Anyone else disappointed with the steam summer sale?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxchadxxchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xxchadxxchad
Member since 2008 • 199 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I'm not entirely disappointed with it, I still bought quite a few games. It's just that it felt like last year there were a lot better deals and the same games didn't come on sale so often? Could just be me but what do you think? Ecstatic? Content? Disappointed?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Disappointed with games that are up to 90% off, usually 50%- 75% what is there to be disappointed about? Saving money on games is saving money on games. Steam doesn't have to do a sale every summer but they do. I for one have picked up many great indie games for cheap.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Nope, very happy with it!

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I own most of the games already. It's my fault really. I'm glad I got Remember Me for cheap though. I always wanted that game.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#5 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

its been pretty standard, I have most of the games I want and the ones I have been hoping for a sale on came out so recently that I'm not surprised the discounts have been shallow.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I have picked up a few games, it has been a standard sale for me.

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

The sale is the same quality every year. You just bought all of the games you wanted in the past sales and not many new games you want have come out in between.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I only bought skyrim and ff7.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@MacBoomStick said:

The sale is the same quality every year. You just bought all of the games you wanted in the past sales and not many new games you want have come out in between.

this

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

It's okay, I just wish Asseto Corsa was a bit cheaper & would like to see Rise of Nations.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#11 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

The people who are most disappointed either own everything already or dont play smaller indie games.

Other than that, the community choice kinda blows. Too many games I wanted didnt get voted on. But I wont mind buying them at the end of this sale.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I've not got anything yet. Thinking of grabbing the Season Pass for Bioshock Infinite and getting Company of Heroes 2 though. I do want Banner Saga and South park eventually but I think I'll wait for even cheaper prices as they aren't on the top of my list and I have a big back log already.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

Both... Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good sales, but I ahve most of the games I want to play already... Might buy Dragon Age Origins if it gets 75% or more off.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@ferrari2001:

I think one of the issues this year is that more and more games are being RRP's at £40, so even a 50% price cut doesn't seem that significant.

Though I haven't been able to afford any games so far, I was hoping to pick up Divinity and Wasteland 2, but they are still over £25. South Park was just under £25 as well. Dunno if Wolfenstein has gone on sale yet, but I suspect it won't be below £25.

In years past, an employed me would have picked all these games up. A poor, recent post-grad can barely afford to buy bread let alone PC games

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@xxchadxxchad said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not entirely disappointed with it, I still bought quite a few games. It's just that it felt like last year there were a lot better deals and the same games didn't come on sale so often? Could just be me but what do you think? Ecstatic? Content? Disappointed?

Happy, Ive bought 3 games so far

Final Fantasy VII

Nether

Splinter Cell Blacklist

Still less than £10 spend

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I was thinking about Nether for 3$ but then again I thought this game would never be finished just like other survival games so I saved my money

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@insane_metalist said:

I just wish Asseto Corsa was a bit cheaper

This^

But I think it's inevitable that these sales "seem" to get worse each year as we all buy more and more games, and it's not really Valve's fault but there only so many things you can discount and so many times you can do it.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#18  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1175 Posts

No, I'm pretty ecstatic. The sale is about the same quality as last year, but I made it better for myself by picking up some great games.

Sleeping Dogs 3.99. Awesome game. Although crashed on me once hope that doesn't continue.

Dirt 3, 6.49. Awesome game.

I have only about 1.5 hours with each, but that is my early impression.

Prize giveaway is pretty fun.

I got what I wanted so I'm happy. Also picked up some Rome II DLC.

Rome II for 20.97, and Tomb Raider for 4.99 I believe, were also good deals. Maybe Hearts of Iron III will be 2.49 again but I already have that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

Been on steam for near enough 10 years and this sale seems like pretty standard stuff. In fact, I've seen a few titles sitting at 80-85% off which is fairly rare.

Perhaps you guys are just getting use to it to sales now that they are numbing?

lionheart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lionheart22
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts

Not really because I don't buy many new games anymore. 35 games in 10 years of steam I'm happy with that amount of spending.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

The first sale is always the best one, because that is when you dont own most games, after that though, each following sale seems to be getting worse and worse because your library gets deeper and deeper and you own more and more of the games listed.

