Any other games like Dishonored?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowRun02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ShadowRun02
Member since 2012 • 72 Posts

i finished the game's story mode with both nonelithal and not detected marks, and i don't feel any urge to do it again guns blazing, just asking - are there any other games like this that give you some "play your way" feel?

(i loved the first part of crysis, where it was a fairly open world and you fought against humans, but the alien part was just too linear and it ruined the game for me, and don't give me the thief series, it's not real freedom and it's too old for me to get into)

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

The Deus Ex games? Did you play the latest one, Human Revolution, yet? Very similar gameplay style.

scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts
Not real similar but the Hitman series does really let you do whatever you want in each mission.
rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

Deus EX is the first game that comes in my mind...
Splinter Cell series could be an alternative...

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#5 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Hitman : Blood Money is what you definitely want. You can kill your target in any fashion, there are different ways to get around areas.

Human Revolution is also really good, you can choose what skills you want to focus on and that affects the way you infiltrate or get past around areas, i.e if you focus skill points on strength, you'll be able to move heavy objects out of the way to reveal vents, which makes it easier for you to sneak around while if you focus on hacking, you can bypass doors easily instead.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Deus Ex, tho be sure to add all the mods from my signature for great looking graphics, gameplay modifications, much better AI, etc. It's worth it.

Then, you should go with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which is also a great game.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
thief series might be a good thing to check. dishonored is essentially thief-lite with magic powers. the games might be a bit on the dated side though, but they're often on sale on steam. thief 4 is supposedly in development forever now.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Metal Gear Solid games allow a variety of mission approaches using both lethal and non lethal methods. Ofcourse the core gameplay and setting are quite different. But you can use vent shafts, guns, melee and choking techniques, all kinds of stealth and non stealth paths really.

And ofcourse Deus Ex HR.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#9 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the likely choice.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
thief 3 . It still looks good if you install the high res mod.
D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Fallout New Vegas.

Alpha Protocol.

Dark Messiah: Might and Magic? Probably has similar gameplay since its from the same devs.

I havnt played Dishonoured but ive followed it closely.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#12 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Thief never promises freedom. Its strict in its one playing styIe and that's why its brilliant. Its focused. I'd suggesting picking up the Bioshock games.
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
Google search "looking glass studios" "ION Storm" or "Harvey Smith" and you'll get some good games.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
Thief never promises freedom. Its strict in its one playing styIe and that's why its brilliant. Its focused. I'd suggesting picking up the Bioshock games. biggest_loser
but the level design is open. dishonored is in the same fashion. you have an objective, and you do it, but there are plenty of paths around to those objectives.
G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

The obvious ones have been mentioned, so I'll throw in Mark of the Ninja. It's in 2D, but it is a pure stealth game.

Also check out The Dark Mod. It was originally a Doom 3 mod but it is now standalone. It's more or less Thief in the Doom 3 engine with a lot of user made missions.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

It's a brand of game pioneered by Looking Glass Studios, often referred to as an 'immersive sim', for a bit of extra info.

Try out System Shock 2 or System Shock if you want to step back further, like it or not the Thief games, Deus Ex and its sequels, STALKER can be said to fall into this category, as you mentioned Crysis has its marks, so does Operation Flashpoint and the ArmA series, Far Cry 1 and 2, the Hitman games are a good suggestion too (Blood Money by far is the better one), and these days it also does intersect with games like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, Alpha Protocol, and Fallout 3 and New Vegas (the later is far superior).

edit* Oh yeah there's a few smaller games too. E.Y.E. for instance is a good one.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Fallout New Vegas. I havnt played Dishonoured but ive followed it closely.D1zzyCriminal

This. I review Fallout New Vegas under my gamespot profile if you'd like to check it out.

Deus Ex: HR meticulously and dynamically integrates the environment with all of your selected ability choices making the game mechanics part of your personal journey. Just as amazing, the other parts of the game -- graphics, story, atmosphere -- are NOT compromised even with all the love and attention put into the interplay of your abilities with the environment.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#18 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Hitman: Absolution is coming out soon. It looks like it'll have exactly what you're looking for and then some.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

thief 3 . It still looks good if you install the high res mod.bonafidetk

Glad I'm not the only person that gets the Thief similarity :)

Thief isn't as sand boxy as Dishonored and getting caught by the guards is a lot more dangerous but the worlds are most definately very similar. Both have the steapunk theme going.

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

(i loved the first part of crysis, where it was a fairly open world and you fought against humans, but the alien part was just too linear and it ruined the game for me, and don't give me the thief series, it's not real freedom and it's too old for me to get into)

ShadowRun02

Crysis: Warhead might be a bit more open to your own pacing than Crysis, if you haven't played that one.

