Battlefield 3 sniping help?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JoshAraujo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 JoshAraujo
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Does anyone know -

How tall characters in the game are

And exactly how fast you can run and sprint?

Why?

Makes sniping easier

On an 8x rifle scope, each dot on the reticle is 5 mils or 17.5 MOA, which at 100 yards is 18 inches approximately

Off the M98 bullets travel at 650m/s, so at 100 yards that's 1/6 second flight time

If you can run at 6m/s that's 1m covered in 1/6 second

In other words I would have to lead you by roughly two dots on the 8x scope to hit you from 100 meters away,

And as for height of character models -
If through the scope, you see the head of a person at one mil dot, and his feet line up with the dot directly below that one (which makes 5 mils), then assuming his height is 2 yards/6 feet
You can find the range to the target by - (h/mil)*1000 or (2/5)*1000 = which is 400 yards

Hence the questions

- Araeathain

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@josharaujo said:

Does anyone know -

How tall characters in the game are

And exactly how fast you can run and sprint?

Why?

Makes sniping easier

On an 8x rifle scope, each dot on the reticle is 5 mils or 17.5 MOA, which at 100 yards is 18 inches approximately

Off the M98 bullets travel at 650m/s, so at 100 yards that's 1/6 second flight time

If you can run at 6m/s that's 1m covered in 1/6 second

In other words I would have to lead you by roughly two dots on the 8x scope to hit you from 100 meters away,

And as for height of character models -

If through the scope, you see the head of a person at one mil dot, and his feet line up with the dot directly below that one (which makes 5 mils), then assuming his height is 2 yards/6 feet

You can find the range to the target by - (h/mil)*1000 or (2/5)*1000 = which is 400 yards

Hence the questions

- Araeathain

Wat? I don't even measure that stuff in Arma 3 (and that's is the best simulation) and I sure don't need all this stuff to know either.

You can make science out of anything, experience is far better.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Its a fucking game for pete sake, not real life, learn the difference.

alcatraz5953

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 alcatraz5953
Member since 2014 • 80 Posts

@GTR12: If that's how he wants to play it then let him! Nobody tells you how to play whatever it is that you play. We all have our own techniques/ways that we play.

OP I cant give you any info regarding what you're asking, I tend to just wing it and shoot people, but rate it's a pretty interesting question. Would like to actually see a good answer to it.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@alcatraz5953 said:

@GTR12: If that's how he wants to play it then let him! Nobody tells you how to play whatever it is that you play. We all have our own techniques/ways that we play.

OP I cant give you any info regarding what you're asking, I tend to just wing it and shoot people, but rate it's a pretty interesting question. Would like to actually see a good answer to it.

He's not playing...

He wants to know if BF is a real simulator by asking pointless questions, "how tall are the humans?" "how fast do they run?" if you want a close simulation type game, go play ARMA.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

I only play Battlefield 4 and the mechanics have changed from 3, so I'm not sure how the leading worked back then. I can tell you though that in both games the player height is 1.7 Meters.

You might wanna ask this in the Symthic forums, over there they know how every tiny thing works in the game. :)

@GTR12 said:

@alcatraz5953 said:

He's not playing...

He wants to know if BF is a real simulator by asking pointless questions, "how tall are the humans?" "how fast do they run?" if you want a close simulation type game, go play ARMA.

Yes he is! Although it's not a simulation and not everything behaves realistically, the stuff he's talking about actually helps in the game. It's the difference making a bunch of test shots and potentially losing your target, or getting it on the first go. It maybe too much for the average player in the game, but if you spend most of your time as Recon then it's totally worth it.

JoshAraujo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JoshAraujo

@harry_james_pot: Thank you!

