Another Question About the 550D

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Amster_G (4290 posts) -

I honestly don't even know if I've asked this before, but I don't think so.

So, I've been eyeballing the Corsair 550D for months now. NCIX keeps putting it up for little over $100, which is just a great deal, considering the full retail price. I'm also keeping an eye out for Corsair's brand new H80i (they released a revised version of both the H100 and H80). Now, if I cooled my CPU with the H80i, meaning all the air is going to be pushed out the backside of the case, is it still highly necessary to have the top of the case open for ventilation? I was thinking, if I got the 550D, I'd like to keep all the panels on for the looks, which means no top exhausting. How much heat would be trapped if I did that? Am I only going to see an extra 2 or 3 degrees or will it get way too hot in there?

550d_hero_down_1.png

#2 Posted by General_X (9090 posts) -
There isn't really a good way to tell without testing, it will probably run warmer without top exhaust, but how much warmer is a question I can't answer. It will be quieter though with the top cover if that's important to you, you'll have to decide for yourself whether the trade-off is worth it.
#3 Posted by Makari (15250 posts) -
Not necessary - I've got an H80 and that case, and it worked okay the way you suggest if you're after quiet. Keep in mind with everything else closed up, the H80's exhaust is pretty much the ONLY exhaust, though.. I'm actually experimenting right now with having the H80 exhaust out the top of the case, haha.
#4 Posted by Amster_G (4290 posts) -

Yeah, you're right. I guess I'd have to find out for myself.

Basically, as I have a couple of spare pieces of an older rig kicking around. I want to swap some things to build a second tower and get rid of the other one. I'd only need about 5 pieces of hardware to have a full second tower. In this case, I want a 550D build with the new H80i on a 3570K. Then I gotta swap around an Asus motherboard I have along with an 7870 so that basically the rig in my sig will have a 3570K, the H80i and a different case. Hopefully someone will then buy the 650D build.

I don't need to be told what a waste of money that is either :P This is a hobby of mine and is not considered a waste a money to me.

#5 Posted by Horgen (110929 posts) -
How do the H100 do in comparison to the new version H100i? As for the case. It is supposed to be good enough airflow in it to use it as you suggest, but I have never tried it. Also Amster if you can, set your second computer to do some folding for gs :P
#6 Posted by Amster_G (4290 posts) -

How do the H100 do in comparison to the new version H100i? As for the case. It is supposed to be good enough airflow in it to use it as you suggest, but I have never tried it. Also Amster if you can, set your second computer to do some folding for gs :Phorgen123

I don't think the H100i has been out long enough for proper comparisons. All I know (from unboxing videos) is that the fans are way better and nicer looking and the tubes/hoses are completely flexible as opposed to stiff and nearly unbendable.

In regards to folding: I think I'd rather buy a cheap simple computer to do that rather than having a beefy rig... just for folding :P I'll sell it.

So for this new 550D build, I'd like to have a 3570K, cooled by the H80i, low profile 4x4GB Corsair memory and the AX650 PSU (to power all this plus the remaining parts in my sig, minus the 2500K and XMS3 RAM of course). Anything I should change?

#7 Posted by Horgen (110929 posts) -
You will get a rig very similar to mine. Except I got 680, AX750 and H100. Could really do with some other fans on the H100. They make a lot of noise.
#8 Posted by Amster_G (4290 posts) -

You will get a rig very similar to mine. Except I got 680, AX750 and H100. Could really do with some other fans on the H100. They make a lot of noise. horgen123

Well, with the H80i I might get for the new tower, I wonder how noisy they'll be. Either way, I'll probably replace them with the SP120 fans that are currently installed on my H100, which happen to be the noisier kind (compared to the AF120 quiet edition fans), but are actually very quiet at their lowest speed. I'll probably miss the colored rims if I keep the stock H80i fans.

#9 Posted by Yagnav (6107 posts) -

Not sure if its "legal" here in *cough*Sensitive*cough*Spot but you should start a build log and keep us all here in the loop :D

#10 Posted by Guppy507 (17398 posts) -
When I moved from my Coolermaster HAF case to my Fractal Design R3 case with very limited airflow, my video card temps went up about 4-5 degrees idle, still tops out around 92. My CPU on the other hand ran so hot that I eventually bought a new cooler.