Anyone in the Company of Heroes 2 closed beta?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by with_teeth26 (6227 posts) -

So apparently people who pre-ordered Company of Heroes 2 will be granted access to the closed beta today. Will anyone be trying it out? 

I'd be surprised if many people pre-ordered the game given the circus of publishers. 

#2 Posted by Lach0121 (9890 posts) -

I am getting it, but after launch, I won't pre-order it.

I just hope it doesn't bomb, which is one reason I am waiting a week, or two after launch.

#3 Posted by Swiftstrike5 (6950 posts) -
I believe I read somewhere that they intend to release closed beta keys to non-preorders the week following the start of the closed beta?
#4 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Nope, won't pre-order for such a thing, sale in a few years, CoH 1 was fun in theory, but I didn't spend more than 6 hours on all 3 games in total, if there'll be an open limited beta I might try it, it's the only thing that'd change my plan.
#5 Posted by with_teeth26 (6227 posts) -

I believe I read somewhere that they intend to release closed beta keys to non-preorders the week following the start of the closed beta?Swiftstrike5

Cool, I might look into that and see If I can get hold of a key. 

#6 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5896 posts) -

So apparently people who pre-ordered Company of Heroes 2 will be granted access to the closed beta today. Will anyone be trying it out? 

I'd be surprised if many people pre-ordered the game given the circus of publishers. 

with_teeth26

I figured you would have pre-ordered. :P

#7 Posted by Swiftstrike5 (6950 posts) -

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]I believe I read somewhere that they intend to release closed beta keys to non-preorders the week following the start of the closed beta?with_teeth26

Cool, I might look into that and see If I can get hold of a key. 

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/03/28/company-of-heroes-2-closed-beta-begins-next-week/ "This first phase of the closed beta will be open to pre-order customers only. There will be a second phase in the coming weeks where a wider audience will get a chance to take part. For more information keep watching http://www.companyofheroes.com."
#8 Posted by kozzy1234 (35266 posts) -

Dang, wish I was in it, let us know how it is!

#9 Posted by ShadowJax04 (3347 posts) -

I'm in. CoH was great and Relic has steam rolled strategy games since 1999 IMO. (edit: looking at you Homeworld, Warhammer franchises)

#10 Posted by wis3boi (31591 posts) -

I am eagerly awaiting the game, will most likely pick it up, but I need to see more concrete gameplay of it first.

#11 Posted by with_teeth26 (6227 posts) -

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

Cwagmire21

I figured you would have pre-ordered. :P

whatever would give you such a crazy idea! 

#12 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18414 posts) -
I'll be picking it up. I actually was lucky enough to play the game last year for a few hours. It was amazing. I'm not in the closed beta, I'd love to be able to play more but I can wait until the game is released. Hopefully it'll run on my PC.
#13 Posted by with_teeth26 (6227 posts) -

I'll be picking it up. I actually was lucky enough to play the game last year for a few hours. It was amazing. I'm not in the closed beta, I'd love to be able to play more but I can wait until the game is released. Hopefully it'll run on my PC.Rattlesnake_8

Yea I played it in December when it was in Alpha, I was under a NDA so I couldn't talk much about it, but it was very good if not a bit too similar to the first one. It felt like it had a long way to go though so I'm glad Sega is giving Relic the extra time to polish it. 

#14 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -
Relic sure knows how to make a cinematic-driven strategy game that casual gamers will eat right up.
#15 Posted by wis3boi (31591 posts) -

Relic sure knows how to make a cinematic-driven strategy game that casual gamers will eat right up.SKaREO

go away, no one cares

#16 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]Relic sure knows how to make a cinematic-driven strategy game that casual gamers will eat right up.wis3boi

go away, no one cares

And who are you to me? Some random on the internet? I'm not here to impress you peon.
#17 Posted by wis3boi (31591 posts) -

Got a key off Facebook, game is incredible and really fun. 

#18 Posted by gunmaster55555 (707 posts) -
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]Relic sure knows how to make a cinematic-driven strategy game that casual gamers will eat right up.SKaREO

go away, no one cares

And who are you to me? Some random on the internet? I'm not here to impress you peon.

