Are you paying attention on greenlight? I was not

#1 Posted by charlesdao (13 posts) -

This is my first post, Hi guys!

So, i was disapointed with steam greenlight, i was rarely impressed with a game

then i saw that, AND I WAS DISGUSTED, i really did not like the trailer, but when i stopped for 5 minutes and read the game description...

This can be a unique indie gem!

This was curious because, we care so much for the trailer, and images sometimes when we are at greenlight and we dont pay much attention on the ideia itself. I just wanted to point that if we pay more attention and see that this is really early on development we can relate more to other greenlight projects, just think about this! are you really paying attention on greenlight?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=257548515 -

This is the link of the game! But this can happen to anygame, is like...Poor marketing, but great ideia!

#2 Edited by maynardburger (187 posts) -

Sometimes. But I do find myself dismissing a lot of games based on my lack of interest in the art style, or if the game looks like its being made by a first-time developer and likely wont ever even get finished(or will be ugly and terrible if it does).

I'm also turned off by 99% of games that have 'rogue-like' or '2D platformer' in the description, which saves me a lot of time since that seems to make up a vast number of these indie games. I don't hate these genres, but they have to be something quite special for me to care, and for that, I can just wait til I have people recommending them. There's also a flood of point&click adventure games, which I usually look past because I can only play so many of this type of game.

So all in all, I find myself clicking on a game here and there, and I'll usually give it an overview, both the vid, description and screenshots, maybe some user comments. But there's so much junk on there too and I quickly lose motivation to keep browsing.

#3 Edited by Horgen (110055 posts) -

I rarely look at the greenlight section.

#4 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16296 posts) -

I was a big fan of greenlight in the beginning. I could put my favourite games on steam thanks to it (Ikaruga, Black Mesa, ...)

But the service has turned into a mess, and so has the steam storefront. So many old games, so many broken games, so many unplayable games, so many unfinished games. It's not funny anymore.

Also because of stuff like this, I'll never visit greenlight again:

Shame for the good devs out there, but the greedy, dishonest and plain bad ones messed it up for the rest.

#5 Edited by Sleepyz (3776 posts) -

Wow those 2 games were beyond awful! I never bother with greenlight and those crappy games showed me i did good not going there. Also will be very careful of early access from now on. Last one i bought was The dead linger and not too sure about that one, over a month and still waiting for an update.

#6 Posted by maynardburger (187 posts) -

There are genuinely good or promising games on Greenlight. They're just mired in the depths of all the other junk.

#7 Posted by thereal25 (358 posts) -

@horgen said:

Me neither. It's like, we've had the 80's, let's move on.

#8 Edited by BattleSpectre (5963 posts) -

I've never given a second glance at the greenlight section on Steam in my 4 years of PC gaming to be honest (Yes I'm a newby).

#9 Posted by Arthas045 (5100 posts) -

@horgen said:

Same here....

#10 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2510 posts) -

Most of the time , games aren't good there but sometimes games like Black Mesa , The Forest etc are pretty amazing .

They need to do something to prevent scams .

#11 Posted by uninspiredcup (7828 posts) -

I've never given a second glance at the greenlight section on Steam in my 4 years of PC gaming to be honest (Yes I'm a newby).

Some titles such as Grim Dawn and Asseto Corsa are genuinely games being worked on with huge updates and progress with community feedback paving the way. But yea, ignoring it for the most part is probably the for the best.

#12 Edited by kozzy1234 (35153 posts) -

Use you brain, do some research, look on youtube and twitch for footage, check out what other games the devs have done,etc...

Having the option to get early access or greenlight games is great, but people just have to use common sense. There has been some fantastic one sand some crap ones, if you spend a little energy it is not very hard to figure out what is going to be terrible and what YOU might enjoy playing/supporting. Alot of people dont use common sense and dont even know what a game in alpha or greenlight is. I have yet to support a greenlight/early access game that was complete crap, why? Because I do soem research. 19/20 for the early access/kickstarter/greenlight games I have supported ive enjoyed, even the one I didnt like (Contagion is more just not for me personally, but not a horrid game). The others I have had a blast on and very glad I helped support and also got to play early on. Yet to buy a game on steam that DOES NOT WORK at all, just use common sense people, please.

It was not hard to see that WarZ, Garrys Day One, Earth 2066 and Towns would be crap. On the flip side I checked videos, info on the devs,etc.. and I am extremely glad I got to try these games early like: Prison Architect, Wasteland2, Grim Dawn, Divinity Original Sin, Project Zomboid, ARMA3, Dont Starve, DayZ, State Of Decay, Korbel Space, 7 days to die, Rim World, Chivalry, Shadowrun, FTL, Next Car Game and many more I have had more fun with than most AAA releases. Sure there is some crap games in early access and greenlight but just dont support them, stay away.

#13 Edited by Sleepyz (3776 posts) -

Use you brain, do some research, look on youtube and twitch for footage, check out what other games the devs have done,etc...

