Baulders Gate VS Icewind Dale

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Baulders Gate VS Icewind Dale (28 votes)

Baulders Gate 68%
Icewind Dale 32%

Which series is better?

• 
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58904 Posts

Baldurs Gate is more about the story while Icewind Dale is primarily about getting down to the action.

While very, very similar, I think it's more of a preference thing.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Baldurs Gate imo... BG 2 is one of the best RPGs ever made

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Baldur's Gate is probably still my favourite RPG of all time, but Icewind Dale is very good too.

BG is a bit more hardcore.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I would have to jump on Baldur's Gate.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I'm going to go with Icewind Dale.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Hardcore ? First time I ever heard that word comparing BG to IWD.

Out of the 4 games, I'll take IWD1 & BG2 and leave BG1 and IWD2.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

@bussinrounds said:

@FelipeInside said:

I wouldn't call BG casual if that's what you mean.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bussinrounds

@FelipeInside said:

@bussinrounds said:

@FelipeInside said:

Nah, I just mean the games are similar enough that I wouldn't call one any more hardcore than the others.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23905 Posts

Icewind Dale>Baldur's Gate

Baldur's Gate 2>Icewind Dale 2

That said, I do feel like I prefer IWD1 over BG2 somewhat. Less story getting in your way and the game knowing exactly what it wants to be.

Edit: Like @bussinrounds said, I would just play IWD and BG2 and forget about the other 2.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside

@bussinrounds said:

@FelipeInside said:

@bussinrounds said:

@FelipeInside said:

Nah, I just mean the games are similar enough that I wouldn't call one any more hardcore than the others.

I said BG was more hardcore because if I remember correctly, I think it was a lot longer and harder than IWD.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Maroxad

@FelipeInside: Honestly, neither of them are particulary difficult. Especially given how redicilously easy it is to exploit both thanks to RTwP combat as well as it being D&D, which is not known for its balance. That said, the fact that you create your entire party (which is something I greatly miss in modern wRPGs) makes it a lot easier for a newcomer to the genre to mess up in IWD, I also remember IWD1 throwing far more complex encounters than the wolves and kobolds you will be facing for most of BG1.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Baldur's gate (2 especially) had better, more personal stories and NPC interaction, while I feel the Icewind Dale series in general had better combat. Druids and Bards in particular are much better in the IWDs'. They're also more challenging, but their mage spell selection isn't as good as BG2.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

@Maroxad said:

@FelipeInside: Honestly, neither of them are particulary difficult. Especially given how redicilously easy it is to exploit both thanks to RTwP combat as well as it being D&D, which is not known for its balance. That said, the fact that you create your entire party (which is something I greatly miss in modern wRPGs) makes it a lot easier for a newcomer to the genre to mess up in IWD, I also remember IWD1 throwing far more complex encounters than the wolves and kobolds you will be facing for most of BG1.

I don't know about exploits but I remember having really difficult combats in both BG1 and BG2, especially against those darn dragons.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bussinrounds

Yea, I like creating a whole party myself, so that was def a big positive for me in IWD compared to BG.

You lose the personalities, but honestly BG was def no Planescape when it came to 'story elements'/writing, as it was decent at times but also pretty cringe worthy a little too often.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58904 Posts

I really wish Obsidian got to do KOTOR 3. I'm probably in the minority here but with KOTOR 2 complete edition I thought it was their best game story wise. And the plans they had for KOTOR 3 but didn't get pushed through where very exciting.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Maroxad

It is good that you can at least create a full party yourself if you want to in BG, just create a mulitplayer save, then move over that save to the SP folder :). I created 4 characters myself and let 2 BioWarian characters fill the other 2.

@FelipeInside said:

@Maroxad said:

I don't know about exploits but I remember having really difficult combats in both BG1 and BG2, especially against those darn dragons.

My quarterstaff using Kensai that wore a cloak that made him invincible to all offensive and instant death magic could solo those. He wasnt even dual classed.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17  Edited By Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

I enjoyed IWD series more...I could create my own party and their was a lot of combat and less yappity-yap. The atmosphere in BG2 was pretty cool though but IWD was more fun I thought.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FelipeInside

@uninspiredcup said:

I really wish Obsidian got to do KOTOR 3. I'm probably in the minority here but with KOTOR 2 complete edition I thought it was their best game story wise. And the plans they had for KOTOR 3 but didn't get pushed through where very exciting.

SWTOR has a lot of KOTOR3 "moments" in it.

But a KOTOR3 with awesome realistic graphics would be welcomed. They could even do it as a side story to tie into the MMO.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

@FelipeInside: Or just release a cinematic to make it appear like SWTOR was all a dream and never happened, then give us a real RPG. I'm bored of all these naff mmo's.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Maroxad

@FelipeInside said:

@uninspiredcup said:

But a KOTOR3 with awesome realistic graphics would be welcomed. They could even do it as a side story to tie into the MMO.

SWTOR felt like WoW with a Star Wars skin slapped over it with the developers hoping that no one would notice. Adding lipservice and terribly treat the lore of the other 2 games in hopes of building some link only to end up annoying a lot of fans, especially Kotor 2 fans.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FelipeInside

@Maroxad said:

@FelipeInside said:

@uninspiredcup said:

SWTOR felt like WoW with a Star Wars skin slapped over it with the developers hoping that no one would notice. Adding lipservice and terribly treat the lore of the other 2 games in hopes of building some link only to end up annoying a lot of fans, especially Kotor 2 fans.

It annoyed fans cause it was an MMO, but the game is great now with all the stuff they added. There are also good story arcs going if you put the time and effort into it. Soon housing, can't wait to have my little Tatooine Hut....

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

wow, that's a tough one. Both are great games, but I'd have to give the slightest of edges to Icewind Dale. Either way though, you couldn't go wrong.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Maroxad

@FelipeInside said:

@Maroxad said:

@FelipeInside said:

@uninspiredcup said:

It annoyed fans cause it was an MMO, but the game is great now with all the stuff they added. There are also good story arcs going if you put the time and effort into it. Soon housing, can't wait to have my little Tatooine Hut....

It also annoyed fans because of how it mistreated the lore, namely Revan and the Exile. Do I need to remind you of the controversy stirred up by the Revan novel and what happened to the exile in it?

The fact that all force user stories are drivel even for BioWare "standards" makes it even worse. Pretty much the only decent writing in the entirety of SWTOR comes from the Imperial Agent and that story would probably have been better if it was not set in the Star Wars universe.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside

@Maroxad said:

@FelipeInside said:

It also annoyed fans because of how it mistreated the lore, namely Revan and the Exile. Do I need to remind you of the controversy stirred up by the Revan novel and what happened to the exile in it?

The fact that all force user stories are drivel even for BioWare "standards" makes it even worse. Pretty much the only decent writing in the entirety of SWTOR comes from the Imperial Agent and that story would probably have been better if it was not set in the Star Wars universe.

I agree the Revan story arc was a missed opportunity. I really thought they should have released SWTOR without touching the Revan story, and then bring out an expansion revolving around him (like WoW did with lich king).

But, we are off-topic so no more.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

Am I the only one who misses games like this? there was also Planescape: Torment, but that game did not have a big impact on me.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#26 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

I picked Baldur's Gate, but I think I would prefer Planescape:Torment.

Despite the fact that I haven't even finished it yet !