Any laptop maker that allows ease of access to hardware?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28396 posts) -

My laptop is about to die *4 year old HP laptop* and the only reason it is dying is becasue Id have to take the thing apart just to get access to the fan to clean it or replace it, I was interested in a nice refurb at newegg * DV7T-730 3rd gen intel quad, Nvidia 2gig dedicated, 16 gig ram..etc for 700* but I don't want to run into the same issue here.

Are there any laptop manufacturers that allow ease of access to internal components for cleaning? I've seen a few but cannot recall names, Namely access to the fan and heatsink assembly for easy cleaning.

#2 Posted by JimmyJumpy (2554 posts) -

Most laptops are built the same and aren't easy to access because of the tight space layout.  The degree of accessability has more to do with personal handyness than laptop build.

#3 Posted by xfactor19990 (10917 posts) -

Most laptops are built the same and aren't easy to access because of the tight space layout.  The degree of accessability has more to do with personal handyness than laptop build.

JimmyJumpy
this^^^^^^ the only laptop I ever had that was capable of swapping gpu, processor etc, was my alienware m9750 and even then it was only a few generations of card that it became useless
#4 Posted by kraken2109 (13052 posts) -

So it's a broken fan? You sure you can't get to it? I would have thought once you've opened it up the fan would have to be fairly exposed to do it's job.

#5 Posted by JimmyJumpy (2554 posts) -

So it's a broken fan? You sure you can't get to it? I would have thought once you've opened it up the fan would have to be fairly exposed to do it's job.

kraken2109

If it's the CPU fan, then you'd have to get the mobo out in order to access the fan, which usually means gutting the entire laptop.

#6 Posted by kraken2109 (13052 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

JimmyJumpy

If it's the CPU fan, then you'd have to get the mobo out in order to access the fan, which usually means gutting the entire laptop.

Good point
#7 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28396 posts) -

It would definitely require a partial break down, I found a service and maintanence manual online and it would require atleast 10 disamebly sections of said manual to access the fan and heatsink. Im not worried about ease of access to remove components but to access the fan and heatsink to clean it, I know they exist I just cant recall where I saw it.

What I do remember is that access was much like opening the expansion bays on the bottom one would open up the hdd bay area and the memory/ wireless card but there would be a seperate cover/plate that culd be removed for fan access. Help would be much appreciated.

#8 Posted by Byshop (11471 posts) -

My laptop is about to die *4 year old HP laptop* and the only reason it is dying is becasue Id have to take the thing apart just to get access to the fan to clean it or replace it, I was interested in a nice refurb at newegg * DV7T-730 3rd gen intel quad, Nvidia 2gig dedicated, 16 gig ram..etc for 700* but I don't want to run into the same issue here.

Are there any laptop manufacturers that allow ease of access to internal components for cleaning? I've seen a few but cannot recall names, Namely access to the fan and heatsink assembly for easy cleaning.

WilliamRLBaker

Sager/Clevo is the most "open architecture" laptop platform that I know of. Alienware is also pretty decent for this, but that's partially because most of their laptops are bricks. The smaller the form factor, the less accessible it is. Macbooks are probably the absolute worst. Even swapping a hard drive on one of those requires almost completely dismantling it.

-Byshop

#9 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28396 posts) -

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

Byshop

Sager/Clevo is the most "open architecture" laptop platform that I know of. Alienware is also pretty decent for this, but that's partially because most of their laptops are bricks. The smaller the form factor, the less accessible it is. Macbooks are probably the absolute worst. Even swapping a hard drive on one of those requires almost completely dismantling it.

-Byshop

thanks for the info it may have been a sager I saw Sadly they are out of my price range-power ratio I can afford a low end sager but its power is dwarfed by the HP refurb im looking at.
#10 Posted by C_Rule (9741 posts) -
Have you attempted to take it apart? Laptops aren't easy to disassemble and doing so takes quite a lot of time and patience, but it can usually be done.
#11 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23549 posts) -
clevo does you can access everything on my sager np8130 very easily