Battlefield 3 Patch out now

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

Looking over the changelog, I was excited for this day to come. How do you guys feel about the changes?

Unfortunately, I'm really disappointed. I can't even tell what the changes are because the hit detection was awful for me and I actually couldn't stand the game for more than 5 minutes at a time because of it. This is coming from an everyday player (and avid battlefield fan), so inb4trollaccusations. On a brighter note, I do anticipate Armored Kill and will probably just stick to vehicles from now on until hit detection is actually bearable.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The hit detection is actually fine once you get your network smoothing settings correct and play on servers within your area. While it can be a little laggy, it completely ruining the game for people doesn't make sense to me at all.

The changes were pure balancing changes, since I don't really get into BF3 that competitivly I don't really care.

At this point, if you're letting the hit detection ruin your experiance (which it's still better than in BC2 and BF2), then you're doing something wrong on your end. It's really that simple.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

I can't wait to get my hands on Premium. Armored Kill maps and vehicles look awesome.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#4 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Ah, this will fix those silly looking slow moving jets. Oh, wait...

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Wasdie  Moderator

Ah, this will fix those silly looking slow moving jets. Oh, wait...

Starshine_M2A2

Yeah so they can streak across the level in 2 seconds and completely dominate everything on the battlefield without any counters?

The jets didn't make sense in BF2 and they sure as hell don't in BF3. The maps need to be 500+ KMs large for them to make any sense. Otherwise they are going to be extremely gamey no matter what.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

The hit detection is actually fine once you get your network smoothing settings correct and play on servers within your area. While it can be a little laggy, it completely ruining the game for people doesn't make sense to me at all.

The changes were pure balancing changes, since I don't really get into BF3 that competitivly I don't really care.

At this point, if you're letting the hit detection ruin your experiance (which it's still better than in BC2 and BF2), then you're doing something wrong on your end. It's really that simple.

Wasdie

What are the ideal network smoothing settings? I still get shot behind walls

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

lostrib

What are the ideal network smoothing settings? I still get shot behind walls

They are different for every person. You gotta keep tweaking them.

You'll always get killed a little behind a wall. No match is going to be 100% flawless, way too many factors. The game has too much going on to have Quake and CS like latency.

If you're letting that get in your way, then you'll be disappointed.

CS, Quake, Unreal, all have about 1/100th of the calculations going on. CS uses 100% hitscan weapons and all of the rapid fire weapons in Quake/Unreal are hitscan as well, unlike having each round tracked in real time like in BF3. There is also no destruction and very little calculations to do with vehicles in those arena shooters. The animations are also extremely simple compared to BF3.

It's just never going to be perfect.

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

I haven't been able to tell for sure yet, is the UMP-45 a 3 shot kill or not? The M5K is like a whole new weapon though (It's a CQB BEAST now!)

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I haven't been able to tell for sure yet, is the UMP-45 a 3 shot kill or not? The M5K is like a whole new weapon though (It's a CQB BEAST now!)

DoomZaW

I think it is at close range. They buffed the close range damage but I think it drops off faster

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I wish they would make a patch to make the shooting more like Bad Company 2. I think I would actually play the game a lot more if that happended.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
People are still playing BF3? Wow, that's.... dedication.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Wasdie

Heck no, go play 64 player CQ. I dare ya.

The game just recently had an overhaul for "balancing" weapons like m16 are nerfed and so on. Though the glitches are still apparent, kind of sad that is not higher up in their priority.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SKaREO
Armored Kill is out now! I guess I'll go over to the PS3 board and ask them how they like it, since PC players can't even play the 2GB patch they just downloaded.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#15 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
stinger buff is good, hopefully it helps keep the choppers at further range during general gameplay than hovering around the flags at low altitude. aa buff vs infantry is uneeded but shouldn't pose a threat too often. Jets are now more powerful vs ground units
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Did they finally fix the stringers against air not working properly? I kinda quit a while ago.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wasdie  Moderator

Did they finally fix the stringers against air not working properly? I kinda quit a while ago.bonafidetk

Yes. Lots of rage from the pilots. Glorious rage.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SKaREO

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]Did they finally fix the stringers against air not working properly? I kinda quit a while ago.Wasdie

I don't think they're mad because you're better than them. Not exactly glorious to point a lock-on weapon at a skilled pilot and click the "I WIN" button. Sounds like you enjoy reading people's complaints. Explains why you wanted to be a mod too, because you like the feeling of superiority where it isn't earned, and you like to deal with other's complaints in a callous way. Sounds like schadenfreude to me.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
People are still playing BF3? Wow, that's.... dedication.SKaREO
You're still trying to troll, despite being terrible at it? Wow, that's dedication.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]Did they finally fix the stringers against air not working properly? I kinda quit a while ago.SKaREO

I don't think they're mad because you're better than them. Not exactly glorious to point a lock-on weapon at a skilled pilot and click the "I WIN" button. Sounds like you enjoy reading people's complaints. Explains why you wanted to be a mod too, because you like the feeling of superiority where it isn't earned, and you like to deal with other's complaints in a callous way. Sounds like schadenfreude to me.