Having the option to get early access or greenlight games is great, but people just have to use common sense. There has been some fantastic one sand some crap ones, if you spend a little energy it is not very hard to figure out what is going to be terrible and what YOU might enjoy playing/supporting. Alot of people dont use common sense and dont even know what a game in alpha or greenlight is. I have yet to support a greenlight/early access game that was complete crap, why? Because I do soem research. 19/20 for the early access/kickstarter/greenlight games I have supported ive enjoyed, even the one I didnt like (Contagion is more just not for me personally, but not a horrid game). The others I have had a blast on and very glad I helped support and also got to play early on. Yet to buy a game on steam that DOES NOT WORK at all, just use common sense people, please.

It was not hard to see that WarZ, Garrys Day One, Earth 2066 and Towns would be crap. On the flip side I checked videos, info on the devs,etc.. and I am extremely glad I got to try these games early like: Prison Architect, Wasteland2, Grim Dawn, Divinity Original Sin, Project Zomboid, ARMA3, Dont Starve, DayZ, State Of Decay, Korbel Space, 7 days to die, Rim World, Chivalry, Shadowrun, FTL, Next Car Game and many more I have had more fun with than most AAA releases. Sure there is some crap games in early access and greenlight but just dont support them, stay away.

I didn't like Zomboid and really tried but atleast they give you a demo not to waste your time and all these early access should have demos. I tried demo of planet explorers and was very impressed (Can get from their site).

Other great early titles are Craft the world (over 200 hrs on it) And Space engineers they add something cool every week.

What i suggest to people is don't insta buy anything and look at the forums, youtube and check what kind of updates they did. Take your time to make sure you don't end up with a title you hate in your game list. I truly regret Dayz and now have to see this in my list all the time.

#14 Edited by Blutfahne (262 posts) -

You link no work.

#15 Posted by illmatic87 (15156 posts) -

It is oversaturated with so many games now. I'd prefer it now if there were more software on it.

Seeing that Valve has seemingly opened the floodgates to games popping up on the store page (see the new releases section being busier than ever), I dont think it's that hard for a serious project to make it to Steam.

I think Greenlight could benefit with the Steam tagging system to filter out games that may interest you.

#16 Edited by groowagon (2760 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k lol at those videos... then people are like "wtf Steam?! i bought this game wich is total shit! i want my money back!" i wonder what people think before they click that buy button. "hmm it has hell in it's title. must be good. i like hell."

there are some occasional treasures too, but they are very rare.

#17 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2404 posts) -

Nope.All indie games are worthless garbage.

i would buy COD and AC before buying any indie crap

#18 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16296 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k lol at those videos... then people are like "wtf Steam?! i bought this game wich is total shit! i want my money back!" i wonder what people think before they click that buy button. "hmm it has hell in it's title. must be good. i like hell."

there are some occasional treasures too, but they are very rare.

Yeah, I don't see many people upvoting or buying pure shit like that.

But what if there is a game on early access that looks good, and then you end up buying it and it turns out to be utter shit. There were no reviews to warn you and the screens and videos all looked good.

I haven't been in a situation like that myself. But buying something on early access is really, really risky. And it's a great way for devs to avoid reviews that can keep people away from buying something.

#19 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5887 posts) -

Steam went from the extreme of not allowing anything on Steam without a publisher to basically allowing anything and everything. So much for a happy medium.

#20 Edited by PimpHand_Gamer (272 posts) -

Indie games scene on Steam is a mess imo. If any of you are old enough to remember the great video game crash back in the Atari days, this huge flood of indie games reminds me of how all the indie games on Atari started the crash. If nothing else, it certainly makes coming across the higher budget titles much more difficult.

I get that Greenlight is a filter, a method for gamers to choose what they would pay for to prevent another Atari case, but I'm not sure it's working, I think everyone is just green lighting everything they come across regardless. It's cheap gaming, so maybe more people overlook the bad ones without complaining much. The Alpha/Beta crap is pure crap, I fell for it once with a game called paranormal like almost a year ago I think or longer...and despite all those promises, it was supposed to be done a long time ago, it's STILL in "Alpha". seriously....alpha. And it's still a POS. The only thing serious about this game is that I think the author is no longer working on it, he made his cash and hit the road.

#21 Edited by KHAndAnime (13412 posts) -

You know these are just random projects uploaded by random people, right? Reading this thread, it sounds like you guys believe these are being sold alongside real games on Steam...hate to spoil your fun guys - you can't even buy these games, they aren't being sold to people. The exact purpose of Greenlight is to vote on conceptual projects, down-voting crap projects and voting up the good ones. Something tells me not a single person here even has the slightest clue what Steam Greenlight is...

The exact reason it exists is so people can attempt to bring anything they want onto Steam. Just because it's on there doesn't mean it's going to end up on Steam. There has always been crap on Greenlight. All you have to click is "No, I am not interested in this game". In all entertainment mediums there is going to be crap. Crap TV, crap music, crap movies, crap art, etc. - not every game is going to be a winner.