Are all MMO's garbage?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hecklemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hecklemonkey
Member since 2007 • 279 Posts

Maybe I'm just jaded by how boring and repetitive WoW is, but I was wondering if all MMO's are also utter garbage? Obviously, some people enjoy the game, others are addicted by the carrot on a stick, etc, but I find a game with boring mechanics, lack of any interesting story (outside of bits and pieces of poorly written quests and dialogue), and unbalanced pvp to be kind of.....not worth playing.

If I judge solely by WoW, I'd say MMO's are like weeds: they are very low quality, but produce a huge volume of material, they're time consuming to deal with, and they choke out the other plants.

What I'm wondering is if this is just not a genre for me, or if WoW is just really really bad (albeit very efficient at gathering a large player base). At any rate, I'm going to spend my limited gaming time playing something memorable and fun.....I have a long list of great games to play. Still have to finish FEAR, zelda TP, RE4, Sam and Max, Prince of Persia 2/3, Trauma Center, The Longest Journey.....the list goes on.

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

Maybe I'm just jaded by how boring and repetitive WoW is, but I was wondering if all MMO's are also utter garbage? Obviously, some people enjoy the game, others are addicted by the carrot on a stick, etc, but I find a game with boring mechanics, lack of any interesting story (outside of bits and pieces of poorly written quests and dialogue), and unbalanced pvp to be kind of.....not worth playing.

If I judge solely by WoW, I'd say MMO's are like weeds: they are very low quality, but produce a huge volume of material, they're time consuming to deal with, and they choke out the other plants.

What I'm wondering is if this is just not a genre for me, or if WoW is just really really bad (albeit very efficient at gathering a large player base). At any rate, I'm going to spend my limited gaming time playing something memorable and fun.....I have a long list of great games to play. Still have to finish FEAR, zelda TP, RE4, Sam and Max, Prince of Persia 2/3, Trauma Center, The Longest Journey.....the list goes on.

hecklemonkey

Sounds like you just like offline-only games.

xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

Honestly, it all depends how you look at the MMO experience. And a lot to do with who you play them with. I have to admit that since I stopped playing WoW (where virtually all of my MMO-buddies went after it came out and have yet to quit) that MMO's became a lot more dull to me. WoW is a great game. It's success isn't undeserved and the Blizzard has done a hell of a job with the game, despite what all the burn outs will tell you.

You do have a great list of games there, and you should enjoy them. I think the problem with MMO's is their addictive nature and it's effect on people with a bit too much free time and/or lack of self control.

Anyways, just play what's fun in the end. And if you've never played any other MMO's, EverQuest 2 is one of the better ones out there now and you can try it for free if you want.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
they might not be your thing, try out guild wars or diablo 2, not exactly mmorpgs, but they have enough in common for you to decide whether you like mmorpgs or not.
captainkire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 captainkire
Member since 2004 • 31 Posts

The biggest problem most people have with MMOs is how the same amount of time spent grinding produces diminishing results as you level(without the game becoming more interesting and fun). I remember back when I played WoW how I loved the first 20 levels, then the next ten were only slightly amusing, and then I dragged on through the next ten hoping the fun would pick up after level 40 and a mount.......I quit the next day.

To the original poster:

If you like games with action and plenty to do you should stay away from most MMOs, the only one that may be fun for you could be Warhammer because it is more pvp based(but don't hold your breath).

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

hecklemonkey

well it's only WoW you haven't tried out yet Eve Online, Guild Wars, D&D Online, City of Heroes/Villains

eva89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 eva89
Member since 2004 • 807 Posts

in wow lvl40 and above is getting boring..its quite true..i stopped for awhile den continue playing..

i loved the first 30 lvls tho.

EvoStvO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EvoStvO
Member since 2006 • 517 Posts
Try Vanguard...Very fun,Few bugs but its getting better.
xxPanicxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xxPanicxx
Member since 2006 • 349 Posts

Try Vanguard...Very fun,Few bugs but its getting better.EvoStvO

Don't do this.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
If you want a great MMO experience try EVE online. As a non-MMO player this game really wowed me by how different it is from the generally saturated MMO market.
cubsfanjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 cubsfanjr
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
No,not all MMO's are garbage...I got bored of WoW quickly,but Guildwars is a great game theres a story....unlike WoW....the PvP is fun....unlike WoW. What I'm saying is if you pick any MMO to play Guildwars is the way to go ^^
AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AngelB1ack
Member since 2005 • 7936 Posts
Guild Wars series and Guild Wars 2 when released will be all you need.
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
Well, I have played only one which is Guild Wars, it was pretty cool. But one thing for you to remember, these MMO's should be played as soon as they are released, if you wait like half a year and then try to play them, you'll feel lost and there would be many things that you can't keep up with. As an advise, you canhold on till a new MMO is coming and buy it as soon as possible. Trying Diablo2 or (Titan Quest+ TQIT)won't be any waste of time, too
dykunas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dykunas
Member since 2004 • 430 Posts

What i find boring about MMO'S is that it's just a big recycling process. No major events that would change the world, no main story quests(that would make a change of some kind :)), nothing is permanently destructible.

