Anyone recommend any Metroidvania games for the PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dommeus (9060 posts) -

Speaks for itself, I guess. I have Rogue Legacy, but the randomised nature of the castle, and the fact you lose all your gold when you die, are starting to grate on me.

#2 Edited by Planeforger (15391 posts) -

Both Aquaria and Dust: An Elysian Tale are excellent, and neither have the roguelike elements of Rogue Legacy.

What else...uh...I've heard great things about Guacamelee and Valdis Story, but I haven't played either yet.

Oh, and people seem to love Cave Story+ and Unepic?

#3 Edited by MonsieurX (28410 posts) -

Both Aquaria and Dust: An Elysian Tale are excellent, and neither have the roguelike elements of Rogue Legacy.

What else...uh...I've heard great things about Guacamelee and Valdis Story, but I haven't played either yet.

Oh, and people seem to love Cave Story+ and Unepic?

+1 for Cave Story +,amazing game

#4 Edited by PredatorRules (6998 posts) -

I currently play SteamWorld Dig - pretty good one TBH. you don't loose that much

#5 Posted by Falconoffury (1717 posts) -

La Mulana - You are a guy like Indiana Jones, exploring places, killing enemies. No randomly generated areas.

#6 Edited by HowlingLotus (383 posts) -

Chasm.

http://www.chasmgame.com

It isn't out until May 2014 (hopefully no later), but it looks promising.

For games currently released I agree with Cave Story+ and La Mulana as others have said.

#7 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

Volgarr: The Viking. I've played Dust: Elysian Tale and it's not much a Metroidvania game. Go with Volgarr.. game kicks ass.

#8 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13680 posts) -

Dust: An Elysian Tale.

#9 Posted by the_bi99man (11022 posts) -

Okay. After reading the posts in this thread, I've realized that I must have no idea what "Metroidvania" means.

#10 Edited by HowlingLotus (383 posts) -

Okay. After reading the posts in this thread, I've realized that I must have no idea what "Metroidvania" means.

I view Metroidvania style games as ones that are 2D Action-RPG Platformers (procedurally generated maps) with a heavy focus on collecting (weapons, skills, etc)/backtracking.