Battlefield 3 stuttering

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Chris_53 (5102 posts) -

Anyone else getting stuttering that occurs after a while of playing ? i heard this is a common issue with the 285.63 drivers, however I am still using the 285.36 beta drivers so im a bit comfused.

I run at a mix of high and ultra at 1080p. I dont have an antialiasing since I found it hits the fps quite a lot. Apart from the stuttering, the game is running great, about 45-60.

#2 Posted by GTR12 (8937 posts) -

I'd help you but I'm not having any problems with BF3, have you tried lowering settings to see if its a issue?

#3 Posted by Chris_53 (5102 posts) -

I'd help you but I'm not having any problems with BF3, have you tried lowering settings to see if its a issue?

GTR12
Which drivers are you using out of interest ?
#4 Posted by GTR12 (8937 posts) -

285.62, apparently the buggy ones.

#5 Posted by Chris_53 (5102 posts) -

GTR12
Oh right, il try them. After I installed the game, I didnt reboot or defrag since I was just eager to play the game. Maybe it was just that. Also it was only certain matches which were stuttering aswell, others were fine without a problem.
#6 Posted by GTR12 (8937 posts) -

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

Chris_53

Oh right, il try them. After I installed the game, I didnt reboot or defrag since I was just eager to play the game. Maybe it was just that. Also it was only certain matches which were stuttering aswell, others were fine without a problem.

Hate to say it and I'm probably wrong but could the stuttering be caused by frame rate dips? If its the more detailed maps (Caspian Border and such) try reduce detail to all medium (which will handle fine with your card) and play a game.

#7 Posted by Chris_53 (5102 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chris_53"][QUOTE="GTR12"]

GTR12

Hate to say it and I'm probably wrong but could the stuttering be caused by frame rate dips? If its the more detailed maps (Caspian Border and such) try reduce detail to all medium (which will handle fine with your card) and play a game.

No the frame-rate is pretty good, I havnt measured exactly but it feels like its in the 40-60. caspian boarder is sligtly slower but the FPS seems to be pretty consistent. The stuttering just feels like brief pauses.
#8 Posted by Joel_Pichardo (320 posts) -

I have that to with my rig :( Sometimes it just stutters and if I have the performance overlay thing on (via console commands) I see that there are big spikes in both the CPU and GPU miliseconds. Immediately after the spike it returns to normal.

#9 Posted by 04dcarraher (19013 posts) -
Well , BF3 has a known memory leak, the only fixes as of right now is shutdown all non needed apps using memory and dont play for long periods of time. And lastly is to grab another 4gb of memory,
#10 Posted by Chris_53 (5102 posts) -
Well , BF3 has a known memory leak, the only fixes as of right now is shutdown all non needed apps using memory and dont play for long periods of time. And lastly is to grab another 4gb of memory, 04dcarraher
I have been debating about whether to get an extra 4GB. Oh another thing, the game has been crashing aswell, usually when its loaded the map. Is this common aswell. im using the 285.35 beta drivers but I hear the latest drivers are also buggy.
#12 Posted by GarGx1 (2382 posts) -

I had stuttering with BF3 after installing it, rebooting did seem to fix it though. Very similar to a problem I had with AC: Brotherhood. Every couple of seconds there would be a sticking pause for about 1/2 a second and the sound would give a bzzz.

BF3 has crashed on loading a few times and also crashed at the end of a map a couple of times.

I'm using the 285.35 drivers.

#14 Posted by jonathant5 (873 posts) -
Well , BF3 has a known memory leak, the only fixes as of right now is shutdown all non needed apps using memory and dont play for long periods of time. And lastly is to grab another 4gb of memory, 04dcarraher
Oh really? That explains a lot. My game sometimes starts slowing down and stuttering after a long (long being like an hour) time of playing and it made no sense initially. As for the TC, try lowering settings or see if you can set VSYNC to a different level.
#15 Posted by Chris_53 (5102 posts) -
Do you guys think I should bump up to 8GB of RAM ?
#16 Posted by 04dcarraher (19013 posts) -
Do you guys think I should bump up to 8GB of RAM ?Chris_53
If you want too, it will fix one issue but not all with the game. I would just wait it out for a patch
#17 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -
[QUOTE="Chris_53"]Do you guys think I should bump up to 8GB of RAM ?04dcarraher
If you want too, it will fix one issue but not all with the game. I would just wait it out for a patch

This. Wait for a patch first. If it's an issue with memory leak, which it is, then getting 8GB isn't going to solve the problem. It'll only be a temporary fix that will cost you $50. If you're looking for an excuse to upgrade, then by all means get 'em. :P
#18 Posted by DJP3000 (293 posts) -

I had stuttering as well. I also had a few seconds of stuttering when restarting a few checkpoints. The other stuttering I had was like half-second pauses, didn't happen often though. I have 16 GB RAM and a GTX 580. Do the console versons get stuttering as well?

#19 Posted by sailor232 (4277 posts) -

I have 12gig ram, crossfire setup and good cpu (1055t overclocked) and had stuttering issues. Uninstalling then reinstalling drivers fixed the problem for me.

#20 Posted by Chris_53 (5102 posts) -
Hi all, so ive been playing over the last few days and ive noticed the stuttering/pauses seems to have reduced to the point where ive actually not noticed it. Im not sure whether its because ive just not played it as much the last few days, or whether its been fixed by Dice/EA. I still occationally experience online lag sometimes but the stuttering seems to have resolved itself, at least that I can tell anyway. Is this the case for anyone else ?
#21 Posted by GTR12 (8937 posts) -

I had stuttering as well. I also had a few seconds of stuttering when restarting a few checkpoints. The other stuttering I had was like half-second pauses, didn't happen often though. I have 16 GB RAM and a GTX 580. Do the console versons get stuttering as well?

DJP3000

No consoles dont have stuttering.

#22 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="DJP3000"]

GTR12

Sarcasm detected

#23 Posted by GTR12 (8937 posts) -

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

[QUOTE="DJP3000"]

hartsickdiscipl

Sarcasm detected

Damnit lol, you caught me, well they are graphically limited, and have a fewer effects, so its LESS noticable than on PC for the time being.

#25 Posted by lucfonzy (1834 posts) -
I'm getting pretty good FPS in the campaign, until it stutters to a point where it's unplayable. I'm getting between 15-60 fps in mp... it's horrible, it dips and rises horribly, I've even reduced the settings to the lowest and it's still happening. My rig isn't great, GTX460, core 2 duo 2.66ghz, 3gb ram... But I would have thought I could at least get some stable frame rate even at low...