That said, I prefer this summer sale over the last one.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#22  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Been on steam for near enough 10 years and this sale seems like pretty standard stuff. In fact, I've seen a few titles sitting at 80-85% off which is fairly rare.

Perhaps you guys are just getting use to it to sales now that they are numbing?

I think it's also the case that there is just alot more competition to Steam now.

The Steam Sale landed hot off the heels of an impressive Humble Store sale, which offered similar discounts to indie games similar to what Steam is offering - despite how random the flash sales were and there was a great Amazon sale that covered alot of AAA games a week after the Humble Store sale. Green Man Gaming had one too, But many found that one disappointing as only select publishers contributed. The GMG sale did seem appealing to Europe and Australians due to the fair price localization.

There is also a GoG sale ongoing now that are giving away free games. But I personally dont use GoG as they are behind in terms of indie games and their game display is silly. I do love GoG's downloadable soundtracks that come with most games, though.

The Steam Sale for me this time around was mostly a sale where I bought DLC for games I already own.

The Steam Sale hasnt really changed at all, other than people going nuts over the metagame, which to be frank, is good. I can just make some extra steam credit as the returns for crafting event badges isnt all that good.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

Console gamers would probably kill for the level of sales we get.

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

Not very happy with some games' prices with the discounts but that's because they are overpriced for their age to begin with. It kinda reminds me of M$'s pricing model from some time ago with GFWL ... or ActiVision (forgot how to spell those sharks' home) with the CoD series ... pathetic and disgusting.

EDIT: Forgot to also mention that this whole "teams" is a bunch of nonsense ... red team will win every day till the end of the sale and get their bonus games from wishlist or whatever ... Valve fucked up yet another summer sale with some card-related nonsense ... someone tell Gabe that the only cards that people care about are from actual CCG ... not the bullshit they've been pouring in and flooding the users' inventories.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@insane_metalist said:

It's okay, I just wish Asseto Corsa was a bit cheaper & would like to see Rise of Nations.

Oh no they didn't!

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Nope, it's been pretty good so far. You probably already have all the games you want.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I was until yesterday with great sales like Dishonored, Resident Evil 4, Civ 5, and Europa Universalis 4... The only thing I don't freaking get is every capcom game has been on sale.. EXCEPT for Resident Evil 5 and Dead Rising 2.. I don't get it.. I think it was like this as well for the last steam sale.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Already spent around $200, picked up a lot of games I had been wanting for a while. Great so far for me.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

yeah maybe a bit.... but that could be due to the fact that I bought so much last sale. Everything I've though about buying this sale I have talked myself out of, except for the Spiderweb Software pack. Wooo! Most of the other big sale items I either already own or don't want enough. I haven't broke $20 yet.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#30 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

@horgen said:

Both... Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good sales, but I ahve most of the games I want to play already... Might buy Dragon Age Origins if it gets 75% or more off.

Its only $10. That's a ridiculously good price for a game that is going to last you 30 hours +

I would buy it now.

Avatar image for gogoplexiorayo2
Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31 Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

I only bought two games in the sale. Im trying to leave last gen games behind and now fully focus on next gen games (still waiting for that game which will make my 780 ti cry)

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

It's about time this thread showed up. Someone makes the same post every time we get a sale.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Honestly, most of the games I want to play are already in my library and I haven't gotten around to them yet, but I was able to pick up a couple of fun multiplayer games for dirt cheap. I bought both Payday's and Battleblock Theater. Having a blast playing them with my buds.

awi5951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By awi5951
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

@xxchadxxchad: Not me INSURGENCY made the whole sale worth it best shooter in the last 10 years. I picked this game up on steam sale and i have to say it brings the old fear i had in hardcore shooters that i haven't felt since rainbow 6 three and ghost recon 2. This is what a shooter should be not holding down the button and spaying your way to victory. This game is like the old shooter you better aim and you better use careful burst fire or you are dead. I love having to go back to the days where you and your team had to carefully clear the room or area because you don't have time to turn around and spray and still win. In this game 1 or 3 shots and your dead, you're out say good night. You can respawn if your alive teammates capture a point( suck on that snipers you have to play the objective for once). Great game a huge and beautiful throwback to the great shooters and i have put Call of duty and Battlefield 4 down for a good long time because of it. And you can buy this game on steam for 10 dollars you cant beat that.