Any open world games with realistic combat?

#1 Posted by Erratic_Knight (160 posts) -

Looking for an open world game that has realistic/lethal combat. In other words a person dies after getting hit by a bullet or 2 (depending on placement), or a few slashes of a sword/weapon. (preferably something other than just you standard multiplayer FPS).

I've always wanted a game that emphasizes tactics and a slower pace to land a strike/shot, instead too many games let me get shot 50 times, whacked 100 times.

I just want a realistic combat system whether it's modern day/fantasy setting etc. Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23478 posts) -

I mean you didn't say video game...

#3 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10624 posts) -

Try Americas Army, its not open wold though

and maybe Arma.

#4 Edited by PredatorRules (7595 posts) -

Looking for an open world game that has realistic/lethal combat. In other words a person dies after getting hit by a bullet or 2 (depending on placement), or a few slashes of a sword/weapon. (preferably something other than just you standard multiplayer FPS).

I've always wanted a game that emphasizes tactics and a slower pace to land a strike/shot, instead too many games let me get shot 50 times, whacked 100 times.

I just want a realistic combat system whether it's modern day/fantasy setting etc. Thanks in advance.

Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 got realistic bullet impact IMO, you actually die by a bullet or two.

#6 Posted by Horgen (110078 posts) -
#7 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15942 posts) -

I know in ARMA 2, you can sprain a leg if you jump off the roof of a hut. Once you sprain a leg, it's there for the rest of the mission and will only get worse from that point.

In the real world, assault rifles are quite lethal which is why combat takes place at long distances. Sometimes, you can't even see who's shooting at you. That's reflected in ARMA 2 as well.

That's why I find the first level of KZ2 amusing. Lots of shooting at pointblank range and not hitting anyone.

#8 Posted by Arthas045 (5100 posts) -

I would think Arma 3 should be something to check into.

#9 Posted by blangenakker (2254 posts) -

The only game you're gonna get that in is the ARMA series.

#10 Edited by Behardy24 (3302 posts) -

The S.T.A.K.L.E.R series.

#11 Edited by Neonakaa (78 posts) -

Go look up Mount & Blade. Open world and has awesome sword/bow/horseriding combat. Its the one game where you can throw rocks at people to kill them!

#12 Edited by Neonakaa (78 posts) -

GAAH, I forgot Chivalry, though not openworld is very fun!

#13 Edited by quikdash6 (419 posts) -

Check out dslyecxi on YouTube. He's part of a ARMA comunity and has a range of videos on ARMA 2 and ARMA 3.

#14 Edited by FragSponge (194 posts) -

Arma 2 & 3

Dayz

Insurgency (not open world like arma)

#15 Edited by _SKatEDiRt_ (2570 posts) -

@Erratic_Knight said:

Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 got realistic bullet impact IMO, you actually die by a bullet or two.

I agree with this. I have put 13 hours in the past few days and Im hooked. great game,

#16 Posted by KHAndAnime (13518 posts) -

DayZ, ArmA Series, Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm, SWAT 4

Surely I'm missing some good ones.

#17 Edited by dethtrain (386 posts) -

bushido blade :D

#18 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15942 posts) -

If you can stand the dated graphics, The original Ghost Recon was pretty good. At least I thought it was.

#19 Edited by Blutfahne (272 posts) -

Hitman Blood Money