AVR (no physical pre-amps) to amplifier question(s)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Weird_Jerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Weird_Jerk
Member since 2010 • 646 Posts

My current receiver, Yamaha's RX-V577, has no pre-outs, aside from those for the 2 subwoofers. My question basically is as follows: if I were to buy larger, more power-hungry speakers, would using "disable amp" in the audio options allow me to pass the unamplified signal through the the audio outs (not pre-outs)? If so, what sort of connection would I use? Is this even possible, or might "disable amp" just be some random option?

The 80W/channel with seven channels sounds fine enough with my current setup, but with more powerful speakers, I doubt 80W would be enough, and I would rather avoid buying yet another receiver with all the pre-outs, which would cost substantially more than the one I have ($450<<<$750). Considering my receiver has all the bells and whistles of the other mid/high-fi AVRs (excluding Dolby PLz for more vertical sound fields), I see no reason to get anything better if there is even a single way to rig my receiver to some more powerful external amplifier(s), so long as the signal is unaffected by additional noise--I'm looking at you, you sketchy de-amplification solutions!

TLDR: Any insight into how one would connect an AVR with a "disable amp" feature but without pre-outs to an external amplifier be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

80w will be enough for 90% of consumer speakers.

Also I doubt the disable amp will do what you want, I've never seen speaker outputs at line level.