Are there and FPS games like STALKER that are open world and non-linear?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xmen1414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 xmen1414
Member since 2006 • 1948 Posts

I want a game that is like STALKER. That is open worlded like rpg's but uses guns and stuff, not elder scrolls, and you can do what you want like in stalker and you dont have to follow te game story if you dont want!

NEOSPARKING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NEOSPARKING
Member since 2007 • 1264 Posts
gta , saints row, stalker: clear sky are the only ones I can think of. There really needs to be more non-linear rpg-like fps games out there.
oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
GTA for sure
xmen1414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xmen1414

gta , saints row, stalker: clear sky are the only ones I can think of. There really needs to be more non-linear rpg-like fps games out there.NEOSPARKING

ok no S:CS and i want a FPS and i hate GTA

perfect_chao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 perfect_chao
Member since 2005 • 2065 Posts

Battlefield 2 and get Garrys mod, if you like zombie games aswell as other free game modes then you will love it for $10 if you already have hl2 of course.

oh and i agree GTA san andreas has a MP mod so i would go with that.. the online mode always has hundreds of ppl playing.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts
the most similar would probably be Dues ex.
michael098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 michael098
Member since 2006 • 3441 Posts
Whats wrong with STALKER?
inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
crysis is pretty nonlinear
xmen1414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xmen1414

Whats wrong with STALKER?michael098

nothing i just cant run it... it makes my sad

jodamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#10 jodamn
Member since 2007 • 893 Posts

the most similar would probably be Dues ex.cobrax25

Yeah, I agree, Deus Ex rules. Huge freeform levels, sci-fi setting, rpg-style exp points and skills, weapons you can modify, and it's probably really cheap by now. :)

Oh, but don't get the the second Deus Ex game, as it totally sucked.

And you can't really count this as "open world" because it's almost entirely set on two spaceships, but I'd also consider System Shock 2.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#11 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Crysis isnt non linear. you could get to a target any way you want to. there is no right or wrong way in doing anything in crysis.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

Almost nothing mentioned so far is really what you're looking for, I'd say - but Boiling Point is pretty close to what you're looking for. It's actually more open-world and non-linear than S.T.A.L.K.E.R, but the gunplay is awful. It's not a bad game, but it's certainly not a good game.

There aren't a ton of open-world, non-linear FPS games out right now, but three in development I can think of are S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky, White Gold and Far Cry 2.

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
crysis and far cry a fairly non linear and soon to be far cry 2 and stalker clear skies
nevereathim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nevereathim
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts
Deus ex, would probably be the closest one
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#16 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
mfsa hits the nail on the head with his choices.
pseudodog07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 pseudodog07
Member since 2008 • 1106 Posts
GUN
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

Crysis isnt non linear. you could get to a target any way you want to. there is no right or wrong way in doing anything in crysis.Jd1680a

Crysis is non linear, it just isn't a free roaming game, and Gun is also good

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#19 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts

You'll find that most FPS games are linear. Some games give the illusion of being non linear because they offer multiple paths to your opjective, but you're still tied to the objective though.

I would suggest going for something like Deus Ex or wait for something like Far Cry2.

VRN-KingS-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VRN-KingS-
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts

In the end it all depends on whether you want it to feel "freeform" or whether you want true freeformity.
But saying that all games have some form of linearity to them, otherwise there would never be an end to them. The only games which TRULY lack an end are Godsims like The Sims2, Singles (Sth Rude version of Sims2) and the ilk.

Deus Ex while feeling freeform is more whats called Multiple route. All the routes cross over at keypoints in the game, the "routes" you take merely affect the outcome.

Stalker is completely freeform, (the developers were adamant it should be) but still has a quest line that is linear that leads to the end of the game.

GTA San Andreas is freeform too, and even allows you to continue after completion - but you said you hate GTA.

The only other ones I can think of are Left For Dead, when it comes out and I heard of a game (cant remember the title sorry, was in March Issue this year of PCGamer) where it is pretty much ES:oblivion with Scifi suits and weapons etc.

