Battlefield 2 Most Realistic Mod, Project Reality, Comes To CryEngine 3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

Project Reality 2

Project Reality is perhaps the most realistic mod of Battlefield 2. Good news then for everyone that its sequel is coming to CryEngine 3 as a free-to-download multiplayer game. According to the team behind it, Project Reality 2 will see the popular mod from Battlefield 2, being completely re-built with the aim to create the most realistic and demanding virtual combat environment using the powerful tools that Cryengine 3 has.

Project Reality 2 will continue to be inspired from the worlds current conflicts, which will feature the armed forces of the United Kingdom, United States, Germany, Russia, Israel, China, and Canada, as well as numerous insurgent and irregular forces.

Project Reality contains some of the deepest cooperative gameplay seen in video games today and is designed to promote both technical realism and teamwork without sacrificing accessibility in doing so. The result is a virtual battlefield that continually proves itself to be both enjoyable and intense to all manner of players, whether they be military enthusiasts or gamers looking to experience an intense and challenging firefight with friends where teamwork is just as important as a quick trigger-finger.

The team is currently aim to hit the alpha stage this month, so it will be interesting to see whether it will be able to amaze PC gamers with CryEngine 3s superior visuals.

Enjoy the following screenshots!

screenshot0012wzscreenshot0017f

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/battlefield-2s-most-realistic-mod-project-reality-comes-to-cryengine-3/#more-45226 BF2 on Cryengine 3 sounds great! You can find more info here.

http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=316&t=106034

#2 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -
Sweet :D I want
#3 Posted by MacBoomStick (1822 posts) -

Project Reality >>>>>>>>>>> Battlefield 2 >>>>>>>> Battlefield 3. I cant wait for this.

#4 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

One of the best MP games on a new engine with better graphics and being free is just too epic!

#5 Posted by Wasdie (50575 posts) -

ArmA 3 is coming, who cares about Project Reality?

PR on the BF2 engine was way too ambitious for its own good. It had some good qualities, but the engine held it back way to much. I have no idea why it gets so much praise. 

A CryEngine 3 version will be good, but don't expect wonders as now they are starting from scratch. 

The Project Reality team tried to make Project Reality work with ArmA 2 and it failed miserably.

#6 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2620 posts) -

I hope its not on the crysis engine. i can barely run crysis 1 and that came out in 2007 :/

#7 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -

I hope its not on the crysis engine. i can barely run crysis 1 and that came out in 2007 :/

_SKatEDiRt_
It's on CryEngine 3...
#8 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2620 posts) -

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

chrisrooR

It's on CryEngine 3...

Okay well I HOPE ITS NOT ON THE CRYENGINE PERIOD.  which is what i meant in the first place. but you probably knew that. just nit picking eh?

#9 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

_SKatEDiRt_

It's on CryEngine 3...

Okay well I HOPE ITS NOT ON THE CRYENGINE PERIOD.  which is what i meant in the first place. but you probably knew that. just nit picking eh?

....No...it...is on the CryEngine. It says it right in OP?
#10 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17469 posts) -

Wasdie

Why can't the two co-exist ?

Anyway like you said, they are starting from scratch this will probably take a while before releasing so people can enjoy ARMA first and try this mod out once it releases.

#11 Posted by psn8214 (14929 posts) -

Wasdie

Amen.

#12 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2620 posts) -

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"] It's on CryEngine 3...chrisrooR

....No...it...is on the CryEngine. It says it right in OP?

bob loblaw ;/

#13 Posted by MacBoomStick (1822 posts) -

PR on the BF2 engine was way too ambitious for its own good. It had some good qualities, but the engine held it back way to much. I have no idea why it gets so much praise. 

A CryEngine 3 version will be good, but don't expect wonders as now they are starting from scratch. 

The Project Reality team tried to make Project Reality work with ArmA 2 and it failed miserably.

