Automatic fan control on GPU or not?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -

I am using a AMD card. I assume automatic fan control would adjust the fan appropriately for each temperature, is this the case?

If not how do I change the automatic settings (I know how to put manual, but it doesn't adjust for different temperatures)

#2 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7270 posts) -
I believe is auto by default. I end up mapping the fan speed on Msi ab 70c = 70% speed.
#3 Posted by clyde46 (43913 posts) -
Get MSI Afterburner and create a custom fan profile.
#4 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38194 posts) -

Should be on auto by default, but you are better off making a custom one because auto profiles tend to give high temps. My GPU gets to 75 degrees on auto but on a custom one I keep it at 61 at the max.

#5 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -
Is it necessary to have higher than the default auto though?
#6 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38194 posts) -

Is it necessary to have higher than the default auto though?SaltyMeatballs

Not necessary at all, you can have it at whatever you want. I would avoid 100% fan speed though as it will wear out your fan pretty fast. I just find auto doesn't go high enough to regulate the temps.

#7 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -

Yeah, ok I set the fan a bit higher for higher temperatures.

One more question though. I use MSI but looking at the AMD Catalyst thing it shows GPU clock and memory clock are always on highest, temp is a bit higher due to this, activity shows 0% however (because I am not doing anything graphically?).

Before the clock speeds used to fluctuate depending on what I was doing, is this normal for MSI?

#8 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38194 posts) -

Yeah, ok I set the fan a bit higher for higher temperatures.

One more question though. I use MSI but looking at the AMD Catalyst thing it shows GPU clock and memory clock are always on highest, temp is a bit higher due to this, activity shows 0% however (because I am not doing anything graphically?).

Before the clock speeds used to fluctuate depending on what I was doing, is this normal for MSI?

SaltyMeatballs

Are you sure it's not just showing the base clocks? LIke my cards base clock is 914MHz and it shows it at that constantly when browsing or whatever. The GPU clock won't go to 0 when you're not in game, doesn't work like that.

#9 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -
No. The GPU clock and memory clocks were always at the highest, even when not gaming, when I close afterburner they go back to lower speeds when idle.
#10 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7270 posts) -

No. The GPU clock and memory clocks were always at the highest, even when not gaming, when I close afterburner they go back to lower speeds when idle.SaltyMeatballs

Maybe a glitch? Reinstall? Check the right hand side with the charts, mines read 0% at max clock with 2 monitors, but 0% at 50mhz core/100 memory clock with 1 monitor while surfing.

#11 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -

Ok it's normal. I updated Afterburner and the idle clock speeds are lower again.

#12 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38194 posts) -

Ok it's normal. I updated Afterburner and the idle clock speeds are lower again.

SaltyMeatballs

Glad you got it fixed, Afterburner can be finnicky sometimes because it doesn't even display my proper readins for my 670 and I have to use Asus GPU tweak, not a big difference though. Still a good programmes and my GPU is factory OC'd so I don't have to d!ck around as much with it

#13 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -
Yeah I remembered why I stopped using it. Can be a pain in the ass when you tinker with too much.