RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

I have been looking around and I found that even the i7 4980hq is only a 4 core CPU. What laptop would I have to go with to get a CPU with more cores?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@RimacBugatti said:

I have been looking around and I found that even the i7 4980hq is only a 4 core CPU. What laptop would I have to go with to get a CPU with more cores?

A10 CPU by AMD, it's weaker than Intel i7, not sure why you need 8 core CPU laptop for, the i7 would do all the job that you need with editing and all of that.

If you're looking for something with more kick for editing go with Xeons or i7 extreme on PC.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RimacBugatti

@PredatorRules:

Thanks! Well I'm getting ready to make my first laptop purchase and I just want to make sure that my laptop will handle any and all games. I know that some games have been said to put a lot of strain on the CPU so I'm a little concerned. Im getting the MSI with 4xSSD's in Raid mode so my speeds should be good and it comes with the GTX980m. I was just wondering if the i7 4710hq would be adequate?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@RimacBugatti said:

@PredatorRules:

Thanks! Well I'm getting ready to make my first laptop purchase and I just want to make sure that my laptop will handle any and all games. I know that some games have been said to put a lot of strain on the CPU so I'm a little concerned. Im getting the MSI with 4xSSD's in Raid mode so my speeds should be good and it comes with the GTX980m. I was just wondering if the i7 4710hq would be adequate?

4 SSDs?!

WHY?!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@RimacBugatti said:

@PredatorRules:

Im getting the MSI with 4xSSD's in Raid mode

Didn't we tell you in the other forum that 4 x SSDs is A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY ????

Just get a laptop with a good video card, an i7 if you want to do heavy stuff OTHER than gaming (or else an i5 will do), and a single SSD.

The rest of the money you wanted to throw away, give it to charity for someone in need.

quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

well sager/clevo produces some laptop with desktop cpu but they are heavy as hell and have a extremely poor battery life.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GeryGo  Moderator

@RimacBugatti said:

@PredatorRules:

In that case all you need is i5, maybe i7 because it's weaker on laptops.

4 SSDs is an optional thing, I respect that if you have money to throw - that's your decision.

GTX980M should be very good and you'll be able to max games for the next 3 years and more.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RimacBugatti

@PredatorRules: As far as the 4xSSD's I'm a little impatient at times when downloading things and installing software etc. I also like windows to load quickly as I get impatient waiting. I only recently got into computers as they began running more quickly. I remember the 56k days. I'm also very paranoid about viruses on a computer. I have theorized that a faster computer equals faster antivirus software which would equal being faster at stopping the viruses from entering. I need this laptop to last for 5 years so I would like to buy something fast for todays standards. It may be a little overkill but to spend a little more and get something a little better is ok. It's kind of like a birthday/Christmas present to myself. I don't have get out much so I wanted something to occupy my time. Maybe I'm being a little selfish but my siblings do nothing for me.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@RimacBugatti said:

@PredatorRules: As far as the 4xSSD's I'm a little impatient at times when downloading things and installing software etc. I also like windows to load quickly as I get impatient waiting. I only recently got into computers as they began running more quickly. I remember the 56k days. I'm also very paranoid about viruses on a computer. I have theorized that a faster computer equals faster antivirus software which would equal being faster at stopping the viruses from entering. I need this laptop to last for 5 years so I would like to buy something fast for todays standards. It may be a little overkill but to spend a little more and get something a little better is ok. It's kind of like a birthday/Christmas present to myself. I don't have get out much so I wanted something to occupy my time. Maybe I'm being a little selfish but my siblings do nothing for me.

With your supposed "theory", viruses can also run that much faster, infecting things faster.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RimacBugatti

@quebec946: Hey thanks a lot! I checked out the Sager website and it was really cool how you can customize the laptop before you order it. I'm not too familiar with those brands in comparison with MSI and Asus but it looks like a great build. Definitely bulky but that's ok with me. Unfortunately I cant make my purchase until next month :( The money is going to be tight getting a laptop but it will be worth it. If you don't mind me asking what kind of laptop are you running?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GeryGo  Moderator

@RimacBugatti said:

Download and upload is only set by your ISP, doesn't got anything to do with the tech, almost any cheap simple tech today supports up to 300Mb/s download and upload.