Wasdie
The multiplayer in Arma isn't built for PvP and CQC in the Arma games is bad. I hope Arma 3 can fix those things. I will even go as far as to say that Arma 2 isn't as tactical as Project Reality just because the AI is so bad.
#14 Posted by kozzy1234 (35332 posts) -

Wasdie

Cosign 100%

#15 Posted by kozzy1234 (35332 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

MacBoomStick

I will even go as far as to say that Arma 2 isn't as tactical as Project Reality just because the AI is so bad.

Meh, ARMA2 >> Project Reality as far as realism goes imo

#16 Posted by Nick3306 (2631 posts) -

[QUOTE="MacBoomStick"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

kozzy1234

I will even go as far as to say that Arma 2 isn't as tactical as Project Reality just because the AI is so bad.

Meh, ARMA2 >> Project Reality as far as realism goes imo

I agree but Project Reality >>> ARMA2 in terms of pvp multiplayer.
#17 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

kozzy1234

Cosign 100%

Agreed. Moving on to Arma 3 and BF4.
#18 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Impressive stuff, they're really taking on a huge amount, building the game raw in an engine then using predone assets, functions and frameworks. All the talk about ArmA 3, I'm super exited about it for sure, but seriously it's nice to have some variety in milisimishshooters.

Wasdie
If you don't mind me asking why did it fail, stiff entrenched competition from ACEmod? I was eyeing it a while ago but never gave it a whirl.
#19 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

All the talk about ArmA 3, I'm super exited about it for sure, but seriously it's nice to have some variety in milisimishshooters. skrat_01
I agree 100%, Arma 3 is nice and all, but this also sounds good.

#20 Posted by The_Capitalist (10838 posts) -

From my very brief experiences between ArmA 2 and Project Reality, I sort of liked Project Reality a little more in terms of controls. It was a mil-sim, but with controls I could  acclimate to easily. ArmA 2, on the other hand... took me a while to get used to the controls, and even then, I never knew how to control the AI bots under my command effectively. 

#21 Posted by Jebus213 (8919 posts) -

_SKatEDiRt_
You should be doing 60+ fps with a rig like yours....
#22 Posted by Jebus213 (8919 posts) -
I will even go as far as to say that Arma 2 isn't as tactical as Project Reality just because the AI is so bad.MacBoomStick
Yeah you haven't played Arma.
#23 Posted by Wasdie (50575 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

skrat_01

If you don't mind me asking why did it fail, stiff entrenched competition from ACEmod? I was eyeing it a while ago but never gave it a whirl.

It failed because they tried to make it PvP in a PvE environment. I don't know how much PvE stuff they had, but basically it was nothing in comparison to the ACE mod.

The ArmA 2 community will play any mod worthy of their time. One doesn't just suck the life out of the rest. But the problem is that the PR mod for ArmA never really got off the ground. They didn't really have the support and ACE was doing basically what Project Reality wanted to do but 100x better. They couldn't make themselves stand out more.

The problem with Project Reality is it isn't very realistic, no matter what people tell you or what you think. It sacrifices a lot of realistic qualities for fun. Even ArmA has to, but ArmA keeps the ballistics in check  much better than Project Reality.

So PR never really would have fit with the ArmA community. The ArmA community is a group of people who actually enjoy the more cumbersome and boring mechanics of sims. It's a very niche community. PR had a great sense of teamwork and extremely well made mechanics for what they were trying to do. The various factions felt great, the maps were very large, the objectives were a lot more fun than typical Battlefield, and it had plenty of content. 

#24 Posted by MacBoomStick (1822 posts) -
[QUOTE="MacBoomStick"]I will even go as far as to say that Arma 2 isn't as tactical as Project Reality just because the AI is so bad.Jebus213

Except I was only in a Milsim clan for 8 months. You can game the AI so bad in that game. Nothing compares to real people.
#25 Posted by Nick3306 (2631 posts) -
I never understood people comparing arma to project reality. Arma is100x more realistic than PR. However, i found PR to be way more fun. It was much more realistic than bf2 and the combat was always intense. Forcing players to work as a team is really not seen in todays games. We have "team games" like bf3 but lets be honest, most people are in it for themselves (especially with the huge oversight that is not having voice chat).
#26 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -
I never understood people comparing arma to project reality. Arma is100x more realistic than PR. However, i found PR to be way more fun. It was much more realistic than bf2 and the combat was always intense. Forcing players to work as a team is really not seen in todays games. We have "team games" like bf3 but lets be honest, most people are in it for themselves (especially with the huge oversight that is not having voice chat).Nick3306
Yep, so true!
#27 Posted by Jebus213 (8919 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="MacBoomStick"]I will even go as far as to say that Arma 2 isn't as tactical as Project Reality just because the AI is so bad.MacBoomStick

Except I was only in a Milsim clan for 8 months. You can game the AI so bad in that game. Nothing compares to real people.

