Average game length in Dota 2 vs. LoL

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

One of the reasons I don't play LoL as much as I used to is because once you're in a game, well -- you're basically stuck in there. Unlike shooters where you can hop into a pub and hop out, in MOBAs once you've started, quitting almost always ruins the experience for the rest of your team.

I was wondering which game generally sports longer games on average -- Dota 2 or LoL? I have both installed on my computer, but I would like to know before seriously diving into either one (Dota 2 for the first time, and LoL more in-depth with some mates for ranked matches).

Thanks in advance.

TLDR: Which game takes longer to finish on average, Dota 2 or LoL?

Hamitay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 Hamitay
Member since 2008 • 733 Posts

It really depends.

On average I would say dota is longer, however it is easier to snowball while lol gives the losing team more of a chance to put a fight.

So:

Dota: 40-60 minutes

LoL: 40-50 minutes, however there is surrender making games end at 20 minutes

WizardGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 WizardGlass
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts
right now, considering there is no way to concede in DOTA2 atm.... LOL has far shorter games. average DOTA2 game is 40-50 minutes. LOL games are over prior to, or at the 30min mark typically.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

LoL: My friend says it takes her about an hour on average. Unless you completely suck, it'll last like 15 minutes haha.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CaptainAhab13

LoL: My friend says it takes her about an hour on average. Unless you completely suck, it'll last like 15 minutes haha.

Elann2008
o.O Most of my LoL matches take *at least* 35ish minutes, if not 45 or 50. I suppose 25 minutes at a bare minimum, occasionally.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Freaking Hell !!! These matches take longer than an MMO Dungeon !!!
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Definitely DOTA 2, had a 1 hour and 30 min match about 3-4 days ago. :( We won it but there should definitely be a concede option for those games that you just get roflstomped.
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

DOTA2 is longer atm because there is no FF option.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
Definitely DOTA 2, had a 1 hour and 30 min match about 3-4 days ago. :( We won it but there should definitely be a concede option for those games that you just get roflstomped.tagyhag
Been there playing with Tag. I have to agree DOTA 2 is much longer.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CaptainAhab13
Ah, thanks for the civil replies everyone! (Was half-expecting some nutty flame war to start up). I'll give Dota 2 a shot when I have a few spare hours this Friday, and hopefully a concede option will come soon. It looks like a superb game, and I've already put up with the LoL community -- nothing can be worse. :P Hell, I'll play both, but focus more on LoL until Dota 2 at least has a concede/surrender option. ;) Cheers!
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CaptainAhab13
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]Definitely DOTA 2, had a 1 hour and 30 min match about 3-4 days ago. :( We won it but there should definitely be a concede option for those games that you just get roflstomped.HarlockJC
Been there playing with Tag. I have to agree DOTA 2 is much longer.

Good lord. :| Out of many LoL matches I have played, only one lasted more than about an hour (and that was an EPIC, 2-hour long, *very* well played match).
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

If you're talking about giving up, LoL is faster, but Dota 2 is a lot more balanced and the speed depends on the team, an average match can take from just 20 minutes to 45 minutes, there's no giving up in Dota 2, as a team that is, individuals can still be pricks and give up, or better for us that actually care, leave, because they will have a harder time finding matches with every leave they "accomplish".

Dota 2 doesn't need a concede option and I hope the Valve team that works on it will never give in to the whining, Dota 2 doesn't work like LoL or HoN, you can win a match even if you have a bad start, in LoL if somebody has a bad start they whine and afk or surrender vote, it's retarded (because in LoL and especially HoN, not keeping up instantly means the game is lost, they're trash when it comes to balance).

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
DAMNIT.....how are people getting into Dota 2???? i wanna play this game so friggin badly!!!
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
DAMNIT.....how are people getting into Dota 2???? i wanna play this game so friggin badly!!!
kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts
[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]Ah, thanks for the civil replies everyone! (Was half-expecting some nutty flame war to start up). I'll give Dota 2 a shot when I have a few spare hours this Friday, and hopefully a concede option will come soon. It looks like a superb game, and I've already put up with the LoL community -- nothing can be worse. :P Hell, I'll play both, but focus more on LoL until Dota 2 at least has a concede/surrender option. ;) Cheers!