BlackIsle_rip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BlackIsle_rip
Member since 2008 • 1183 Posts
Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Bioshock. Try those three.
Avatar image for Indestructible2
Indestructible2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Indestructible2
Member since 2007 • 5935 Posts

I would recommend Crysis,but if your PC can't run STALKER,Crysis will butcher your PC without fail.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Almost nothing mentioned so far is really what you're looking for, I'd say - but Boiling Point is pretty close to what you're looking for. It's actually more open-world and non-linear than S.T.A.L.K.E.R, but the gunplay is awful. It's not a bad game, but it's certainly not a good game.

There aren't a ton of open-world, non-linear FPS games out right now, but three in development I can think of are S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky, White Gold and Far Cry 2.

mfsa

Oh yes, Boiling Point, talk about a game that had some serious potential! I did actually find myself enjoying parts of the game though ;) and the gunplay was not one of them.

OP, there's a summary of BP here: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25442766&page=0

I'm hoping White Gold is the game that Boiling Point could have been, it certainly looks like it could be:

White Gold Trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/17309.html
White Gold Vehicles Trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/124822.html

1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 1nverted
Member since 2006 • 1654 Posts
Oblivion? It's a freeroaming FPS if you can look past the fact that there is no guns.
Agujereado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Agujereado
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

when it comes out and I heard of a game (cant remember the title sorry, was in March Issue this year of PCGamer) where it is pretty much ES:oblivion with Scifi suits and weapons etc.VRN-KingS-

You might be thinking of Fallout 3? By the same developers as TES4: Oblivion.

xmen1414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xmen1414
i cant wait for fallout 3 , i have never played any fallouts before but this one is a FPS, i realy hope i h a new PC before that comes out! abd the new stalker comes out
VRN-KingS-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VRN-KingS-
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts

[QUOTE="VRN-KingS-"] when it comes out and I heard of a game (cant remember the title sorry, was in March Issue this year of PCGamer) where it is pretty much ES:oblivion with Scifi suits and weapons etc.Agujereado

You might be thinking of Fallout 3? By the same developers as TES4: Oblivion.

Yup! How can I forget that name?! -_-8 but like the dude said earlier if you can barely run STALKER, theres no chance at Crysis, and depending on how well Bethseda optimise Fallout 3 its likely that wont run either. But hot damn! I just want to see the Fallout Shelters and the traps inside WHOO!

Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts

Fallout 3 will still be an RPG despite the perspective it uses.

lepermessiah2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lepermessiah2
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts
Stalker Clear sky looks awesome, looks liek thet are delivering on their original concept.
tim_urmom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tim_urmom
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
it's been a year, but i built a new computer for stalker. You can't find any games similar to stalker because what defines stalker is the environment and setting. No game comes close to the tension it provides, from the chilling dungeons, to the bleak outskirts of Chernobyl. All of the gameplay elements, from the different weapons, ballistic effects, jamming weapons, and getting fatigued, add to an already outstanding environment. A year later, no game comes close. Fallout 3 has a terrible environment, really clunky first person and third person shooting, and mediocre rpg skills.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

In today's breaking news - An archeologist has uncovered a derelict gamespot thread that traces its origin back to early 2008. Experts believe the discovery will shed light on understanding the consumer behaviour in the months leading up to the greatest economic crisis of the century.

nikola96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 nikola96
Member since 2008 • 836 Posts

Deus ex and Gta

ASRCSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 ASRCSR
Member since 2008 • 2793 Posts

GUN, if you like the old west.

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

battlfield 2142?

mercenaries 1 & 2

just cause?

deadspace?

bioshock?

half life 2?

fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fudgeblood
Member since 2008 • 3165 Posts
Lol, old thread is old.
CrysisAero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CrysisAero
Member since 2009 • 100 Posts

[QUOTE="cobrax25"]the most similar would probably be Dues ex.jodamn

Yeah, I agree, Deus Ex rules. Huge freeform levels, sci-fi setting, rpg-style exp points and skills, weapons you can modify, and it's probably really cheap by now. :)

And you can't really count this as "open world" because it's almost entirely set on two spaceships, but I'd also consider System Shock 2.

