Arma 3 worth buying?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danygo1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 danygo1996
Member since 2009 • 377 Posts

Already seen what the game's about, im just being sure if it's worth my money and if its a great game.. last game i pre-ordered was diablo 3..... so i learned a lesson from it

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

There are only a few vehicles and weapons in the alpha and only 3 official missions, however the in game editor and modding means you can make or download an almost never ending supply of all of those things. So yes, if you like any of the previous OFP or Arma games, then its worth it.

They have made a lot of improvments over Arma 2, the physics still need a bit of work but they are already better than in Arma 2 and the movement just feels so smooth now. I am happy with my purchase, its a great improvement overall and its only going to get better.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts
Considering this is just the alpha build I´d say yes,the game is pretty ace and a big improvement on Arma 2,overall it´s a very different situation compared to what D3 was.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Absolutely! The game is already far far better than it's elder and it's damn well better than any other shooter you can name so yeah, it's well worth the price.

danygo1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 danygo1996
Member since 2009 • 377 Posts

Game will turn then into beta and then retail as time passes , when i purchase it? Just wondering, never bought an alpha stage game

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Game will turn then into beta and then retail as time passes , when i purchase it? Just wondering, never bought an alpha stage game

danygo1996

If you buy now, you just get it $20 or so cheaper and then you get access to the alpha and beta and are able to help out by reporting bugs and such. Hopefully with all the people reporting we'll get a relatively smooth launch when the game is finally "finished".

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I think i'm going to buy it too. Any of you with similar PC builds to mine know how well it'll run for me? I've got a GTX 460 1GB, 16GB ram and an i5 2500 Intel cpu. I also play at 1080p but i don't have to max it out (which i know i never can these days with games).

I really want to try out Arma 3 so hopefully it's playable for me.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
If you enjoy that kind of game then sure. The Alpha alone has more value than most complete (and full price) games.
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

if you played games like Red orchestra 2 and like it, you will like Arma 3.

Bieberfan147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bieberfan147
Member since 2012 • 106 Posts
Nah just get or stick with call of duty. I'm tired of all these new clones trying to do it better or something a little different with their twist and fail. I'm so bored of all these bad shallow games. I'll just stick with call of duty
Avatar image for crippledmachine
crippledmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 crippledmachine
Member since 2013 • 256 Posts

I think I'll get it at some point.

Enjoyed Arma 2.

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

I think I'll get it at some point.

Enjoyed Arma 2.

crippledmachine

its in beta now so getting it later is usually a great idea.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pelvist

I think i'm going to buy it too. Any of you with similar PC builds to mine know how well it'll run for me? I've got a GTX 460 1GB, 16GB ram and an i5 2500 Intel cpu. I also play at 1080p but i don't have to max it out (which i know i never can these days with games).

BattleSpectre

Give me your steam ID and ill give you Arma 3 Alpha Lite. Im not sure what limitations are in Alpha lite but it will at least give you some idea.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pelvist

Nah just get or stick with call of duty. I'm tired of all these new clones trying to do it better or something a little different with their twist and fail. I'm so bored of all these bad shallow games. I'll just stick with call of dutyBieberfan147

Arma III is a COD clone? :lol:

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#15 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
Nah just get or stick with call of duty. I'm tired of all these new clones trying to do it better or something a little different with their twist and fail. I'm so bored of all these bad shallow games. I'll just stick with call of dutyBieberfan147
WTF are you talking about you IDIOT!
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BattleSpectre

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

pelvist

Give me your steam ID and ill give you Arma 3 Alpha Lite. Im not sure what limitations are in Alpha lite but it will at least give you some idea.