To install software and games you won't need more than 250Gb of SSD, unless you really hate to uninstall things.

About your virus theory - I think @GTR12 already answered it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FelipeInside

@RimacBugatti said:

Again, just because you have 4 x SSDs things won't load faster and things definitely won't download faster. (and it's a pain in the ass if you have to reinstall Windows or do troubleshooting due to RAID drivers)

As you said so yourself, you just recently got into computers so follow the advice EVERYONE has given you and spend the money somewhere else, a single SSD will do (higher than 250GB if you find one cause games are starting to get bigger).

As for the laptop lasting... a laptop won't last as much as a desktop. You might get 3-4 years before you have to start turning down graphics. Another reason again to not go all out on a laptop purchase and save some money for down the road upgrade.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RimacBugatti

@FelipeInside: Sounds good thanks a lot. The MSI laptop that I'm getting has the cooler booster option which as you probably know allows turning the fans up which I hope will extend the life of the laptop. Based on the bottom air vents how beneficial will it be for me to get a laptop cooler to put underneath?Not mention will going with SSD make the laptop run cooler?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

@RimacBugatti said:

@FelipeInside: Sounds good thanks a lot. The MSI laptop that I'm getting has the cooler booster option which as you probably know allows turning the fans up which I hope will extend the life of the laptop. Based on the bottom air vents how beneficial will it be for me to get a laptop cooler to put underneath?Not mention will going with SSD make the laptop run cooler?

I'll summarize it for you.

Your best bet is:

- i7 if you can afford it or just i5 will do gaming fine

- 16GB of RAM

- Strongest video card you can afford

- Dual HDD laptop. So it will have a 256GB/500GB SSD for the OS and heavy games, and then a normal 1TB HDD for data storage and games that don't need an SSD.

- A laptop cooler is good, but elevating the laptop with two books underneath will do a similar job. Just make sure the vents have space around to breath.

- Most gaming laptops will turn the fans up automatically when in gaming mode.

Do you need a laptop though?

A desktop will give you much more power for less money.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

The i7's come with hyperthreading.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GeryGo  Moderator

@RimacBugatti said:

Yes, if you intend on gaming you should by a high rpm 2x 140 or 120 laptop cooler.

I recommend on this: http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Inches-Massive-Notebook-CL-N001-PL14BU-/dp/B00FPR8FLY/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1413193170&sr=1-2&keywords=thermaltake+cooling+pad

A friend of mine bought it and he's very pleased, he told me he gets about 5-10 degrees less while gaming.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RimacBugatti

@FelipeInside: I have an awesome gaming laptop running a GTX 690 and i7 3960x CPU with 32GB of RAM running a 1200 watt power supply with dual Vertex 4 SSD's. With Asus Rampage Extreme 4 motherboard. But I'm still in the process of wanting to move so I need something portable. I just got into computers a couple of years ago and found that I like computers and its nice to have something portable as well. I may actually be living out of my car for a little while so I need something to use in the car and my Tablet is very underpowered.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

@RimacBugatti said:

@FelipeInside: I have an awesome gaming laptop running a GTX 690 and i7 3960x CPU with 32GB of RAM running a 1200 watt power supply with dual Vertex 4 SSD's. With Asus Rampage Extreme 4 motherboard. But I'm still in the process of wanting to move so I need something portable. I just got into computers a couple of years ago and found that I like computers and its nice to have something portable as well. I may actually be living out of my car for a little while so I need something to use in the car and my Tablet is very underpowered.

You're a fan of throwing money down the gutter aren't you....lol....