Then again, sometimes it's really fun to play with your friends.

Sythun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sythun
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
Not all MMO are garbage, it really depends on what genre you like. If you like FPS then keep an eye on Huxley, it hasn't released yet but its looking good. Most people like a fantasy genre for their MMOs so most MMOs are fantasy. I don't have any MMO to play at the moment but i'm sure i'll find one that I like. I stopped WoW at lvl 53 because it was becoming a bit competitive but I played it for the social experience and it was fun killing each other in the arenas.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
All MMOs aren't garbage. Maybe you should check out LOTRO, it has a good story.
AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AngelB1ack
Member since 2005 • 7936 Posts
Age of conan might get me to pay to play again..last pay to play I was on was City of heroes and villians.
Erlkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Erlkoenig
Member since 2006 • 715 Posts

No,not all MMO's are garbage...I got bored of WoW quickly,but Guildwars is a great game theres a story....unlike WoW....the PvP is fun....unlike WoW. What I'm saying is if you pick any MMO to play Guildwars is the way to go ^^cubsfanjr

I played WoW for a year and quitted because I was sick of it. Then I switch to GW and was sorely disappointed: severe lack of content, **** quest design (in Factions at least), and horrible graphics (endless 80ft high worth of boxes that pass for buildings anyone?)

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#19 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
They are now. the original Ultima Online, EQ, Anarchy Online, Aheron's Call, and Dark Age of Camelot were all original and great games in their own rights; everything since has been rehashed crap. Until someone comes out with a truly original concept and gets away from the grind they will continue to be crap. Just my opinion, some people love them.
bmaisey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bmaisey
Member since 2004 • 324 Posts

lol you got factions... if you wanted pve content, thats a big mistake

prophecies and nightfall are much better for pve, factions has some decent pvp stuff tho (like alliance battles)

marc5477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 marc5477
Member since 2005 • 388 Posts
I think the problem with MMO's today is that they try to shape their audience into what they think players should be to increase their revenue rather than cater to what players want. This is how we ended up with the initial EQ2 debauchle and end game WoW content that requires you to join 100 raids just to get a single item. Its interesting to note that the decline of EQ1 happened when devs made Planes of Power and those same devs worked on end game WoW content which almost everyone hated. The 1st MMO to offer a more casual approach to MMO's in terms of single player content, balanced PvP & economy, & eliminiate excessive grinding will be a huge winner. To date no MMO has done those things.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#22 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
most of them are.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Good topic -- all of the MMOs are garbage anymore lately. I think so.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts
Guild Wars is just a downgraded version of WoW. I love MMORPGs, but I play about the worst one available (Runescape lol) but I still love it, even though it may be "bad" compared to other ones.
JuGgAlO_4_LyFe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JuGgAlO_4_LyFe
Member since 2006 • 571 Posts
Yes, they are all garbage.
akira9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 akira9000
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

My main fault with MMO's is ...

1) They try to balance every character class. People freak out if their 13 level Wizard can't solo as well as a 12th level fighter.

2) Any game that can calculate your damage in dps sucks IMHO. It means there are few or no tactics involved in combat. There is button pushing but is usually the same old sequence 90% of the time.

3) There is no sense of urgency - you cannot lose. The bad guys will never come over the hill and burn your town down because you failed to do xy or z.

4) Screwed up scale in the world - Creatures are too close to each other and because of that can only see 50 feet. If you are kickin the crap out of some creature no one will come to its aid if you are 51 feet away.

I am sure I could come up with more but these are the main ones. I have played a good number of them: Ultima Online (through Renaissance), UOX, Anarchy Online, WOW, EQ1 and EQ2, Vanguard, Guild Wars - sort of MMO, and D&D Online.

Never made it past 28th level in any of them Was bored before I could make it any further.

I had hopes for Warhammer Online but I think they have been crushed so now all I have left is DarkFall if it ever makes it to the store shelves.

jdog8888888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 jdog8888888
Member since 2003 • 506 Posts

My first multiplay online fantasy game was diablo2. Great, lasted me 6 months. I would not have played so long if it wasnt for the friends I made playing it.

I played City of Heroes and WoW after that (2-3 mo each). City was cool, but I did play with 1 friend nonstop. When we had a falling out, and didnt play together, it got old. WoW was cool, addicting, but after staying up till 3 am every night, for that half level grind, I realized it was over.

