Are these guys legit?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Hey folks,

Buddy is totally hyped for Titanfall, wants me to buy him a key with paypal and he would give me cash. He is looking at this site, now those prices are half of those at the Origin store, even less for the Russian version. It's not my money but I still wanna make sure it's ok. Did anyone ever buy any keys from those sites listed?

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I've only used 3 of those listed and my last purchase was COD:Ghosts (£17) which I bought from G2A. It was my second buy from them and it was smooth.

The other two I have used are SimplyCDKeys and CJSCD-Keys and they were fine too. A word of advice if you like, don't buy Russian keys, I did for BF3 and it's more trouble than it's worth/

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PfizersaurusRex

@klunt_bumskrint: Cool. So what's the hassle with the Russian version? It's not region locked is it? I can play on all servers? If it's just the Russian menu I can live with that.

edit: yes, now I'm hyped, too :).

maynardburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By maynardburger
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts

Key-selling sites are notoriously sketchy, often selling at such prices because they're using stolen credit card info from around the world.

And while many are unreliable, others do reliably get you the keys you paid for, but again, the methods they used to obtain those keys are likely not legitimate.

SimplyCDKeys seems to be one of few trustworthy places, offering proper customer service, reliable transactions and most importantly - are an off-shoot of a legit retailer(Simply Games in the UK).

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

G2A.com - 40$ global key, 30$ Russian.

I'd go with global one, but if you pick Russian, you'll only have Russian language.

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PfizersaurusRex

@PredatorRules said:

I'd go with global one, but if you pick Russian, you'll only have Russian language.

Yea but what does it mean? Only Russian menu or is voice acting also Russian? Don't feel like playng Roboheroes of Stalingrad :/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-579f651eab962

Everything is in Russian and you have to install separate language packs, plus every time there is a patch you have to reinstall the language packs and Russian patches. It's just not worth the effort. I won't be doing it again.

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PfizersaurusRex

OK so 30 Europeans/40 USD. Still better than Origin store. Can't wait :)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@PfizersaurusRex said:

@PredatorRules said:

Yea but what does it mean? Only Russian menu or is voice acting also Russian? Don't feel like playng Roboheroes of Stalingrad :/

Not sure it has voice acting in Russian, you can try to google that if you want but as far as I understand the main menu and all the info will be written in Russian.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@maynardburger said:

Key-selling sites are notoriously sketchy, often selling at such prices because they're using stolen credit card info from around the world.

And while many are unreliable, others do reliably get you the keys you paid for, but again, the methods they used to obtain those keys are likely not legitimate.

SimplyCDKeys seems to be one of few trustworthy places, offering proper customer service, reliable transactions and most importantly - are an off-shoot of a legit retailer(Simply Games in the UK).

All they're doing is acquiring games where they're cheaper and selling them in a different region - it's as old as the concept of importing/exporting itself. I've had nothing but stellar customer service from multiple Key-selling sites. I've yet to meet anyone to even sensationalize getting ripped off by one...it must not happen THAT often - they're always highly spoken of in these parts AFAIK.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

My mate did buy a game (can't remember what it was) from a cd key online store (can't remember what that was either) and EA deleted it from his Origin account. D:

It wasn't Russian.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I have been tempted to use G2A.com, but haven't seen a deal yet I had to have. Now they are running Starcraft 2 expansion for 20 bucks this weekend. I might jump on that give them a try.

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PfizersaurusRex

@klunt_bumskrint said:

My mate did buy a game (can't remember what it was) from a cd key online store (can't remember what that was either) and EA deleted it from his Origin account. D:

It wasn't Russian.

Uh that's not cool.

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PfizersaurusRex

OK i bought an activation code at instant-gaming.com, they emailed it instantly. 30 euros :)

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Arthas045

@PfizersaurusRex said:

OK i bought an activation code at instant-gaming.com, they emailed it instantly. 30 euros :)

Cool prices there it is converted into $ for me I believe. You made me itchy on jumping on Starcraft expansion......