Which one please? Did you play ACE? Co-op? TvT? What was the AI difficulty? Other then bad performance, I've never had a problem with playing PVP(TvT) with 50-90 people in Arma 2. I played PR for a long time. I don't see how it's more tactical then Arma 2.
#28 Posted by psn8214 (14929 posts) -

I never much played Arma's PvP; Project Reality likewise failed to grab my interest. Arma 2's editor though... oh my. So many hours lost.

#29 Posted by Wasdie (50575 posts) -

[QUOTE="MacBoomStick"][QUOTE="Jebus213"] Yeah you haven't played Arma.Jebus213

Which one please? Did you play ACE? Co-op? TvT? What was the AI difficulty? Other then bad performance, I've never had a problem with playing PVP(TvT) with 50-90 people in Arma 2. I played PR for a long time. I don't see how it's more tactical then Arma 2.

Project Reality has much better tools for teamwork. Mix that with the suppression and the horrible CoF and the game can feel a lot more "tactical".

#30 Posted by Jebus213 (8919 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="MacBoomStick"] Except I was only in a Milsim clan for 8 months. You can game the AI so bad in that game. Nothing compares to real people.Wasdie

Project Reality has much better tools for teamwork. Mix that with the suppression and the horrible CoF and the game can feel a lot more "tactical".

You need tools for teamwork? Arma 2 has a suppression mechanic. PR's is fvcking annoying and glitchy.
#31 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -

It failed because they tried to make it PvP in a PvE environment. I don't know how much PvE stuff they had, but basically it was nothing in comparison to the ACE mod.

The ArmA 2 community will play any mod worthy of their time. One doesn't just suck the life out of the rest. But the problem is that the PR mod for ArmA never really got off the ground. They didn't really have the support and ACE was doing basically what Project Reality wanted to do but 100x better. They couldn't make themselves stand out more.

The problem with Project Reality is it isn't very realistic, no matter what people tell you or what you think. It sacrifices a lot of realistic qualities for fun. Even ArmA has to, but ArmA keeps the ballistics in check  much better than Project Reality.

So PR never really would have fit with the ArmA community. The ArmA community is a group of people who actually enjoy the more cumbersome and boring mechanics of sims. It's a very niche community. PR had a great sense of teamwork and extremely well made mechanics for what they were trying to do. The various factions felt great, the maps were very large, the objectives were a lot more fun than typical Battlefield, and it had plenty of content. 

Wasdie

Interesting, intersting, thanks for the details. Guess it's a good thing that they're moving to a new engine and building from the ground up - even if that's an absolutely huge task; guess they can carve out their slice better there. There's really not much of an inbetween when it comes to these kind of open tactical shooters, between runnan and gunnan Battlefield 3 and ArmA.

#32 Posted by the_bi99man (11058 posts) -

_SKatEDiRt_

Really? On the rig in your sig? I ask because my roommate's new system is actually a little lower specced than whats in your sig, and I ran Crysis 1 on it, maxed out, with the "extreme settings" mod, every HD texture mod there is, and the most demanding TOD mods I could find, and got 50-80 fps, with rare lows in the 40s. 

#33 Posted by gunmaster55555 (709 posts) -
Wow badass project reality was always a super fun mod :D
#34 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2620 posts) -

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

Jebus213

You should be doing 60+ fps with a rig like yours....

Yeah.. thats what i thought too. if i stare at the ground ill be lucky to get 55fps on very high no AA 1920x1080 

firefights i get -20fps and its lag lag city 

i get usually between 20-30fps just walking around

Untitled.png