Are CD keys stored somewhere on the hard drive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DJgummy (377 posts) -

Hi,

I previous computer's motherboard got fried so now I'm copying over my pc games onto a new computer. I've misplaced the instruction booklet to one game, Dragon Age: Origins, and was wondering if I could find the CD key (originally on the booklet) somewhere on my old hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by dpeter45 (156 posts) -

Unfortunately, no. This is one of the huge advantages of digital distribution services like Steam. You never have to worry about losing cd keys.

#3 Posted by DarkblueNinja (971 posts) -

Try download Origin and log in with your account. if you register the game then I think you can download and play it without the needed of CD-key.

#4 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5579 posts) -

Actually they are in most cases. How else would the game remember the key and not ask for it everytime the game is started? You need to dig around the registry for them.

#5 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13650 posts) -

I remember being able to get them out of the registry in either windows 98 or 2000, I don't think XP, vista or 7 have that capability though.

#6 Posted by ocstew (4381 posts) -

Actually they are in most cases. How else would the game remember the key and not ask for it everytime the game is started? You need to dig around the registry for them.

Whiteblade999
This. Google it.
#7 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

They are stored in the system registry. u might find it if u run regedit.exe, but be careful while ur in there.

#8 Posted by PublicNuisance (4582 posts) -

There is a program called magic Jelly Bean that will display CD Keys for some programs but not all. Could give it a go.

#9 Posted by 0alex0 (317 posts) -

Dragon Age: Origins *should* display the CD key from the launcher's setup program.