Battlefield 2 windows 7 problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by zerosaber456 (1348 posts) -

Hello all,

I'm having a small issue with BF2 on windows 7....... I've installed this game twice and each time I encountered the same set of problems.

A) After I install the game I restart my computer, start up BF2 and I get a blakc screen then back to the desktop. I tried running as admin, no go, I switched the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3, no go

B) when I try to patch BF2 to v 1.50 the installer says says I have the newest version which I don't because I just finished installing the game

Anyone konw any fix(es) for this?

#2 Posted by Dr_Brocoli (3724 posts) -
ROFL I LOVE how you blame win7 when its your pc not win7. I have bf2 on my win7 no probs.
#3 Posted by zerosaber456 (1348 posts) -
Um I never said I blamed windows 7 I was simply stating windows 7 because games have an issue with the windows 7. No offense but if your not going to help don't bother posting
#4 Posted by blooddog28 (2049 posts) -
Hmm... I had a few issues with BF2 and win7 64bit too. But no black screen... make sure you download punkbuster? which version win7 you running.
#5 Posted by bond22 (596 posts) -
#6 Posted by MyopicCanadian (8343 posts) -

Not sure about the black screen, but the patch thing.. you can download patch 1.41 to install over base, and then install 1.50 over 1.41. Or you can edit a reg key to pretend you have 1.41 and 1.50 will install over top, but you'd have to google it.. I can't remember the proper key off hand.

#7 Posted by zerosaber456 (1348 posts) -

If I were you I would contact EA

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/376111.page;jsessionid=9A34447A25395B2F10161DA7FA70F47D

and let them know of this issue in dealing with Windows 7

Hope this helps

bond22
I appreciate your help but that's for bad company 2 lol. As for what version I have, it's win7 64 bit home premium I believe. the black screen kinda goes like this: I click bf2 then the bf2 screen shows up then it looks like it's about to load into the game (black screen) then crashes to desktop
#8 Posted by albi321 (1552 posts) -
[QUOTE="bond22"]

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/376111.page;jsessionid=9A34447A25395B2F10161DA7FA70F47D

Hope this helps

zerosaber456
I appreciate your help but that's for bad company 2 lol. As for what version I have, it's win7 64 bit home premium I believe. the black screen kinda goes like this: I click bf2 then the bf2 screen shows up then it looks like it's about to load into the game (black screen) then crashes to desktop

What are your specs? I tried running battle field 2 when it frist came out on my really old computer and it did the same thing. It was because my graphics card couldnt handle it.
#9 Posted by zerosaber456 (1348 posts) -
[QUOTE="zerosaber456"][QUOTE="bond22"]

Hope this helps

albi321

What are your specs? I tried running battle field 2 when it frist came out on my really old computer and it did the same thing. It was because my graphics card couldnt handle it.

4 GB RAM AMD phenom II X3 720 processor at 2.80 GHz Radeon 4850
#10 Posted by MyopicCanadian (8343 posts) -

Yeah I have almost the exact same setup.. you'll prob be ok once you patch.

#11 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (14785 posts) -

If patching BF2 doesn't work, you can try downloading the DirectX runtime from the MS web site. I know Windows 7 comes with DX11. But, I recall needing the DX runtime for a couple of games.

#12 Posted by nocturial (239 posts) -

you won't be able to patch bf2 to 1.50 if you haven't installed patch 1.3 it's ridiculous, but it's true...

#13 Posted by TwoWheeledStig (1 posts) -
Had exactly the same problem. Try re-installing, patch to 1.41, then patch to 1.5. If you don't patch to 1.41 before 1.5 then it won't work.
#14 Posted by Nibroc420 (13563 posts) -
Um I never said I blamed windows 7 I was simply stating windows 7 because games have an issue with the windows 7. No offense but if your not going to help don't bother postingzerosaber456
Windows 7 has no problem with games. However some windows 7 USERS have problems understanding how to run games. If you're getting a black screen, it's probably a punk-buster or GPU error. Do you meet the requirements? Have you gotten the latest drivers? have you patched the game? Have you looked for similar errors on the BF2 Website?
#15 Posted by zomglolcats (4335 posts) -
Um I never said I blamed windows 7 I was simply stating windows 7 because games have an issue with the windows 7. No offense but if your not going to help don't bother postingzerosaber456
Actually no, that's not really true. Only a handful of games have problems. The vast majority that do are extremely old.
#16 Posted by zerosaber456 (1348 posts) -
I forgot to post..... I patched to v1.41 then 1.5 and the game works like a charm now