*Cough* Crappy graphics = unplayable even if amazing game at its time *Cough*

CrysisAero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CrysisAero
Member since 2009 • 100 Posts
[QUOTE="tim_urmom"]it's been a year, but i built a new computer for stalker. You can't find any games similar to stalker because what defines stalker is the environment and setting. No game comes close to the tension it provides, from the chilling dungeons, to the bleak outskirts of Chernobyl. All of the gameplay elements, from the different weapons, ballistic effects, jamming weapons, and getting fatigued, add to an already outstanding environment. A year later, no game comes close. Fallout 3 has a terrible environment, really clunky first person and third person shooting, and mediocre rpg skills.

*cough* If you went 10000 years back in time you would get oblivion *cough*
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

far cry 2...

fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 fudgeblood
Member since 2008 • 3165 Posts

[QUOTE="jodamn"]

[QUOTE="cobrax25"]the most similar would probably be Dues ex.CrysisAero

*Cough* Crappy graphics = unplayable even if amazing game at its time *Cough*

*Cough* Graphics whore *Cough*.
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
gta , saints row, stalker: clear sky are the only ones I can think of. There really needs to be more non-linear rpg-like fps games out there.NEOSPARKING
Are you serious? Those games aren't even comparable to STALKER..meaning there more like 3rd person shooting games, so GTA and Saints Row should definitely NOT be compared as something "Like STALKERr" because there not.
sensesfail99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 sensesfail99
Member since 2005 • 256 Posts

OP should DEFINITLY check out DEUS EX!!!!!!!!!!

theres no way you can not like that game. And dont play like 10 min and say it sucked, give it a chance, play it for a few days. it didnt win GOTY for nothing, and have a huge fanbase.

BLUBBBER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BLUBBBER
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts

OP should DEFINITLY check out DEUS EX!!!!!!!!!!

theres no way you can not like that game. And dont play like 10 min and say it sucked, give it a chance, play it for a few days. it didnt win GOTY for nothing, and have a huge fanbase.

sensesfail99

Dude, the person won't even notice this post anymore.... You just revived a year old thread

Greyfoo-t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Greyfoo-t
Member since 2010 • 151 Posts

Ahh nice necromancy here, but hey even better I dont have to resurrect this thread...

So its May 2010, has anyone found any good fps similar to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC, or CS (ahh CoP was rather, well crap imo)?

I agree that their environment and atmosphere cannot be copied but the free-roaming, tons of guns feeling definitely can.(please dont recommend Far[t] Cry2 as its the most repetitive, boring game I`ve ever played-but also the most beautifully rendered...)

So is there any good one out there?

klaytonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 klaytonix
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
So Fallout 3 doesn't fit the bill? Also, what about Borderlands?
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dakan45
So Fallout 3 doesn't fit the bill? Also, what about Borderlands?klaytonix
Those 2 with far cry 2 are considered better than the stalker series by me in terms of open world fps with exploration.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Far Cry 2, Fallout 3.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#48 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
[QUOTE="klaytonix"]So Fallout 3 doesn't fit the bill? Also, what about Borderlands?dakan45
Those 2 with far cry 2 are considered better than the stalker series by me in terms of open world fps with exploration.

Far Cry 2 i liked very much but i liked Stalker more. Fallout 3 just sucked. Borderlands haven't played yet.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dakan45
[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="klaytonix"]So Fallout 3 doesn't fit the bill? Also, what about Borderlands?GeneralShowzer

Far Cry 2 i liked very much but i liked Stalker more. Fallout 3 just sucked. Borderlands haven't played yet.

Why falout 3 sucked? Far cry 2 could learn from that game in terms of explorations and missions. Borderlands is like a diablo leveling up rpg with smal regions that you open boxes and get loot.
Greyfoo-t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Greyfoo-t
Member since 2010 • 151 Posts

Same here as I said FC2 looked brilliant, the AI conversation is one of a kind, good (**** buy and selling system though)but its main and probably only problem is the repetitiveness,and that when u cleared a roadblock or checkpoint literally one minute later bad guys would respawn, whoever played and finished it must know exactly what I am talkin about.

Fallout3 was a funny game but thats all, nothing extraordinary, finished the game, enjoyed it but would not play it ever again as the shooting-weapon system is unrealistic.

Borderland-never played it, I am just reading the review(not so much by GS but by yous ladies and gentlemen as your review are always closer to the actual quality of the game-except the few radical ones)