That was a very dickish comment to write.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
At this point, if you're letting the hit detection ruin your experiance (which it's still better than in BC2 and BF2), then you're doing something wrong on your end. It's really that simple.Wasdie
you know what? you're right. i've always been extremely bothered by faults in hit detection in ANY game, regardless of whether or not i'm playing competitively. as of late, i actually have gotten so caught up in the quality all of my games' network coding that it's pretty much the most important thing to me when i go to judge a multiplayer fps. i definitely need to change the way i look at games.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#22 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
lol! I have to read the comments. It'd be so funny to see the pilots of the world at our mercy for once! The days of them having unlimited flares and flying low to avoid our stingers are over!! :D
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nutcrackr

I don't think they're mad because you're better than them. Not exactly glorious to point a lock-on weapon at a skilled pilot and click the "I WIN" button. Sounds like you enjoy reading people's complaints. Explains why you wanted to be a mod too, because you like the feeling of superiority where it isn't earned, and you like to deal with other's complaints in a callous way. Sounds like schadenfreude to me.SKaREO
Ladies and gentlemen allow me to introduce SKaREO: 2012's answer to Sigmund Freud.

Contact me directly if you wish to schedule an appointment with this years finest psychoanalysis. Free lollipops with every visit!

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]Did they finally fix the stringers against air not working properly? I kinda quit a while ago.SKaREO

So... let me get this straight, you're better than me because you're pull crap out of your ass then attacking me for it?

Is that the general idea you're trying to convey here?

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Great the patch broke the game. I can't even play anymore, and on a side note the low level nubs are frying me with their MGs lammmeee. Getting 2:1 kd games is pure suckage :\

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Wasdie
9 times out of 10, people who moan about the hit detection either have a bad connection or just suck.
Tixylixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Tixylixx
Member since 2011 • 312 Posts

The hit detection in BF3 and BF games has always been badddddddddddd.

Games based on Carmack's engines usually have amazing hit detection, like CS 1.6 and Quake 3. Where say Source games have always been bad like TF2 and CS:GO.

Just hate BF3 where if someone is running then aim behind them because that's where their hit box will be.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bonafidetk

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]Did they finally fix the stringers against air not working properly? I kinda quit a while ago.Wasdie

Its about time. This unfortunately shows what problems cross platform creates for the game has though. How many months did it take DICE to fix this game breaking bug. I couldn't even play on scout helicopter maps because they made it made me rage so.
SloveenEfsei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SloveenEfsei
Member since 2012 • 42 Posts
yeah that's what you call loyalty.... lol
lakshmikali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lakshmikali
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Can't wait to get a hand on this,,, cool thanks for the update
SkiTzo05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SkiTzo05
Member since 2002 • 591 Posts

Anyone have any tips on adjusting the network smoothing factor? My ping is always around 24ms but the ragdolls are like watching a slideshow, everything else is smooth. I have fiddled with it and it's better but still not great.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

So... let me get this straight, you're better than me because you're pull crap out of your ass then attacking me for it?

Wasdie, really, why haven't you guys banned this tool yet?
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"] I don't think they're mad because you're better than them. Not exactly glorious to point a lock-on weapon at a skilled pilot and click the "I WIN" button. Sounds like you enjoy reading people's complaints. Explains why you wanted to be a mod too, because you like the feeling of superiority where it isn't earned, and you like to deal with other's complaints in a callous way. Sounds like schadenfreude to me.trastamad03

Wasdie, really, why haven't you guys banned this tool yet?

Well, voicing your viewpoints, and disagreeing should never be a reason for a ban. Altho that sentence up there is pretty much bordering on a warning atleast, going out against specific people bcause you do not agree with them while not making any constructive reflections is a pretty low thing to do. But hey doing it against a mod? maybe he himself is asking for a ban? :S

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Is there a problem with the new patch? Did it make hit detection worse or is it just how it was before?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Wasdie  Moderator

Is there a problem with the new patch? Did it make hit detection worse or is it just how it was before?Gamesterpheonix

Not really. I actually felt that everything was a bit smoother. The UI looked crisper, the game had a better response time, the animations were much better in sync.