Who are you? Another random on the internet? Get out moron.
#19 Posted by Cyberdot (3539 posts) -

I'm in.

I'm treating it like a demo; if I enjoy it, I might consider buying it. Never played this franchise before.

#20 Posted by with_teeth26 (6227 posts) -

I'm in.

I'm treating it like a demo; if I enjoy it, I might consider buying it. Never played this franchise before.

Cyberdot

Fair enough, just realize that it isn't a finished product and potential bugs could be ironed out by launch. Hope you enjoy it, its a great franchise. 

#21 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3549 posts) -
Alright. Im in it but I dont know the terms of use. Am I allowed to talk about it or show screens or anything like that? So far its got quite a few differences from the first game and Im not sure if Im really positive on all of them or on the gameplay itself. Hotkeys a tad easier but a lot of things need some getting used to. The graphics are meh. Not much better than the first. Theres only a small increase in detail but I know that a lot of games keep the settings lower while in beta. Screens of the game point to the game being not as visually upgraded though. As I play Ill articulate a more comprehensive impression. Im not totally blown away right now but Im hoping getting used to the game will make it more fun.
#22 Posted by with_teeth26 (6227 posts) -

I played a couple of Skirmishes against the AI, the game definitely looks better than it did in Alpha, but they really need to find a better kind of anti-alaising. The current version is terrible and alaising is everywhere. 

They have made it more similar to the original game compared to the alpha but I think its also better. Mortars are absolutely ridiculous and need a nerf but apart from that I really enjoyed the two games I played. Definitely a conservative sequel but its still a lot of fun. 

#23 Posted by wis3boi (31591 posts) -

I played a couple of Skirmishes against the AI, the game definitely looks better than it did in Alpha, but they really need to find a better kind of anti-alaising. The current version is terrible and alaising is everywhere. 

They have made it more similar to the original game compared to the alpha but I think its also better. Mortars are absolutely ridiculous and need a nerf but apart from that I really enjoyed the two games I played. Definitely a conservative sequel but its still a lot of fun. 

with_teeth26

I lose a lot of my AI matches, but I've done about 10 rounds so far, it's the only game ive played all day, and Im in love.

#25 Posted by with_teeth26 (6227 posts) -

Just a heads up, 

There IS a NDA for the beta 

I doubt they will enforce it but people probably shouldn't post screenshots and stuff here 

#26 Posted by Lach0121 (9890 posts) -

I don't mind if it don't look a whole lot better than CoH 1. However I do want it to be more optimized. 

Decent quad core cpu support is really the main thing, I hope it has it, any game in 2013 (especially an RTS) that doesn't have decent quad support is just plain lazy and ridiculous.

#27 Posted by mhofever (3954 posts) -

Had a few rounds last night. I get my a$$ handed to me by the AI in Standard difficulty. I am a disgrace to the Motherland.

Sound has vastly improved, like someone said, it's got that DICE Battlefield sound quality to it.

#28 Posted by Lach0121 (9890 posts) -

Had a few rounds last night. I get my a$$ handed to me by the AI in Standard difficulty. I am a disgrace to the Motherland.

Sound has vastly improved, like someone said, it's got that DICE Battlefield sound quality to it.

mhofever

Actually when CoH first released, it had some incredible sounds for a video game!

I am actually glad they improved even more on it.

#29 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

I don't mind if it don't look a whole lot better than CoH 1. However I do want it to be more optimized. 

Decent quad core cpu support is really the main thing, I hope it has it, any game in 2013 (especially an RTS) that doesn't have decent quad support is just plain lazy and ridiculous.