Thank you very much for the offer but luckily i was already gifted it from acanofcoke. I'm pretty much running it all at medium settings with 2x Anti Aliasing and it's running pretty smooth, i'm sure the full game will be tweaked for more optimization so i'm a happy camper haha.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
I'd say it is considering the price atm and getting the finished game when it comes out. The alpha is fun to mess around with, game looks and plays great.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
It's in Alpha, so if you like wait till the final release. If you actually really like milsims then it could be worth it keeping that in mind. I'll be buying, just because of Bohemia's pedigree and legacy alone, love OFP and despite their faults they've stuck to this kind of formula through all the rain and hail.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PernicioEnigma
I have 3 Arma 3 lite gifts and no one to give them to. It would be a shame to waste them so send me a PM if you're genuinely interested and I'll be happy to gift them to the first three people.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#20 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Don't give this low life the satisfaction of a real response, report him. This is a troll account, every one of his posts are like this.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#21 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Arma and Call of Duty are two completely different style of games. 

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#22 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Yes, definatly worth buying.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#23 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

GO back to system wars, COD and ARMA are nothing alike.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Stop feeding the troll, sigh.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

I want someone to create a civilian vehicle terrorist blowing up simulator! I love blowing up that cilvlian vehicle at the start of the driving mission. But Iam abit of a noob to create one myself.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

[QUOTE="Bieberfan147"]Nah just get or stick with call of duty. I'm tired of all these new clones trying to do it better or something a little different with their twist and fail. I'm so bored of all these bad shallow games. I'll just stick with call of dutykozzy1234

GO back to system wars, COD and ARMA are nothing alike.

He's an obvious troll, especially with a username like that :lol:

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="Bieberfan147"]Nah just get or stick with call of duty. I'm tired of all these new clones trying to do it better or something a little different with their twist and fail. I'm so bored of all these bad shallow games. I'll just stick with call of dutyvfibsux

Don't give this low life the satisfaction of a real response, report him. This is a troll account, every one of his posts are like this.

Yeah, any account named "Bieberfan" is very likely to be a troll account .
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Yes, definatly worth buying.

kozzy1234
How are things going in Alpha, Kozzy? :D I just watched Giantbomb's "quick look" and I laughed my ass off. I can't wait to get this game.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Hope you have a good PC, I get 20fps in the alpha.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

kraken2109
That's pretty brutal. What settings are you using? I wanna pre-order it, but I think I'll wait for build/driver updates to improve performance.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BattleSpectre

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

C_Rule

That's pretty brutal. What settings are you using? I wanna pre-order it, but I think I'll wait for build/driver updates to improve performance.

I can run it fairly well at medium with some settings on high and 2xAA and my graphics card is pretty sh!te to be honest. You should have no problem running it at all with your PC C-Rule.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

C_Rule

It just auto-set the settings and i put FXAA on low. It could do with some kind of tutorial - the controls are a bit weird.
Arommerce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Arommerce
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I would like an alpha lite acess but i would like to know how it works,is it a code or what?my email is gabrielbiage@hotmail.com. please send my email with all the information if hter is any alpha lite acess left. pls reply =D
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

Loving it so far. you all should buy it

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
If you think paying a developer to be an unofficial play tester for their game is a good idea, I've honestly lost a lot of faith in this industry and in humanity in general.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
If you think paying a developer to be an unofficial play tester for their game is a good idea, I've honestly lost a lot of faith in this industry and in humanity in general.SKaREO
Pre-ordering games has been a thing for a long time.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ultraking
If you think paying a developer to be an unofficial play tester for their game is a good idea, I've honestly lost a lot of faith in this industry and in humanity in general.SKaREO
I don't mind. I mean I got the game for like $30. gives me alpha, beta, and full game. looks like a win for me.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
[QUOTE="SKaREO"]If you think paying a developer to be an unofficial play tester for their game is a good idea, I've honestly lost a lot of faith in this industry and in humanity in general.ultraking
I don't mind. I mean I got the game for like $30. gives me alpha, beta, and full game. looks like a win for me.

