Anyone use Sennheiser HD598 for gaming?

#1 Posted by BSC14 (3867 posts) -

I just ordered these based off of reviews saying they are really good for gaming. Anyone have them and if so what do you think of them?

#2 Posted by Sa1nT_Ch3wy (113 posts) -

@BSC14: I have the PC360s which are basically the HD598s and I love them. They are the best headset I have ever owned. But I also use a Creative Sound Blaster Z to give me a more oomph then just on board audio. Im sure you will like them

#3 Posted by BSC14 (3867 posts) -

@Sa1nT_Ch3wy:

I also use a sound blaster z. ;)

#4 Edited by Jetsfan122 (77 posts) -

@BSC14:

I use them and they are by far the best set of headphones I've ever had. You will not be disappointed. Keep in mind , they need about a 20 hour break in period before they reach their full potential .

#5 Posted by GeezLoiuse (12 posts) -

Hmm I considered these but ended up going for the new Corsair wireless headphones.

Kind of regretting!

#6 Posted by BSC14 (3867 posts) -

@geezloiuse said:

Hmm I considered these but ended up going for the new Corsair wireless headphones.

Kind of regretting!

I understand regretting a buy...I bought 380 pros and they are good but I should have just gotten these to begin with.

#7 Posted by BSC14 (3867 posts) -

@Sa1nT_Ch3wy said:

@BSC14: I have the PC360s which are basically the HD598s and I love them. They are the best headset I have ever owned. But I also use a Creative Sound Blaster Z to give me a more oomph then just on board audio. Im sure you will like them

Do you find the "3d simulated surround sound" audio to work well with these headphones and the soundblasterz?

#8 Posted by Sa1nT_Ch3wy (113 posts) -
@BSC14 said:

@Sa1nT_Ch3wy said:

Do you find the "3d simulated surround sound" audio to work well with these headphones and the soundblasterz?

OH yes!! Without that setting turned on, the audio almost sounded 'tinny' or something. Its kind of hard to explain exactly, but it just didnt sound right at all. Once I turned that on oh boy did it make a difference!

#9 Posted by kungfool69 (2577 posts) -

i have HD 280's for video editing and gaming. Not the most amount of bass in the world, but damn realistic sound scape (plus they were less then half price due to staff discount......normally $195 RRP, sale price plus staff price made them $77). Weird that they are made in Ireland though.......

#10 Edited by silversix_ (14563 posts) -

Its what i was gonna buy but they cost more and have less sound stages the HD558's have. I bought the 558's and its the best headphones for gaming i've ever owned and by far

#11 Posted by BSC14 (3867 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

Its what i was gonna buy but they cost more and have less sound stages the HD558's have. I bought the 558's and its the best headphones for gaming i've ever owned and by far

Interesting, I'm reading that the 598s are an upgrade in almost all areas including the soundstage but that both are great.

#12 Posted by BSC14 (3867 posts) -

well I had a change of plans. Ended up with sennheiser g4me ones as they were on sale for $100 less.

#13 Edited by FelipeInside (25584 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

well I had a change of plans. Ended up with sennheiser g4me ones as they were on sale for $100 less.

You will not be dissapointed. Good choice.

#14 Edited by kraken2109 (13051 posts) -

@Jetsfan122 said:

@BSC14:

I use them and they are by far the best set of headphones I've ever had. You will not be disappointed. Keep in mind , they need about a 20 hour break in period before they reach their full potential .

Yeah... No. Burn in with headphones is BS.

#15 Edited by BSC14 (3867 posts) -

@kraken2109: @FelipeInside

I have often wondered if burn-in was nothing but you adjusting to the sound of that particular headphone.

As it turned out I did not cancel the 598s in time and they will be arriving today. I guess I will use them until I get the g4me ones and then decide what ones to send back.

#16 Edited by kraken2109 (13051 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

I have often wondered if burn-in was nothing but you adjusting to the sound of that particular headphone.

As it turned out I did not cancel the 598s in time and they will be arriving today. I guess I will use them until I get the g4me ones and then decide what ones to send back.