So my main point is, considering how shallow the stories usually are (but the action, mechanics usually are fairly deep) MMO's are best with friends. Otherwise, might as well play offline games!

Avatar image for ThereIsNoEscape
ThereIsNoEscape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ThereIsNoEscape
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts
I don't like MMO's either, for the most part they're nothing but countless hours of grind. Sure, levels 60 and 70 in WoW are supposed to be a blast! The problem is you spend many weeks of pressing buttons and accepting more quests just trying to get there. I used to love MMO's, but their concept gets old all too quickly.
Archebius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Archebius
Member since 2006 • 343 Posts

Guild Wars is just a downgraded version of WoW. I love MMORPGs, but I play about the worst one available (Runescape lol) but I still love it, even though it may be "bad" compared to other ones.Grodus5

Guild Wars is very, very different from WoW. I personally like it a lot better, as well.

Read Lord British's (that sounds awkward) interview on what is wrong with the MMO genre today. It rings very true, but there are several on the way that look like they're trying to be different.

The best MMO out there currently is Guild Wars, in my opinion, but that's probably because I don't care for the standard feel of an MMO and Guild Wars kind of straddles the line. I played SWG, LOTRO, WoW... all of these felt similar. Too many grocery list quests, too little storyline. All of them felt a mile wide and an inch deep. The MMO genre has gotten stagnant, and eventually games will be released that revitalize it.

Avatar image for ThereIsNoEscape
ThereIsNoEscape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ThereIsNoEscape
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts

[QUOTE="Grodus5"]Guild Wars is just a downgraded version of WoW. I love MMORPGs, but I play about the worst one available (Runescape lol) but I still love it, even though it may be "bad" compared to other ones.Archebius

Guild Wars is very, very different from WoW. I personally like it a lot better, as well.

Read Lord British's (that sounds awkward) interview on what is wrong with the MMO genre today. It rings very true, but there are several on the way that look like they're trying to be different.

The best MMO out there currently is Guild Wars, in my opinion, but that's probably because I don't care for the standard feel of an MMO and Guild Wars kind of straddles the line. I played SWG, LOTRO, WoW... all of these felt similar. Too many grocery list quests, too little storyline. All of them felt a mile wide and an inch deep. The MMO genre has gotten stagnant, and eventually games will be released that revitalize it.

I really wouldn't consider Guild Wars an MMO, just because it is entirely different from any other. Its online environment isn't open, and is only in cities, you can party with other people of course, but other than that it feels like too much of a single player game. Still, I enjoy it a lot more than I do playing WoW.

Dowie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dowie
Member since 2005 • 41 Posts
The golden era of mmorpgs are gone, all mmorpgs nowdays are mostly utter crap. Got to give it some time untill the "wow-effect" is gone.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 Cerza
Member since 2005 • 1946 Posts
Basically, yes. All MMO's are mindless money sucking grindfests.
jodamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#33 jodamn
Member since 2007 • 893 Posts
I've never played WoW, but I played eve online for a few months, but eventually it just became so repetitive and boring I had to stop. Paying a monthly fee didn't help my love of it either.
Dems06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dems06
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I've played a few MMOs. UO was fun because it had so much variety in items and customizations in characters and housing. But it's open-ended gameplay gets old and there is almost no story to it.

EQ2 is a solid game that I picked over WoW because it's graphics are great and not as "cartoonie" as WoW's. The quests in EQ2 are interesting, many are rewarding to finish, the other players are great and EQ2's housing isdonewell. A plus for new players would be that the latest expansion includes all other expansions as well... great for new players.... but that setup ends up costing more for the players that have to pay a higher price even if they already have all the other expansions....

I made the mistake of thinking that Vanguard would be on parwith EQ2, since it is from some of the same people. BIG MISTAKE!! Vanguardwas a total mess of a game. A huge grind with little reward and a broken economy. Boy, I wish I could get my money back on that one! And you can't even sell the used game..... pphhtt!

Anyway, when you get tired of paying full price for expansions and dishing out monthly fees.... And you want a game with some real story and plot.... You can get alot of bang for your buck with a great single player game like Gothic3.... Took me 8mnths to finish one of the endings in that one and I think it was only $30.

Avatar image for TheGreaterForce
TheGreaterForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheGreaterForce
Member since 2002 • 386 Posts

hecklemonkey

This is honestly the best summary of MMO's i've ever read. I agree with you man, these games lack in quality tremendously. I like how they advertise "huge worlds" however, it takes 45 minutes to walk from one place to the next, meanwhile its going to be adding up on ur $15 a month bill.