Before WoW, there was EVERQUEST !!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FelipeInside (25175 posts) -

#3 Posted by Arthas045 (5095 posts) -

I never played this game, but man it created everything we have today MMO wise. Or atleast blew the genre up.

#4 Edited by PredatorRules (7258 posts) -

Nice vid

#5 Edited by Masculus (2825 posts) -

Before Everquest, there was Ultima Online. Too bad the formula was never copied by other devs.

#6 Posted by FelipeInside (25175 posts) -

I never played this game, but man it created everything we have today MMO wise. Or atleast blew the genre up.

I didn't either. No internet back then, and my PC was slow.

@Masculus said:

Before Everquest, there was Ultima Online. Too bad the formula was never copied by other devs.

That too, I heard great things about it. Only game "similar" would be Runescape (as in isometric wise)

#7 Posted by airshocker (28846 posts) -

And soon there will be EVERQUEST NEXT! You can rejoice, felipe.

#8 Posted by FelipeInside (25175 posts) -

And soon there will be EVERQUEST NEXT! You can rejoice, felipe.

Excited but cautious at the same time...

#9 Edited by pelvist (4581 posts) -

Been playing this game since 1999. I still play every now and then even though its not as great as it once was as the community is not like it used to be and hardly anybody seems to know how to level their own characters up any more as all you see are people afk power leveling or paying for power level.

Some of my fondest gaming memories have been from EQ and IMO it is still the most difficult and rewarding MMO out there especially at high level raiding. Some of the bosses on EQ make WoW raids seem like child play, though I havent played WoW since BC.

#10 Posted by Morphic (4334 posts) -

EQ is definitly one of my top 5 games. It was so amazing and wonderful. i miss it.

#11 Posted by Sleepyz (3776 posts) -

Still have fawn memories of EQ. Played that when was new 1999, i remember dying and losing days of exp just to have to run naked to get your corpse avoiding the stuff that killed you before and waiting 30+mins for a boat.

Back then dying was a major deal and had to be very careful, today its pansy stuff with hardly any penalty.

I did enjoy that game alot, still remember seeing sand giant just bash the crap out of people on the beach while they were afk hehehe.

My best memory of Eq is /TRAIN!!!!!!!

#12 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15887 posts) -

I thought EQ old-timers referred to the game as Evercrack.

#13 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@Masculus said:

Great video, oh I miss those awesome days! Damn you WoW for destroying this genre.

And yes Ultima Online was awesome too, my first MMO experience. Daoc and Asheron's Call we awesome as well. The good old days.

#15 Posted by KHAndAnime (13299 posts) -

Everquest was great during its peak. Unfortunately I started playing it shortly pre-Luclin and the game vastly changed with the Luclin expansion and the expansions following it. Lots of grinding! This was back when grinding was actually pretty fun, and not reduced to the easy generic quest amassment that made up nearly the entirety of WoW's gameplay as well as the MMO's to follow it. There were zones that were riskier to grind in than others, thus there was a risk/reward element that completely disappeared from the formula when WoW and clones hit the scene. Everquest was fun to play because it was punishing when you made mistakes. Of course casual players weren't attracted to constant challenges (which wasn't all that challenging compared to other MMO's at the time such as Ultima), which is why games like WoW were bound to happen following EQ's success. EQ definitely appealed more to the nerdier crowd because of a certain depth and challenge that is completely absent from other online RPGs. And of course, it was one hell of a time sink.

Still, there was a certain satisfaction to leading a mob train to people crowding my zone and then feigning death. Or shape-shifting into random game objects as a Druid and blocking their paths (or freaking them out). Lots of cool stuff, and fun spells that were a lot more interesting spells than the spells we see in MMO games nowadays. I don't even think I see MMO games anymore where there are a bunch of spells to just that are more in the 'fun' category rather than the 'useful' category.

#16 Edited by EduFarage (10 posts) -

I thought this was going to be some Everquest:Next propaganda, turns out its better than that.

Really cool video.

Didn't Tibia copied that? Their company is still running till today.

#17 Posted by -wildflower- (2853 posts) -

@Masculus said:

No kidding, right?

I think SWG was probably the last decent MMORPG to follow a UO'ish formula. Sadly, many gamers today seem to need their content wrapped up in nicely digestible little packages so I doubt we will ever see another truly sandbox MMORPG again. Maybe somebody will Kickstart one, but given how much money a MMORPG typically costs to develop and operate, I'm not sure how viable that option is.

#18 Edited by Jimmy_Russell (477 posts) -

I don't see anything in your post, it's just blank. I suppose there's a video there, but didn't you at least type something to discuss or is this just a link to a video? http://i.imgur.com/fZ5PotZ.jpg

#19 Edited by FelipeInside (25175 posts) -
#20 Edited by Jimmy_Russell (477 posts) -

@jimmy_russell said:

I don't see anything in your post, it's just blank. I suppose there's a video there, but didn't you at least type something to discuss or is this just a link to a video? http://i.imgur.com/fZ5PotZ.jpg

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/pqemb4/everquest-nostalgia-trailer

There's the link, but you must have some kind of ad block on or something cause the video works for me.

Thank you. To answer your question, yes, I run AdBlock Plus, NoScript, Disconnect, DontTrackMe, and HTTPS Everywhere.

#21 Posted by FelipeInside (25175 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@jimmy_russell said:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/pqemb4/everquest-nostalgia-trailer

There's the link, but you must have some kind of ad block on or something cause the video works for me.

Thank you. To answer your question, yes, I run AdBlock Plus, NoScript, Disconnect, DontTrackMe, and HTTPS Everywhere.

Yeah, it's probably one of those causing you not to see the video.

#22 Edited by Gladestone1 (5507 posts) -

Everquest i sadly miss thee..If any one played on veeshan from primus exodus pm me..Great times best mmorpg ever..Only game to have me hooked for 10 years..Sadly i miss them days..What made eq great..100 man raids, the challenge of getting to a raid, competing with other guilds..If you got to that raid faster you won that fight an raid..It was challenging was a adventure, once in a life time game that had every thing..Man i once grouped with some peeps from japan, no english..We had a blast, that was one vacation i did from 7 am to 1 pm after the raid...Ill never find a game like that ever again..

Although i am hopeful star citizen will be like this in some way shape an form..

#23 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12807 posts) -

@Masculus said:

You mean this: "Why hello there...and why am I now paralyzed and on fire?"

#24 Posted by Falconoffury (1717 posts) -

Back in those days, I was a huge fan of Asheron's Call.