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

@PfizersaurusRex said:

Hummm.....never heard of them. Makes me wonder if I should start a new sticky of reputable places to buy keys (obviously not endorsed by GS) and people could leave honest reviews and experiences.

What do ya'll think?

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Arthas045

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@PfizersaurusRex said:

Hummm.....never heard of them. Makes me wonder if I should start a new sticky of reputable places to buy keys (obviously not endorsed by GS) and people could leave honest reviews and experiences.

What do ya'll think?

I think it would be a great idea... I never heard of any of these besides g2a.com

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PfizersaurusRex

@Arthas045 said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@PfizersaurusRex said:

What do ya'll think?

I think it would be a great idea... I never heard of any of these besides g2a.com

But cheap keys are against publishers' interests. And GS is sort of friendly with publishers :O.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-579f651eab962

@PfizersaurusRex: I suppose you're tight to a degree. Though I'm more bothered about developers.

I'll see what other replies we get.

maynardburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 maynardburger
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@maynardburger said:

All they're doing is acquiring games where they're cheaper and selling them in a different region - it's as old as the concept of importing/exporting itself. I've had nothing but stellar customer service from multiple Key-selling sites. I've yet to meet anyone to even sensationalize getting ripped off by one...it must not happen THAT often - they're always highly spoken of in these parts AFAIK.

Many of these keys are not cheaper in other regions, though. If so, a VPN is all you'd need to get these games for even cheaper, which you often cant do because they aren't actually cheaper in other regions.

What you're talking about certainly accounts for some of these sales, but a fair few sites do reportedly use illegitimate means to purchase/steal game keys and then sell them off for cheap(to guarantee sales, not because they're nice guys). If you check where your money goes, its often to China or some place they can get away with it.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#21 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

Just an FYI, but Titanfall has been $40 US on Amazon for weeks now. Why waste the effort dealing with a sketchy key site when the Amazon price is the same? It even has free shipping.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@PfizersaurusRex said:

What do ya'll think?

I say do it!

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PfizersaurusRex

@SerOlmy said:

Just an FYI, but Titanfall has been $40 US on Amazon for weeks now. Why waste the effort dealing with a sketchy key site when the Amazon price is the same? It even has free shipping.

I had no idea. But anyway that price is only for DVD, digital is $50, and I live in Serbia, so no free shipping for me plus I would need to pay import tax. I did see adds from reputable sellers on our local websites offering PC DVD for that same price. Guess I may as well buy from them.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SerOlmy

Not that I'm buying it (I despise EA) but I would rather have the DVDs in this case. Especially if you have network caps or slow download speeds. The download size is nearly 50Gb due to the uncompressed audio (lol wtf?). When you buy physical it is still on 3 or 4 DVDs, but you don't have to burn your whole months caps for 1 game. This would probably be the only time that I would ever say physical is a better deal than digital just due to the sheer size of the download.

Gotta love how terrible EA is to get me to say that...

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PfizersaurusRex

@SerOlmy: 50GB is not a problem, friend who I bought this for is already lvl 12 :). And I have faster internet than him, no caps.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint: Yes please, I'd love a sticky about reputable sites to buy keys from.

Wiesmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Wiesmann
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Deleted, sorry

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SerOlmy

@PfizersaurusRex:

If you have to ask, then the answer is almost always "NO". These key-selling sites are beyond sketchy, especially when you can buy a Titanfall key on Amazon for $10. They are frequently region locked or foreign language versions and if they aren't they are either stolen or purchased with stolen credit info. Every time you are buying form one of these places you are risking your key being invalidated at least and being account banned from game services at worst. There have been several high profile key bannings on Steam and Origin in the last couple years, where key-selling sites have been selling hundreds of illegally obtained keys and Valve/EA blanket banning the whole batch.

EDIT: God damnit, caught in a necro-thread... I knew this looked familiar.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Most of those sites are ok but there is always a small chance some of them are sketchy . I have used kinguin a few times and never got problems. But in all honesty if the price difference is only 10-15% i'd rather get it off Steam/gamersgate/greenmangaming. But if you are buying off those sites dont get the Russian version even if its cheaper just get the EU/US/World version

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-579f651eab962

necro