Let us know how they compare

#17 Posted by BSC14 (3867 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

@BSC14 said:

I will...on a side note I just saw that FRYS elec has the 598s for $149.95.....that's half of what I paid so these are going back for sure. I'll reorder them if I decide to stay with the 598s and get them to match Frys.

#18 Posted by silversix_ (14563 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

@silversix_ said:

Interesting, I'm reading that the 598s are an upgrade in almost all areas including the soundstage but that both are great.

Sennheiser themselves are telling you that the 558's are made for gamers and watching movies while the 598 are for listening music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bMjEtVf6k

#19 Edited by BSC14 (3867 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@BSC14 said:

@silversix_ said:

Sennheiser themselves are telling you that the 558's are made for gamers and watching movies while the 598 are for listening music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bMjEtVf6k

I'm just going off of what I have read. I can't say myself as I don't own both sets but it seems to be a fairly universal opinion. That said both have gotten really good reviews.

#20 Edited by silversix_ (14563 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

@silversix_ said:

@BSC14 said:

@silversix_ said:

I'm just going off of what I have read. I can't say myself as I don't own both sets but it seems to be a fairly universal opinion. That said both have gotten really good reviews.

they're both awesome but for the price and what they offer, 558's are just better for gaming. Audio Technica AD700 are another pair that are great and probably better than both Sennheisers (for gaming that is).

#21 Posted by BSC14 (3867 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@BSC14 said:

@silversix_ said:

@BSC14 said:

@silversix_ said:

they're both awesome but for the price and what they offer, 558's are just better for gaming. Audio Technica AD700 are another pair that are great and probably better than both Sennheisers (for gaming that is).

I looked at those yesterday as well but decided on Sennheisers. But I have seen a lot of people mentioning the AD700s for gaming....I don't know though. I just really have enjoyed my Sennheisers so I leaned towards those in the end.

#22 Edited by DJ_Headshot (6208 posts) -
@silversix_ said:

I would recommend against getting the AD700 it was my first higher quality pair of headphones(Hell I still own them) and it really opened my ears to a whole new world of higher quality audio with its super clear sound. But the bass roll off is a huge flaw even with the very high quality hardware Parametric EQ that KX Audio Drivers provide with my Audigy 2ZS that lets me boost insane amount without any noticeable quality lose of distortion as long as I drop the preamp to match how much I'm boosting frequencies. I can't fully correct it the bass rolloff is to severe but sounds alot better with my EQ settings.

I know you can't to expect an open ear dynamic headphone to have tons of deep sub bass but no other full sized headphones open or closes that I'm aware off has as much rolloff as the AD700. I got it to sound much better and more balanced with EQ but most people won't have access to an EQ as good or precise as the one I'm using and the stock AD700 is far to bass anemic to recommend to anyone its sound way to tinny and makes it a choice bad for very wide range of music genres and not very good outside of competitive foot step listening for gaming.

Also its has tonal balance issues outside of the deep bass response and the sound stage while very large in terms of how wide it sounds is imprecise and defuse so actually not as good for pinpointing where sounds come from as other headphones with smaller soundstages. But this I can fix this with my parametric EQ. The tonal balance is much better with the settings I'm using to smooth out peaks and valleys in the frequency response. It also had the side effect of changing the soundstage to a smaller sounding but more precise one but still not super precise.

And while not headphones I can personally recommend the Audio Technica CKM500 if someone is looking for something relatively cheap and and good for gaming and music. I swapped out the stock tips for sony hybrids and sounded great to me surprisingly large sound stage considering its an iem and alot of precision to it. Good amount of bass even at stock and very nice treble not the most neutral sounding but the sound really grew on me over timeand enjoyed using them alot was a sad day when my pair broke.

I'm thinking of buying one of new Audio Technica IEM specifically the dual driver IM50 have heard its an upgrade to the older CKM500 and doesn't cost much more then the CKM500 so this would be the pair to get for those interested have not heard them though but something even better sounding then the CKM500 for only $60 I don't see how you could be disappointed.