Lach0121
It works great (just a Q6600 here), but it still has critical bugs, I only managed to play a single match before uninstalling, it locked the GPU at 80% usage and that made the fan run at 70% due to EVGA Precision (GTX 670), was the same after I closed the game, Steam stopped responding, didn't stop till I did a reset, reported and uninstalled. Don't know who is to blame, Nvidia for drivers or Relic, but I'm not gonna risk more trials, SC 2 also had such a bug at first on a certain Nvidia driver, but even that never went past the game itself.
#30 Posted by Lach0121 (9890 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

DanielDust

It works great (just a Q6600 here), but it still has critical bugs, I only managed to play a single match before uninstalling, it locked the GPU at 80% usage and that made the fan run at 70% due to EVGA Precision (GTX 670), was the same after I closed the game, Steam stopped responding, didn't stop till I did a reset, reported and uninstalled. Don't know who is to blame, Nvidia for drivers or Relic, but I'm not gonna risk more trials, SC 2 also had such a bug at first on a certain Nvidia driver, but even that never went past the game itself.

Well, that is good news for the quad support.

Bad news on the bugs, but I am happy you reported it, at least they are aware of it now.

I agree with you I don't due trials, or betas (very few exceptions) because I do more on my computer than just game. So I don't want to take the chance on issues arising. I prefer final releases, with the least amount of bugs as possible. 

#31 Posted by with_teeth26 (6227 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

DanielDust

I played a few games yesterday and never had this issue. I noticed my frame rate (with a 2500k and GTX670) was very high at around 200 at the start of the game when not much was happening but had dropped to about 50 near the end of the match when crazyness was breaking loose. Still runs pretty well overall, although I fear online matches will be laggy as people with crappy computers play them. 

#32 Posted by Lach0121 (9890 posts) -

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="Lach0121"]

with_teeth26

I played a few games yesterday and never had this issue. I noticed my frame rate (with a 2500k and GTX670) was very high at around 200 at the start of the game when not much was happening but had dropped to about 50 near the end of the match when crazyness was breaking loose. Still runs pretty well overall, although I fear online matches will be laggy as people with crappy computers play them. 

Thats not bad, and they still got a bit of polishing to go. Not to mention after launch patches, and drivers.

I know even with a phenom II quad at 3ghz, and a gtx 570, the framerate on the original CoH would chug when making the camera horizontal across the battlefield, and even more so if there was a lot of action. 

I would be happy if my minimum framerate was 30fps maxed out at 1080p. 

My pc is far from crappy, even though it is over 4 and a half years old. (with upgrades)  So if you get in a match with me it shouldn't be too bad ;)

#33 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3549 posts) -
Err...well thats lame. Didnt want NDA but whatever. I dont know what we can or cannot discuss but they say we should use the betas forums. Cya :P. lol.
#34 Posted by wis3boi (31591 posts) -

Played a few rounds with lawlessx last night, got our asses kicked hard three times beofre finally having a winning match.  Ran great

#35 Posted by kozzy1234 (35266 posts) -

No performance issues here either, runs better then the first one did.

#36 Posted by lawlessx (46854 posts) -

Played a few rounds with lawlessx last night, got our asses kicked hard three times beofre finally having a winning match.  Ran great

wis3boi

it feels that the A.I is able to push out troops at a much faster rate.And as someone already stated the mortars need to be nerfed badly

#37 Posted by with_teeth26 (6227 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

lawlessx

it feels that the A.I is able to push out troops at a much faster rate.And as someone already stated the mortars need to be nerfed badly

Yea its a bit ridiculous, me and a friend played a couple games against AI last night and our first game ended in about 10 minutes with mortars raining down on our bases.

Next game we shifted our strategy to building our own mortars, and after 10 minutes of mortar wars the AI switched to pumping out anti-tank guns which were much easier to deal with. We still lost but it was a much closer game. 

I only managed to beat the normal AI when I did a 2v2 with a normal AI team-mate. 

#38 Posted by wis3boi (31591 posts) -

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

with_teeth26

Yea its a bit ridiculous, me and a friend played a couple games against AI last night and our first game ended in about 10 minutes with mortars raining down on our bases.

Next game we shifted our strategy to building our own mortars, and after 10 minutes of mortar wars the AI switched to pumping out anti-tank guns which were much easier to deal with. We still lost but it was a much closer game. 

I only managed to beat the normal AI when I did a 2v2 with a normal AI team-mate. 

Overall I think the AI is a hell of a lot better than CoH 1's. It makes much better combat decisions. They just need to stop spamming mortars or AT guns and build a more broad army.