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RimacBugatti

@FelipeInside: I'm not afraid of spending money. And to be honest it also depends on what a person does for a living and how much money really means to them. Money has no meaning to me. I could care less about money but I like to enjoy my life. Remember the more you try to make money the harder it is.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

@RimacBugatti said:

@FelipeInside: I'm not afraid of spending money. And to be honest it also depends on what a person does for a living and how much money really means to them. Money has no meaning to me. I could care less about money but I like to enjoy my life. Remember the more you try to make money the harder it is.

If money has no meaning to you then you should be smarter about spending it on your hobby and giving the rest to someone in need where money DOES mean something to them.

No point overspending on hardware when you get the SAME EXPERIENCE as someone who has spent wiser.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GTR12

@FelipeInside said:

@RimacBugatti said:

If money has no meaning to you then you should be smarter about spending it on your hobby and giving the rest to someone in need where money DOES mean something to them.

No point overspending on hardware when you get the SAME EXPERIENCE as someone who has spent wiser.

Honestly I'd forget trying to even communicate with him. He understands nothing about PC's then spouts if he throws money at it, it gets better. We all know here that's not the case and maybe he'll learn in the future.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

funny that your chasing a hexa or oct laptop. i sell them for a living and still get people who have been misinformed by other retailers that just coz it says i7, doesn't always mean its a quad. Some of the i7's are U chips with 1.8 or 2ghz dual cores.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

many games use 1-2 cores and it will be that way for years

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RimacBugatti

@FelipeInside: maybe I inherited a lot of money and money isn't that big of a deal and I take vacations every month and i'm not married and have no kids and life is great!

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RimacBugatti

@GTR12: So I spout at the mouth. Well that's the problem with world. Arrogant prideful and ignorant. Its probably good that your a hermit since you don't have good people skills. Try getting a life perhaps. You get what you pay for dumbass!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FelipeInside

@RimacBugatti said:

@GTR12: So I spout at the mouth. Well that's the problem with world. Arrogant prideful and ignorant. Its probably good that your a hermit since you don't have good people skills. Try getting a life perhaps. You get what you pay for dumbass!

He isn't the one being arrogant here.

You have come onto these forums asking for help since by your own words you are just getting into computers.

Various people (including me) have given you advice about how to spend wise, and not throw money down the gutter.

All I said was that if you are so rich, buy what you need without overspending and give the rest to charity. You will get your full gaming experience yourself and help someone else in the same process.

No one has a problem with you having money, just trying to show you how to spend it on hardware like someone that knows what they are doing. The leftover cash can always go to a future upgrade or top notch peripherals.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GTR12

@RimacBugatti said:

In that case, go ask alienware for 4x RAID and a 5960x in a laptop and you'll pay $20k, have them mock you and laugh at you behind your back.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RimacBugatti

@GTR12: That's why I said MSI or Asus because Alienware is overpriced. I ask for opinions but giving advice and telling me what to do is two totally different things. You may want to develop a better perception of yourself. You know nothing. And people that know they know nothing knows everything. Illusion in which you have been blinded. lol

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
@RimacBugatti said:

@GTR12: That's why I said MSI or Asus because Alienware is overpriced. I ask for opinions but giving advice and telling me what to do is two totally different things. You may want to develop a better perception of yourself. You know nothing. And people that know they know nothing knows everything. Illusion in which you have been blinded. lol

you were given advice to not throw money away in ways that will not improve your build and your reaction is to say they know nothing and insult them. Take your own advice.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

@RimacBugatti said:

Doesn't matter if it's ASUS or Alienware... if you're going for 4 x SSDs in a laptop you are wasting money, fact.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GTR12

@RimacBugatti said:

I know more than you, I know that for certain.

I'm not the one boasting about how rich I am and then asking for recommendations/opinions and then dismissing what they/we have to say and then accusing us that we know nothing.