The "issue" with the patch is the helis and how they got a pretty big nerf. I actually shot one down with a stinger yesterday. It was quite amazing.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SKaREO

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

I'm no pillar of community. I've got my flaws, some of them glaring. I was being harsh to react the way I did to your comment. I don't think I'm better than you. I was a bit perturbed by your callous disregard for people's objective dislike of the way Battlefield 3 developers have taken the franchise. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong. I'm not the authority of gaming, as much as my ego wishes I was. I can take my blows too, there's plenty of bad things you could say about me. I've been banned from almost every community I've joined. Sort of an outcast or whatever the case may be. I speak my mind for better or worse. Some people can handle my brutal honesty and/or arrogance, others can't.
Microsteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Microsteve
Member since 2010 • 1244 Posts
People are still playing BF3? Wow, that's.... dedication.SKaREO
As opposed to what exactly? Please indulge us with your amazing knowledge
Microsteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 Microsteve
Member since 2010 • 1244 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"] I don't think they're mad because you're better than them. Not exactly glorious to point a lock-on weapon at a skilled pilot and click the "I WIN" button. Sounds like you enjoy reading people's complaints. Explains why you wanted to be a mod too, because you like the feeling of superiority where it isn't earned, and you like to deal with other's complaints in a callous way. Sounds like schadenfreude to me.SKaREO

I'm no pillar of community. I've got my flaws, some of them glaring. I was being harsh to react the way I did to your comment. I don't think I'm better than you. I was a bit perturbed by your callous disregard for people's objective dislike of the way Battlefield 3 developers have taken the franchise. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong. I'm not the authority of gaming, as much as my ego wishes I was. I can take my blows too, there's plenty of bad things you could say about me. I've been banned from almost every community I've joined. Sort of an outcast or whatever the case may be. I speak my mind for better or worse. Some people can handle my brutal honesty and/or arrogance, others can't.

Your punctuation is terrible, suggests a total lack of any sort of education! Which explains a lot :lol:
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nutcrackr
Going to take a few days or weeks to get a feel for this patch but already I'm noticing that choppers are staying a bit further back and high in the air than prepatch.
G-O-A-T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 G-O-A-T
Member since 2011 • 160 Posts

damn i havent played bf3 since the start if summer but i wont play until armored kill comes out so i cant play both map packs for the first time at once

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

Did they add offline bot matches?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Wasdie  Moderator

xLittlekillx

No. Not happening. Never will. Stop asking. Just give up on the series.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

[QUOTE="Gamesterpheonix"]Is there a problem with the new patch? Did it make hit detection worse or is it just how it was before?Wasdie

Not really. I actually felt that everything was a bit smoother. The UI looked crisper, the game had a better response time, the animations were much better in sync.

The "issue" with the patch is the helis and how they got a pretty big nerf. I actually shot one down with a stinger yesterday. It was quite amazing.

lol today I got shot down with ANYTHING by the stinger. Several times too. They're freakin boom sticks. Maybe I should put Stealth back on though...was using air radar to get the edge...damn engis...love to play em...hate to fight em...lol.
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

Wasdie

No. Not happening. Never will. Stop asking. Just give up on the series.

Never!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
I love that the HIT detection is OFF !!! I'm not the greatest at shooting at people so when I miss, I actually kill someone :) :) :)
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#46 couly
Member since 2004 • 6277 Posts
Why is it that every time I update I can't run BF3? 'The game must be installed', it is **** installed!
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bonafidetk

damn i havent played bf3 since the start if summer but i wont play until armored kill comes out so i cant play both map packs for the first time at once

G-O-A-T
logic, you has none.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
Why is it that every time I update I can't run BF3? 'The game must be installed', it is **** installed!couly
Just repair it through Origin.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Gamesterpheonix"]Is there a problem with the new patch? Did it make hit detection worse or is it just how it was before?Gamesterpheonix

lol today I got shot down with ANYTHING by the stinger. Several times too. They're freakin boom sticks. Maybe I should put Stealth back on though...was using air radar to get the edge...damn engis...love to play em...hate to fight em...lol.

What I noticed is that heli pilots and jet pilots don't pop their flares soon enough. They got used to the flares having an instant effect. Really they need to pop the flares either the second the missile is launched, or if a lock has been sustained for awhile and then they need to bolt out of there.

People will adjust.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

I was playing a bit the game the last week the game in my new rig until my GTX 690 failed (again) and I was forced to call for a RMA. I didn't like BF3 at all but is still better than the other competitive fps; sadly overheating in the GPU is making muy progress towards rank 45 a bit slower, but I have plans to reach it and maybe even buying the premium map pack if my graphic card finally stops annoying my gaming sessions.