AT2020 USB Microphone with XLR

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nima0041

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 nima0041
Member since 2013 • 50 Posts

Hello,

I have the AT2020 USB Microphone, and I basically only use it for podcasting. I didn't buy the XLR version since I didn't know if my PC supported it or not. But I recently read that if you use XLR, the audio quality will be much better. So I'm looking for some way to be able to use XLR without buying the XLR version. I have the ASUS Xonar DX soundcard.

I've been looking at converters that would work in this order:

AT2020 > USB Female to USB Female > USB Male to XLR Female > XLR Female to 3.5mm Jack

Would this work or increase the audio quality at all? Or does someone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
- Nima :D

Branmuffin316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Branmuffin316
Member since 2009 • 1208 Posts

Doing it that way won't improve it. You would just be changing the connection and XLR female to XLR female doesn't make sense. To use XLR with your PC you would need to buy an interface with a mic pre.

This thread should help.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/827443-at2020-usb-vs-xlr.html

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

The XLR version can be better if used with something with a better analogue to digital converter than the one built into the USB version. Since you're using the USB version it has a built in ADC (since USB is digital).

There is nothing you can do, you idea will basically sound far worse since you'll be converting between analogue and digital loads of times. Perhaps you should have done some research on basic digital audio before purchasing.