I guess there's a couple boss fights where you have to fight, but that might be about it.
When you're paired with AI characters, you can usually go and do your own thing and they'll be fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

i finished the game's story mode with both nonelithal and not detected marks, and i don't feel any urge to do it again guns blazing, just asking - are there any other games like this that give you some "play your way" feel?

ShadowRun02

Since Thief is too old for you check out the Dark Mod for Doom 3, some guys remade the Thief style of game in that engine and it looks amazing plus has a crap ton of custom content to play through.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

Games with inconsequential, contrived, poorly-implemented psuedo-freedom, with no quality or intelligence? Deus Ex is right up your alley.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

Games with inconsequential, contrived, poorly-implemented psuedo-freedom, with no quality or intelligence? Deus Ex is right up your alley.

Socijalisticka
>quality or intelligence >painkiller >lmao
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

kdawg88

>quality or intelligence >painkiller >lmao

Painkiller has no need to paint itself in an elaborate system for the sole purpose of enveloping any inadequacies. It functions marvelously in its simplicity, and that is atleast more reasonable, if not more intelligent. I don't consider consequenceless character progression and pampering of the player at every step as intelligent game design.

ShadowRun02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ShadowRun02
Member since 2012 • 72 Posts

thank you all -

i loved the concept of EYE, but the AI is so bad...

ill try hitman blood money, it looks promising.

many of you mentioned splinter cell, which one of them is the best? (i played conviction and it was nice, but not amazing)

Deus Ex:Human revolution sounds nice, although i don't think i can go back to the first deus ex.

and i really wonder when will they release thief 4...

actually, a game that none of you mentioned was commandos 3. (i know it's not open like dishonored and it's a top down view, but iabsolutelyloved it!)

and mark of the ninja is nice, but somehow unsatisfying

jrorl63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jrorl63
Member since 2003 • 723 Posts
Not real similar but the Hitman series does really let you do whatever you want in each mission. scotty992
And absolution comes out in just over a week
Jadian3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jadian3
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hi friend I am very interesting to play video games. But i don't like shooting and car race. Any one can tell me best games other than that two. http://infiniteparties.com/decoration-ideas
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

thank you all -

i

many of you mentioned splinter cell, which one of them is the best? (i played conviction and it was nice, but not amazing)

ShadowRun02

Chaos Theory is the best Splinter Cell. And stop being such a graphics ***** if you want to experience the best games out there.

There's been a recent huge update for Thief 2 and System Shock 2, btw. These patches don't just make the game playable on modern systems or upgrade the textures, models, etc. but they massively improve on the original engines and renderers, also making it possible to have much larger levels too.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/26/hooray-system-shock-2-thief-2-get-usability-patches/

Anyone that's not aware, there's a bunch of really good fan made missions for Thief, like A Night in Rocksbourg, Hammerite Imperium: Seven Shades of Mercury, Disorientation and The Sun Within & The Sun Without, which come highly recommended.

http://thiefmissions.com/search.cgi?search=&sort=release#m

http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/fmarchive.htm

These are the 2 go to sites for each game, btw.

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php and http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forum.php

Hitman 2 Silent Assassan and Blood Money were the best from that series and No One Lives Forever and The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay were good games with stealt elements too. Also Manhunt.

EddyGamerLP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EddyGamerLP
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Abduction is a project in development that looks promising. Check this out: http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=308&t=100547
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Everything that I would suggest has already been mentioned. Dishonored is essentially a cross between Thief and Hitman, so whether or not you think the Thief series is too old for you those are your best bet. They mirror Dishonor in their basic gameplay structure in that they are mission-based where each mission is a mini-sandbox where there are many ways to accomplish your goal(s).

Next closest would be something like Alpha Protocol. This was a sleeper but in spite of the lack of attention and mediocre reviews it's actually an awesome game. Not a perfect game by any stretch but deceptively complex. Once you get past the intro mission you can choose where you go and the order in which you complete each city affects how the story plays out and which characters you meet and when. There's a cool "influence" system where NPCs will like or dislike you based on actions and dialog choices, but it applies to both friends and enemies and there are different ways to play it. Make an enemy hate you enough and he might do something stupid that gives you an edge. Where this game differs most is a heavier emphasis on character building and the multiple "paths" you can take are often determined by your character's skills.

All the games after that I can think of are non-linear open world RPGs like Vampire: Bloodlines, Fallout series, Elder Scrolls series, etc. These are also great, but again the emphasis is more on character building so your paths will be determined by how you spent your skill points as much as by your in-game choices.

-Byshop