seeing SSI there reminded me one of my all time favorites, Panzer General. What a game it was !

#28 Posted by donalbane (16255 posts) -
My all time favorite was Eye of the Beholder... you had to make your own map on graph paper. So awesome. I think they just put it on Good Old Games.
#29 Posted by bussinrounds (2122 posts) -

That's cool, for me though I find turn based makes the combat feel like I'm more more control of the tactics and action. Playing DA:O to me feels more like playing a RTS...I end up watching and periodically giving orders instead of feeling like I am actively in charge of my party's actions.

While you can turn off the AI, they still auto attack and unless you are pausing literally every second the AI is doing actions on your behalf. When you slow things down and make every action player based, you open up tactical options. Think about how many actions are available in ToEE that you never see in games like DA:O or even BG.

Anyways it's cool that there are games for the more action orientated RPG player, I just wish there was more turn based stuff for us older folks. At least we get the new XCOM soon so while that isn't a full RPG, it will at least scratch that itch :P

Renevent42

Don't forget about Wasteland 2, Xenonauts, the new Shadowrun game and some other upcoming kickstarter projects !

Take the IE games, even if your pausing every 2 seconds and giving orders, you'll still have to rely on the crappy pathfinding of the AI. Plus if you are pausing that much anyway, the game might as well be turn based and it defeats the whole purpose of it being real time. I actually feel like I'm missing out on what's going on in RtwP combat. I give a bunch of commands, unpause and then it's so chaotic with everything going on at once, I can't tell what the hell is going on. In turn based I can enjoy each characters actions as they happen and also get the FEEDBACK as it happens. In BG say, I'm scrolling back into the battle log after the fact just to see wtf exactly just happened. Also in turn based games with a grid (visible or not) you can form a defensive lines to protect your casters in the back, say. RtwP is so much more hectic and uncontrollable, you often have to have enemies chase a character around while others perform ranged attacks... Not the greatest as far as tactical battles go.

Here's a good piece which sums up my fellings about TB VS RTWP in RPGS

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2011/06/turn-based-vs-real-time-combat.html

#30 Posted by ex-mortis (1599 posts) -

My all time favorite was Eye of the Beholder... you had to make your own map on graph paper. So awesome. I think they just put it on Good Old Games.donalbane

Not true, but I really wish they did. Currently it only has 2000 votes on GOG whereas System Shock 2 has over 100K which means it's probably not very high on their priority list but I'm sure they'll add it eventually.

#31 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
You guys do realize this was a thread made last year right?