Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I'm talking for a simple rig with one decent gpu (damn those things are loooong), 8gb of RAM and the such. How many of you use a mid case? Have you had any problems with mid cases? thanks :)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I use a minitower (mATX mobo) case for my FX8350/MSI 4gb 770 combo. I found out I needed to improve my air circulation to deal with the video card heat. So, I jerry-rigged a couple of 90mm front intake fans to help push the heat out back.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I use the CoolerMaster HAF 912. It's a midtower and it works well! Most cases you'll find have removable Harddrive cages to make room for larger cards. So you should be fine with most cases. Reviews on YouTube are your best friend if you want to see the insides of the case first! :)

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Usually all mid towers are ideal for a single GPU and most of them are good for dual GPU setups.

In order to be sure, just check how long the GPU you wanna place in a tower is, cause some of them are really long....

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

sure, unless you are going triple sli or something, or if you are going to buy a dual core gpu,

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

thanks guys. I'm looking at the sapphire r9 280, which isn't excessively long, but my case is that of an hp pavilion elite and it already looked pretty cramped when I opened it up, which got me thinking... of course most of it is probably due to bad cable management, which I can fix when I change the psu. I'm still a little concerned about heat and noise but if I find a problem with that then I'll come back again asking more questions haha :D

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Are mid towers good enough for gaming? no, you need full tower for 1-2 GPUs setup -_-

Now me being serious - yes.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

Mid towers are perfectly fine, however the question is, is the case made for optimal airflow and room for the intended hardware? .... Most OEM/prebuilt cases just suck for cooling and room you be better off picking up a $50 mid tower case.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@ianhh6: I use a 350D... how would this cause me any problems?

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#10  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

Yes, but you may want to plan ahead. When I built this rig the mid-tower I bought wouldn't fit my GPU so I ended up having to buy a new full-tower. So I was out an extra $50 for the now useless mid-tower and ended up just giving it to my buddy to build a media center box. So if there is any question about space I would get the full-tower. You can usually find an NZXT Phantom for about $90 or less, which isn't that much more than you would pay for a good mid-tower. It will have better air flow, better cable management, larger fans (larger = slower so no high frequency whine), room for a bigger cooling rig, and more expansion bays.

My advice is to buy a full-tower, you will get more mileage out of it.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

What is most important is making sure your components fit in the case and that the air flow is decent.

My case it not that tall but it does fine in SLI, mainly because the case has two compartments so the power supply and disc drives are in a separate side of the case.

When running games that tax both of my GPUs and CPU things can get hot so it's important to has a lot of cool air coming into the case and a lot of the hot air being expelled out.

You don't necessarily need 6 fans like I have, just make sure to have, at the very least, one intake fan and one outtake. Also make sure the fans have a good CFM which is basically a measurement of how much air is being moved by the fan.

Bad cable management can impede air flow so make sure to keep the cables clean and out of the way,

Picture of the inside of my case below.