Backing up to a SSD

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

I am going to be getting a 500gb velociraptor hdd, and a 500gb ssd. I want to put my os on my ssd and run a few games from both my ssd and my velociraptor while using my 1.8tb hdd for music, videos and files. How exactly so I do this?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Not sure why you want a velociraptor HDD.

1)Plug in both the SSD and the velociraptor

2)Install OS and games on them

3)...

4)Profit!!!

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

Symbolic links, google that.

http://blog.danieljost.com/symbolic-links-save-space-ssd/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@MonsieurX: Well isn't a velociraptor a high performance hdd that will boost performance?

I have to check for the OS, CD, but couldn't I make a back up image on my old hdd, and put that image on the sdd?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts

You can Clone the drive it will make a 1:1 copy keeping everything Program is called HD Clone .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

I just want to put a backup image on the ssd so I don't have to reinstall windows, my drivers and office all over again. Is there some free backup service like that? I've used HD clone before and it's terrible...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

I just want to put a backup image on the ssd so I don't have to reinstall windows, my drivers and office all over again. Is there some free backup service like that? I've used HD clone before and it's terrible...

You can use paid products like ShadowProtect or Acronis, or a free one like EaseUS TodoBackup.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@MonsieurX: Well isn't a velociraptor a high performance hdd that will boost performance?

I have to check for the OS, CD, but couldn't I make a back up image on my old hdd, and put that image on the sdd?

Yes.

Velociraptor were the shit went SSD weren't mainstream but they're outdated now.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

Never had an issue

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

You should never ever use an SSD as a backup or move mass files to one. SSDs become slower over time and by moving a ton of files to one you can degrade it very quickly. SDDs should always just be a brand new drive, never move files to one unless it's just a few.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

It's not a lot of files I'm moving, I just want to make sure my os is on it. So do I use a back up image or do I have to reinstall everything? The ssd is 500GB. I can scrap my velocipator idea and just maybe have office and Windows 8 on my ssd and use my 1.8tb hdd for everything else. I'm just trying to figure out how to put the os on the ssd without having to reinstall is the main issue...

EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR

What are you exactly trying to do?

From your first post, I understand you will be using all 3 drives hooked up at the same time (all internal) and that you want the OS and some games to be on the SSD, other games to be on the Velociraptor, and then your videos and music on your 2TB drive.

That to me seems like something you can do with symbolic links, but again I'm not sure if that's what you're asking.

I'd just do a fresh install to the SSD to be honest.

If you don't want to re-install, then you can use cloning programs like the one Samsung provides for their SSDs or Clonezilla

http://www.happy-sharks.com/post/2011/02/13/Switching-from-Sata-to-SSD-with-Clonezilla-without-reinstalling-Win7.aspx

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

I am going to be getting a 500gb velociraptor hdd, and a 500gb ssd. I want to put my os on my ssd and run a few games from both my ssd and my velociraptor while using my 1.8tb hdd for music, videos and files. How exactly so I do this?

You're throwing your money away with that velociraptor, they not worth it, just get a WD Black or another SSD.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@EducatingU_PCMR:

Originally, I was going to put my os on the ssd, games on the velociraptor and everything else on the 1.8tb, however, I am scrapping the velociraptor and just using the ssd and my old hdd. I don't know where exactly my Windows installation CD is, and I used up my last license with my current build for Office... so if I install those on my ssd even if I find the CDs there is no guarantee they will work. That's why I was seeing if there was any way I could either clone a drive or make a backup image of it just too put it on the ssd.

EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EducatingU_PCMR

@Mighty-Lu-Bu:

Clonezilla then.

Xiaor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 3

#16 Xiaor
Member since 2003 • 1386 Posts

I used an awesome free cloning software to do mine. But I forgot the name of it. You're welcome.

I'll try to remember to check my PC when I get home. It was super simple. No issues. No re-installing Windows.