Arma is a game too, simulator or no simulator, all game use algorithms or calculations or whatever you want to call it to determine bullet trajectory, and Battlefield is reasonably realistic

9 / 10 shots you dont need trig or trajectory calculations, but for that 10th shot, you just might

@ all you haters - I dont harp on any of your play styles, I like a good realistic game, and that's how I play it. Not running around like a lunatic out in the open, trying to rack up as many kills as I can. All I did was ask a question, I dont feel you have any right to call it or me stupid/irrelevant. If you dont know or dont care, just dont answer, dont rage on me

Cheers

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

... and lets throw in the mediocre netcode. Bullet drop is exaggerated as far as I can remember.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@josharaujo said:

@harry_james_pot: Thank you!

Arma is a game too, simulator or no simulator, all game use algorithms or calculations or whatever you want to call it to determine bullet trajectory, and Battlefield is reasonably realistic

9 / 10 shots you dont need trig or trajectory calculations, but for that 10th shot, you just might

@ all you haters - I dont harp on any of your play styles, I like a good realistic game, and that's how I play it. Not running around like a lunatic out in the open, trying to rack up as many kills as I can. All I did was ask a question, I dont feel you have any right to call it or me stupid/irrelevant. If you dont know or dont care, just dont answer, dont rage on me

Cheers

No one is rages on you bro, we're just humble simple gamers, not elite snipers =)

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@josharaujo i don't understand the question. if you know how to calculate it, why are you asking us? unless i missed something here.

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 harry_james_pot  Moderator

@Kh1ndjal said:

@josharaujo i don't understand the question. if you know how to calculate it, why are you asking us? unless i missed something here.

He knows how, but he was missing the player height which you need that to estimate the distance to the target.

@Bikouchu35 said:

... and lets throw in the mediocre netcode. Bullet drop is exaggerated as far as I can remember.

It's not realistic, but it's not random either. The math works.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:

@Kh1ndjal said:

He knows how, but he was missing the player height which you need that to estimate the distance to the target.

which is still gonna be useless because A) poor hitbox detection B) lag C) different guns have different velocities and stats.

You're better off just eyeballing it and using muscle memory, not even Arma is that complicated

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
@wis3boi said:

@harry_james_pot said:

@Kh1ndjal said:

which is still gonna be useless because A) poor hitbox detection B) lag C) different guns have different velocities and stats.

You're better off just eyeballing it and using muscle memory, not even Arma is that complicated

It may seem like he's putting too much thought into it, but I doubt he's actually trying to calculate this stuff while playing, he was probably just trying to explain the idea and made it sound more complicated than it actually is. The hitboxes may not be great, but I never had any problem with them while sniping.. As for point C, the trick is to stick with only one or two rifles.

It only takes a second to guess a players distance from their height compared to the mildots, and that tells you exactly how much to compensate.. Same thing for how much mildots to lead with. You can eyeball it, but this is more efficient and IMO, more fun. :D

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:

@Bikouchu35 said:

Again if the netcode and lag isn't in the gutter. Skill first, worry about the numbers later.

p90 is statically inferior to many weapons on symth. and I still whoop butt in it. No use crunching all those numbers if you can't use them to your advantage.

Besides bf4 is better for snipers anyway they made the maps with lots of spots and nests for you op.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Bikouchu35 said:

@harry_james_pot said:

@Bikouchu35 said:

Again if the netcode and lag isn't in the gutter. Skill first, worry about the numbers later.

p90 is statically inferior to many weapons on symth. and I still whoop butt in it. No use crunching all those numbers if you can't use them to your advantage.

Besides bf4 is better for snipers anyway they made the maps with lots of spots and nests for you op.

yeah sniping is loads better in bf4 than 3....3 felt like I was lobbing spit balls at people

JoshAraujo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JoshAraujo

@Bikouchu35: Take the M98B, in the game it shoots with a muzzle velocity of 650m/s. In reality, in fact, it shoots at 950m/s

So yeah, the bullet drop IS exaggerated, but its constant at the same time

I'm NOT ACTUALLY going to do those calculations while shooting, I just want a better idea, so its easier to eyeball my shots and make more acuurate hits