Just play the game you enjoy the most, don't listen to the fanboys. You will have a great time with both games if you don't end up with team mates that behave like asshats, both games are full of those though.
timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

One of the reasons I don't play LoL as much as I used to is because once you're in a game, well -- you're basically stuck in there. Unlike shooters where you can hop into a pub and hop out, in MOBAs once you've started, quitting almost always ruins the experience for the rest of your team.

I was wondering which game generally sports longer games on average -- Dota 2 or LoL? I have both installed on my computer, but I would like to know before seriously diving into either one (Dota 2 for the first time, and LoL more in-depth with some mates for ranked matches).

Thanks in advance.

TLDR: Which game takes longer to finish on average, Dota 2 or LoL?

CaptainAhab13
Currently Dota 2 takes longer with no concede option. It will likely be implemented, looking at HoN. Once it is implemented games on Dota 2 should be shorter. If your good at Dota 2 you can push much harder for an early game win with certain characters (a buddy of mine used to be able to push for a 20 min win or lose with beastmaster before work on a regular basis) whereas in LoL early game wins/losses tend to rely on one team getting completely creamed or having leavers.
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

DotA: The average low level pub will be around 40ish to 50ish minutes. Assuming there's a relative balance in the picks, eg. both teams not having more than 1-2 carries, and having a good assortment of support and gankers. There's the occasional game though, where one team picks all carry heroes, the other team picks all gankers/pushers, and the game is over by the 20 minute mark.

Mid leve, clan war games, tend to last about 30ish minutes, usually everything is decided in the mid game, especially with the recent push-crazy metagame.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

LoL also has the non-Dota variations that are shorter games. There's a 3v3 game mode that should be shorter than 5v5. Also the Dominion mode (5v5 with capture points) is closer to 20-30 minutes.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

Dominion never takes more then 20. Ever.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CaptainAhab13

Prexxus
Haven't played Dominion yet. Any good?
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
Had a 115 minute match in LoL yesterday (pretty epic ARAM), however DOTA 2 matches tend to be longer because of no surrender option.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
[QUOTE="Prexxus"]

CaptainAhab13
Haven't played Dominion yet. Any good?

Very imbalanced in comparison to the normal 5v5 map. It makes characters like Rammus, Heimerdinger, and anyone with decent CC and speed gods.
creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 creaturemagic
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts
[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]Ah, thanks for the civil replies everyone! (Was half-expecting some nutty flame war to start up). I'll give Dota 2 a shot when I have a few spare hours this Friday, and hopefully a concede option will come soon. It looks like a superb game, and I've already put up with the LoL community -- nothing can be worse. :P Hell, I'll play both, but focus more on LoL until Dota 2 at least has a concede/surrender option. ;) Cheers!

Surprisingly the community isn't bad (Well not from my experience with the Asian/Australian matches) I let everyone on my team know I was new and I had a guy help me with my lane the whole match. Which allowed us to win as me and him kept moving up until we destroyed their whole base. A very good first match/experience of Dota 2 and MOBA games in general (After hearing about how bad communities can be, it was very nice not to have to deal with a crap community)
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CaptainAhab13
[QUOTE="creaturemagic"][QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]Ah, thanks for the civil replies everyone! (Was half-expecting some nutty flame war to start up). I'll give Dota 2 a shot when I have a few spare hours this Friday, and hopefully a concede option will come soon. It looks like a superb game, and I've already put up with the LoL community -- nothing can be worse. :P Hell, I'll play both, but focus more on LoL until Dota 2 at least has a concede/surrender option. ;) Cheers!

Surprisingly the community isn't bad (Well not from my experience with the Asian/Australian matches) I let everyone on my team know I was new and I had a guy help me with my lane the whole match. Which allowed us to win as me and him kept moving up until we destroyed their whole base. A very good first match/experience of Dota 2 and MOBA games in general (After hearing about how bad communities can be, it was very nice not to have to deal with a crap community)

You got very lucky. ;)