This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Anyone else considering this game? It looks awesome but a bit expensive at 17.99. I loved playing it years ago. Kind of on the fence about it to be honest.

#2 Posted by guynamedbilly (12957 posts) -
I'm considering it, but I'll wait for a sale. Still haven't played through AOE3 yet. Also, I need to know more details about what "HD" means because it looks like they just added some higher resolution options without changing the texture quality.
#3 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
Pre-ordered it the second it came out. My favorite RTS of all time. :D
#4 Posted by James00715 (2484 posts) -

I'm considering it, but I'll wait for a sale. Still haven't played through AOE3 yet. Also, I need to know more details about what "HD" means because it looks like they just added some higher resolution options without changing the texture quality.guynamedbilly

Along with the higher resolutions, I believe they improved the water textures and smoothed out some of the anti-aliasing of the old sprites. It's a subtle difference from the screenshots I have seen.

#5 Posted by Raxzor (5399 posts) -
Pre-ordered it the second it came out. My favorite RTS of all time. :Dtagyhag
This!
#6 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5887 posts) -

It is my favorite RTS of all time too, but right now I'll probably hold off on a sale since I'm still delving into BioShock Infinite. I will say the extra features do make it very enticiing. I may still just get it for ole nostalgia. :P

#7 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
It is one of my favorite RTS and yes, I´ll buy it but on a sale. Too many games right now on my backlog, not worth it to add AOE2 to my backlog.
#8 Posted by gunmaster55555 (700 posts) -
Bought it second it went on sale :D
#9 Posted by way2funny (4569 posts) -

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]I'm considering it, but I'll wait for a sale. Still haven't played through AOE3 yet. Also, I need to know more details about what "HD" means because it looks like they just added some higher resolution options without changing the texture quality.James00715

Along with the higher resolutions, I believe they improved the water textures and smoothed out some of the anti-aliasing of the old sprites. It's a subtle difference from the screenshots I have seen.

So a lot of the art is actually been redone, its subtle, but its crisper. Also The multiplayer infrastructure is basically redone and implented matchmaking and a lot of other more modern online features. I got it and I'm super excited

#10 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18360 posts) -
I want to preorder but doubt i'll have time to play it anytime soon so i'll probably pick it up during a sale. I own AOEIII but they have a deal for $27.99 for AOE2HD and AOEIII complete.. debating getting that so I have expansions for AOEIII for the extra $10 and then I get AOEII as well.
#11 Posted by DefconRave (551 posts) -
Will buy at for $10 or less, current price too ex for me.
#12 Posted by Neagus98 (86 posts) -

I'm a big AoE fan, I'll probably get it when it goes on sale. Was looking more forward to a possible HD version of Age of Mythology though :(

#13 Posted by Mehfuz (10288 posts) -

will get it for sure but when goes on sale. still have my original copy but wont mind trying out the HD graphics.

#14 Posted by ampiva (1246 posts) -
It should be a crime charging more than $5 for this. Age of Empires II was already HD, any visual improvemente you hear is a placebo. Only thing they added is the online thing.
#15 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16297 posts) -

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]Pre-ordered it the second it came out. My favorite RTS of all time. :DRaxzor
This!

Don't forget: people that pre-ordered can start playing the game since yesterday. :D

#16 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16297 posts) -

Played an hour of this today and it's great that they breathed new life into this classic.

The game looks much better and being able to play it in widescreen alone is worth the price. I don't agree with people saying the price is high. But then again I'm used to buying console HD re-releases that cost over twice as much. :P

#17 Posted by kraken2109 (13007 posts) -
It should be a crime charging more than $5 for this. Age of Empires II was already HD, any visual improvemente you hear is a placebo. Only thing they added is the online thing.ampiva
This version is basically to fix compatibility issues with modern hardware and software, sort out the online and add steam workshop support. The original didn't support widescreen resolutions either.