#23 Edited by BSC14 (3867 posts) -

I'm just not sold on these 598s to be honest...they are better than my 380 pros but not for what I spent on them.

I'm very curious to see how the g4mer ones compare.

#24 Edited by kweeni (10912 posts) -

Can't comment on the Sennheiser but I just got the AKG K612 pro a few days ago and they're really amazing. They're my first "real" headphones and I was completely blown away when I put them on and listerned to a song. For games I've only used them for Battlefield 3, Planetside 2, and The Witcher so far and they work great. I heard that these headphones really benefit from an amp though so I'll get one later down the road when I save up a little more money(kinda broke right now lol).

But before picking the AKG I was considering the HD558 as I heard many say that they're really good and the HD598 are supposed to be a level above those so I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get them.

#25 Edited by kraken2109 (13051 posts) -

@kweeni said:

Can't comment on the Sennheiser but I just got the AKG K612 pro a few days ago and they're really amazing. They're my first "real" headphones and I was completely blown away when I put them on and listerned to a song. For games I've only used them for Battlefield 3, Planetside 2, and The Witcher so far and they work great. I heard that these headphones really benefit from an amp though so I'll get one later down the road when I save up a little more money(kinda broke right now lol).

But before picking the AKG I was considering the HD558 as I heard many say that they're really good and the HD598 are supposed to be a level above those so I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get them.

I also have the K612pro, they're are definitely better than the 558 and 598.

#26 Posted by BSC14 (3867 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

@kweeni said:

I also have the K612pro, they're are definitely better than the 558 and 598.

Well my 598s are being shipped back today. I don't want to say they are overrated because they are really good imo but they just are not what I'm looking for. I found that the bass was a bit too light...and yes I know that is fairly common with open back cans but still they seem a tad too light for my liking...and I'm not a bass head at all. Problem is in games like BF4, the explosions were just...lacking. Even after adjusting the eq it just never felt right to me.

I'm really curious to see how the g4me One compare...those will be at my house today supposedly.

#27 Posted by suacide88 (90 posts) -

i just started using the hd 280 pro because i found them at my local goodwill for $3 and theyre really good in my opinion,

#28 Edited by BSC14 (3867 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

@BSC14 said:

Well after the weekend I have a pretty decent feel for the two now.

The 598s are much more clinical sounding if you know what I mean. Everything is very clear and very sharp sounding but it's also like I said more...I don't know, harsh sounding maybe? Also the bass is lacking a bit in these. They look decent enough and the build quality is decent but there was just something I did not like about them.

The G4me Ones though I really love. They are not as sharp sounding but they do have a warm sound to them...much more relaxed sound. The overall sound quality is really good and the sound stage is really good....much better than my 380pros for sure. In fact I would say the overall SQ is better than the 380pros. The mic works really well and sounds great overall. Love the look of these too...really cool. And the build quality and comfort are top notch. Oh and one bad thing is that the bass can get a bit muddy or distorted at times....not terrible but could be better.

If I could mix the two it would be perfect...the comfort, look and build quality of the Ones and the SQ somewhere in the middle between the two would be perfect.

Overall I just prefer the G4me Ones which kind of surprised me because they are made for gaming...maybe that stigma that comes with gaming sets will change.

#29 Edited by kraken2109 (13051 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

Overall I just prefer the G4me Ones which kind of surprised me because they are made for gaming...maybe that stigma that comes with gaming sets will change.

Well the complaints are normally about headset from companies that aren't audio focused.

#30 Posted by BSC14 (3867 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

@BSC14 said:

Well the complaints are normally about headset from companies that aren't audio focused.

True.

Only thing that bugs me about the Ones is the bass....it has plenty of it which is nice but the distortion is annoying. I might be able to tone it down a bit with the equalizer but I would have to try and find that happy medium between enough bass and distorted bass,

#31 Edited by quakke (190 posts) -

Nope. Though i do have my spare HD 595 that were my previous HIFI needs headphones.