"Me, me, me." No offense, because everyone looks at things selfishly rather than seeing the *BIG PICTURE* and that is that developers can profit from their game before it's even ready to ship. Thanks to the support of paying customers, we can expect this sort of thing to become the norm, and a lot more money going into shoddy practices similar to what we saw with War Z. I always knew pre-ordering games was a bad idea, but now it's going a giant leap further.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ultraking
[QUOTE="ultraking"][QUOTE="SKaREO"]If you think paying a developer to be an unofficial play tester for their game is a good idea, I've honestly lost a lot of faith in this industry and in humanity in general.SKaREO

"Me, me, me." No offense, because everyone looks at things selfishly rather than seeing the *BIG PICTURE* and that is that developers can profit from their game before it's even ready to ship. Thanks to the support of paying customers, we can expect this sort of thing to become the norm, and a lot more money going into shoddy practices similar to what we saw with War Z. I always knew pre-ordering games was a bad idea, but now it's going a giant leap further.

whoa. lets not compare WarZ to Arma3.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="ultraking"]I don't mind. I mean I got the game for like $30. gives me alpha, beta, and full game. looks like a win for me.ultraking

He's a known troll. Ignore him.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Maxed out I get between 30-60FPS, the key is to lower visibility.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

mitu123

No, the key is lower OBJECT visibility. Lowering total visible range gives you an ugly fog in the distance. I'd max VIEW distance by default, or at leasty set it to 10000. Then play with your object visibility to find your sweet spot for frame rates. I'm running it 12000 View distance, and 3500 Object distance on my PC (3770K @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 Gb RAM, and GTX 480). 

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

psn8214

No, the key is lower OBJECT visibility. Lowering total visible range gives you an ugly fog in the distance. I'd max VIEW distance by default, or at leasty set it to 10000. Then play with your object visibility to find your sweet spot for frame rates. I'm running it 12000 View distance, and 3500 Object distance on my PC (3770K @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 Gb RAM, and GTX 480). 

What's your framerate at?
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 psn8214

What's your framerate at?Elann2008

40~60 at all times. Some microstuttering with PiP and other things, but those are known issues judging by what people are saying on the Arma 3 forums. I'm playing at 1080p btw.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#45 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

psn8214

I forgot to mention that, lol.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PernicioEnigma

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

psn8214

True, but does lowering the object visibility include other players.enemies?
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 psn8214

I forgot to mention that, lol.mitu123

I mean, you're not necessarily wrong. It's just that in my experience, I don't take much of a frames hit maxing actual view distance. It seems like the object view distance (which makes sense) is the primary killer of frames when you're playing with those two settings, and limiting overall view distance just looks plain ugly sometimes, especially when flying jets or helicopters. Better to max view then find an optimal object view distance for your specific GPU. 

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 psn8214

True, but does lowering the object visibility include other players.enemies?PernicioEnigma

It does, but lowering overall view distance limits view of these as well, and as I noted prior, I found that frames were limited by object view distance, not overall view distance (i.e. I found pushing object distance to 4000 or above resulted in generally poor frames, but increasing overall view distance to values at or beyond that didn't really make my frames any better or worse. Thus, it follows that one might max view distance as its effects on frames are minimal). Obviously this may vary per GPU. I'm using a GTX 480 and my processor is pretty damn good as well, so mileage may vary based on hardware.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="ultraking"][QUOTE="SKaREO"] "Me, me, me." No offense, because everyone looks at things selfishly rather than seeing the *BIG PICTURE* and that is that developers can profit from their game before it's even ready to ship. Thanks to the support of paying customers, we can expect this sort of thing to become the norm, and a lot more money going into shoddy practices similar to what we saw with War Z. I always knew pre-ordering games was a bad idea, but now it's going a giant leap further.

He's a known troll. Ignore him.

I went and bought it just because of him. <3  Anyway, I'd say BIS has proven they're not 'that' kind of studio. Lots of post-release support and general awesomeness. Downloading now, we'll see how it goes!