If you think you know more than everyone here, then piss off, go buy whatever you want.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RimacBugatti

@GTR12: Saying that 4xSSD's is a waste an opinion not fact. The fact is that 4xSSD's is a lot faster than a single SSD. If I'm so unknowledgeable than please answer me which SSD has the fastest IOPS? And please tell me that if I don't know anything than why is it I have a desktop with a single video card that can pull 175 fps with everything turned up? I had a question concerning laptops because I didn't know everything but I know Alienware sells a laptop with 16 GB of video memory, FACT. I have learned something and hopefully you have too. I was looking at the MSI with a single 1TB HDD for $1899 with the GTX980m which seemed like a great deal but I was more excited about the faster download speeds with the SSD's.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GTR12

@RimacBugatti said:

@GTR12: Saying that 4xSSD's is a waste an opinion not fact. The fact is that 4xSSD's is a lot faster than a single SSD. If I'm so unknowledgeable than please answer me which SSD has the fastest IOPS? And please tell me that if I don't know anything than why is it I have a desktop with a single video card that can pull 175 fps with everything turned up? I had a question concerning laptops because I didn't know everything but I know Alienware sells a laptop with 16 GB of video memory, FACT. I have learned something and hopefully you have too. I was looking at the MSI with a single 1TB HDD for $1899 with the GTX980m which seemed like a great deal but I was more excited about the faster download speeds with the SSD's.

OMG, you have not learnt a thing, child. 4x SSD's is a waste of money, FACT.

A 690 pulling 175fps playing solitaire, yup I don't care, and all of a sudden, its 1 GPU now? LOL, whose the 1 changing their wording of things now?

And your still harping about how AW sells a laptop with 16GB video memory, they don't, hundreds of people here have already told that the Titan Z (the fastest GPU out currently) has only 12GB, you cant get anymore, listen to people here.

And your internet speed doesn't magically increase your downloads by having SSD's.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RimacBugatti

@GTR12: My desktop has a single GPU. And the last time I played it was with BO2 with everything turned up I hit 175 fps fact. I was shocked myself. It hovers at 150 fps. As far as downloading over the internet yes I understand but I usually install software/games from disc and I don't like waiting forever. Having a faster HDD does affect the speed in which the computer runs. Alienware has a laptop that states that it comes with 16 GB of VRAM. Check it out it's on Newegg. As far as a GTX 690, it's faster than a Titan. I'm not sure if it's faster than a Titan Z though.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@RimacBugatti said:

Alienware has a laptop that states that it comes with 16 GB of VRAM. Check it out it's on Newegg.

Link me that please, I'd like to know where I can buy this laptop of the future that has 16GB of VRAM.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GTR12

@RimacBugatti said:

@GTR12: My desktop has a single GPU. And the last time I played it was with BO2 with everything turned up I hit 175 fps fact. I was shocked myself. It hovers at 150 fps. As far as downloading over the internet yes I understand but I usually install software/games from disc and I don't like waiting forever. Having a faster HDD does affect the speed in which the computer runs. Alienware has a laptop that states that it comes with 16 GB of VRAM. Check it out it's on Newegg. As far as a GTX 690, it's faster than a Titan. I'm not sure if it's faster than a Titan Z though.

Installing a DVD or BD to a SSD is no faster than a HDD, the limiting factor is the read speed of the disc drive.

And BO2 isn't a game... its the COD engine which hasn't been changed in years, any GPU can max it.

I don't care what AW or newegg says, a GPU can have all the vram it wants, making use of that vram is another question.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FelipeInside

@RimacBugatti said:

@GTR12: Saying that 4xSSD's is a waste an opinion not fact. The fact is that 4xSSD's is a lot faster than a single SSD.

4 x SSDs in RAID1 will be faster than a single SSD, but you won't notice the difference, it's all numbers in the miliseconds.

Why are you so concerned about THAT speed though? It's just loading, the actual speed of the game depends on CPU and GPU.

The real question here is, WHY come on a forum asking for help, saying you are just starting with computers, and then go off at everyone when they tell you you're wasting money? Most of us here have been building PCs since 20 years ago... you should respect people that know more than you a bit more (or at least their knowledge)

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RimacBugatti

@FelipeInside: I'm new to laptops but I have some knowledge in desktops. I just want to make sure that I buy a laptop that's responsive enough for me not to get impatient when running software and multitasking. I'm not sure if SSD's help with multitasking though.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FelipeInside

@RimacBugatti said:

@FelipeInside: I'm new to laptops but I have some knowledge in desktops. I just want to make sure that I buy a laptop that's responsive enough for me not to get impatient when running software and multitasking. I'm not sure if SSD's help with multitasking though.

