Best AMD gaming CPU (with R9 280x)

#1 Posted by Chatch09 (418 posts) -

I've been going back and forth deciding what to go with for a 4k gaming/workstation thats going to take 3 or more months to buy all the parts for so in the meantime I decided to just build a mini ITX cube with a 280x because im still gaming on an xbox 360 and my laptop with an i3 2330 (HD 3000 graphics). I got the 280x for $150 used and I didnt want to spend more on the CPU than that, I've been seeing some 4 and 6 cores in that range and not sure which to go with. Not overclocking with this one by the way.

#2 Edited by insane_metalist (6348 posts) -

If you don't want to spend more then $150ish, go with 8 core CPU. FX-8320 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113285&cm_re=fx-8320-_-19-113-285-_-Product
If you have extra $20, get FX-8350 (since, you're not overclocking). - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284&cm_re=fx-8320-_-19-113-284-_-Product

#3 Posted by PredatorRules (8378 posts) -

@Chatch09 said:

I've been going back and forth deciding what to go with for a 4k gaming/workstation thats going to take 3 or more months to buy all the parts for so in the meantime I decided to just build a mini ITX cube with a 280x because im still gaming on an xbox 360 and my laptop with an i3 2330 (HD 3000 graphics). I got the 280x for $150 used and I didnt want to spend more on the CPU than that, I've been seeing some 4 and 6 cores in that range and not sure which to go with. Not overclocking with this one by the way.

You can go with 760K for 80$, you can grab FX6300 for 100$, FX6350 for 130$ and FX8320 for 140$

#4 Edited by Chatch09 (418 posts) -

Thanks guys, great recommendations but after seeing the results of the 8350 vs the 4690 in gaming, I think we're going to have to go with Intel for this rig too lol. I wanted to show AMD some love but thats going to have to be with the GPU. Anyway, any opinions on the Cooler Master Elite 130? Looking for a nice cube-style case and that one seems to be the best for the money, but I know there are a lot of other options.

#5 Edited by PredatorRules (8378 posts) -

@Chatch09 said:

Thanks guys, great recommendations but after seeing the results of the 8350 vs the 4690 in gaming, I think we're going to have to go with Intel for this rig too lol. I wanted to show AMD some love but thats going to have to be with the GPU. Anyway, any opinions on the Cooler Master Elite 130? Looking for a nice cube-style case and that one seems to be the best for the money, but I know there are a lot of other options.

So you're going to invest more money on CPU rather than the GPU, well that's a decision I personally wouldn't make.

The Elite 130 is looking nice but I'd go with either SilverStone Fortress or Corsair Obsidian 250D and if you want to really impress Corsair 380T

If you're tight on budget go with the Elite 130.

#6 Posted by Chatch09 (418 posts) -

Well the GPU normally would be way more its just that I got it used, 4690 with a 280x should be a great pair for 1080p gaming. I checked out those cases and they look great but im trying to keep price and size to a minimum so Elite 130 it is.

#7 Posted by thehig1 (2622 posts) -

The 8350 wont hold back any games for a while, so why spend more on the CPU when that money could be spent on the GPU were you will see the performance increase.

#8 Edited by ShadowDeathX (10695 posts) -

Mini ITX? The rules out AMD pretty much other than APUs. You are going to have to get an Intel CPU or an AMD APU.

Buy the 4690

#9 Posted by insane_metalist (6348 posts) -

@Chatch09: 4690 over 8350 is a good choice! 4690 is a much better CPU.

#10 Edited by intotheminx (718 posts) -

I know the 8320 works well with the 280. I'd imagine it could for the 280x as well, but I'd go a step up to be safe.

EDIT; Some how I missed the part about a itx build. If I were you I would go Intel for the CPU, otherwise you'll be getting a APU, which I'm finding out are decent CPU's, but I'd imagine you want something better.

#11 Edited by Coseniath (984 posts) -
@insane_metalist said:

@Chatch09: 4690 over 8350 is a good choice! 4690 is a much better CPU.

+1.

Believe it or not, AMD GPUs work suprisingly well with Intel CPUs.

#12 Posted by Chatch09 (418 posts) -

Yup, sorry AMD lol, I like supporting the underdogs but those results paint a picture that screams "just go intel for CPUs" hahaha, at least im getting AMD GPUs though.

#13 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (795 posts) -

Get a Core i5, AMD's Cpus are shit