"I just want to make sure that I buy a laptop that's responsive enough for me" then start listening to people with experience. Isn't that your goal on these forums? to receive feedback and opinions from people that know more?

4 x SSDs will do absolutely nothing for you. And especially won't help in multitasking, that has more to do with CPU and RAM.

The ONLY time I would recommend something like SSDs in RAID is for someone that requires high end video editing and needs decoding at ultra fast speeds, and probably not even then unless their budget is in the clouds.

I've made a list of what you need and what will do the job for you, and to save the rest of the money on a future upgrade or other stuff. If you still don't want to listen is up to you.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RimacBugatti

@FelipeInside: Well like I was saying before, MSI has a model for $1899 with just a single 1TB HDD but unfortunately that was with the GTX 880m GPU. So maybe if I could find that model with a GTX 980m I may look into getting that model. But the only thing, is that it only has a single fan which is a concern as far as cooling.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FelipeInside

@RimacBugatti said:

@FelipeInside: Well like I was saying before, MSI has a model for $1899 with just a single 1TB HDD but unfortunately that was with the GTX 880m GPU. So maybe if I could find that model with a GTX 980m I may look into getting that model. But the only thing, is that it only has a single fan which is a concern as far as cooling.

Even an 880m will do. Most games these days don't push hardware as much as they used to, so an 880m would probably play 98% of games out there on max.

The 1TB HDD is good storage, but like I said before, better off getting a laptop with an SSD as OS, and a 500GB/1TB secondary as storage. The SSD will make the OS faster.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RimacBugatti

@FelipeInside: So if its one SSD that means it for the OS? Because I found one with a single 128GB SSD for a little more money. I don't know if 128 GB would be enough.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FelipeInside

@RimacBugatti said:

@FelipeInside: So if its one SSD that means it for the OS? Because I found one with a single 128GB SSD for a little more money. I don't know if 128 GB would be enough.

Follow these guidelines:

- Put the OS on the SSD, this will make the loading of the OS and general function faster.

- Put the "HEAVY" games and programs on the SSD

- Put the "lighter" games and programs on a normal bigger storage HDD

- I think 128GB is too small for the SSD, go at least 256GB.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RimacBugatti

@FelipeInside: Ok I found a laptop with 256 GB SSD. Now my other choice is going with the i7 4980HQ or the i7 4710HQ? I'm not sure if the i7 4980HQ would be better for the more CPU taxing games.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FelipeInside

@RimacBugatti said:

@FelipeInside: Ok I found a laptop with 256 GB SSD. Now my other choice is going with the i7 4980HQ or the i7 4710HQ? I'm not sure if the i7 4980HQ would be better for the more CPU taxing games.

Well obviously the 4980 is gonna be a bit better but the video card is what matters with games.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RimacBugatti

@FelipeInside: Ok thanks wasn't sure if any games were relying on the CPU as well. My other question is can I use an Xbox One controller on my laptop?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FelipeInside

@RimacBugatti said:

@FelipeInside: Ok thanks wasn't sure if any games were relying on the CPU as well. My other question is can I use an Xbox One controller on my laptop?

Some games rely more on the CPU than the GPU, and vice-versa. RTS and MMOs generally rely more on the CPU. Basically both need to be strong.

As for the XBOX One controller, I believe Microsoft released a driver to make it work with the PC, or is about to release the driver. I use a Logitech Wireless F710 anyway which works perfectly.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RimacBugatti

@FelipeInside: Do you think the i7 4710HQ CPU will handle all of the games?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FelipeInside

@RimacBugatti said:

@FelipeInside: Do you think the i7 4710HQ CPU will handle all of the games?

Yes.