This topic is locked from further discussion.

suetracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 suetracy
Member since 2003 • 939 Posts

Can someone give me some real world examples of where AMD processors fall behind Intels'? THnkas

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
The question at hand is all dependent on program and game. However 9 times out of ten intel cpu's perform faster then AMD's. This does not mean that AMD cpu's cant do the jobs nor cant provide a good experience. As for real world examples would be like say one game with an Intel cpu you see 70 fps while with an AMD cpu you might only see 60 fps. Or say your encoding a video an AMD cpu may do it in 3 minutes while an intel cpu may get it done in 2 minutes and change. Now when you get into programs and apps that support six or eight cores then AMD cpu's can get a lead over intel quad cores.
nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts
AMD or Intel both are great. They are quite close to each other as of performance and such. A difference is that a 6 core AMD processer equals to a 4 core Intel processor (because AMD doesn't use threads along with their cores, Intel does) but that doesn't mean any of them perform better or worse (yes maybe a bit but not noticeable). And AMD is usually cheaper than Intel so you trade a bit performance for $$..
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
AMD or Intel both are great. They are quite close to each other as of performance and such. A difference is that a 6 core AMD processer equals to a 4 core Intel processor (because AMD doesn't use threads along with their cores, Intel does) but that doesn't mean any of them perform better or worse (yes maybe a bit but not noticeable). And AMD is usually cheaper than Intel so you trade a bit performance for $$..nilzg
huh? AMD cpu's have a thread on each core with the hexacores 6 cores 6 threads like Phenom 2 X6's. Intel cpu's that have Hyperthreading the 2nd thread on each core are virtual cores that only use the "left overs" of whats left of the cpu cycles (resources). Which is why in 98% of software dont see any real difference.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

Can someone give me some real world examples of where AMD processors fall behind Intels'? THnkas

suetracy
Intel excels at programs that are coded to only utilize one or two cores (e.g. Older games, certain compression programs, etc.). When programs are heavily threaded to take advantage of 4 or more cores, AMD's offering become very very competitive for their price. I should also clarify that Intel's quad cores do infact spank AMD's quad cores when all cores are being used, but the trade-off is that Intel's quad cores also tend to be about twice as expensive.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

It's easier to just list the scenarios where AMD is actually competitive with Intel: if you're building a productivity/workstation-type rig on a tight budget and need the extra threads an FX-series CPU offers over i3/i5; or if you're building an ultra-budget gaming rig or gaming HTPC that'll run off the on-board GPU, in which case an A10 or A8 is going to be a significantly better choice than anything in Intel land.

Other than that, you're all-but-certainly going to be better off with Intel's core-for-core performance advantage. There just aren't enough highly-threaded consumer-type workloads (including the vast majority of games) to justify going AMD over Intel (and buying based on the idea of futureproofing is generally a terrible, terrible idea), and if you really do need that top-end performance for a workstation you might as well spend up i7 and get the best of both worlds.

suetracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 suetracy
Member since 2003 • 939 Posts

if you're building an ultra-budget gaming rig or gaming HTPC that'll run off the on-board GPU, in which case an A10 or A8 is going to be a significantly better choice than anything in Intel land.

Slow_Show

I'm going with the A10 since I am on an "ultra budget" even though the rig will come to about $850 in the end. But that's including mouse, keyboard, OS, monitor too. The A10's integrated graphics is ideal for me considering I'm not buying a discrete graphics card until I can afford it.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

suetracy

Wait until the 8350 is released later this month and revisit this question

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

AMD can bulldoze and do a piledriver on Intel for lunch - ionusx

;)

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

for my own purposes i wouldn't go AMD cpu's. It has nothing to do with my preference for one over the other, in fact I always get the better value cpu, I don't care about brand names and such. With that said, Intel cpu's are approximately twice as fast as AMD cpus clock for clock, which is why I go intel. That doesn't mean that performance in games for pcs with intel cpu's is twice as good as AMD cpu's, because majority of games are gpu bottlenecked. But for games that are cpu bottlenecked like RTS games is where you see intel really shine over AMD. That aside, AMD's gpu performance is amazing, they're ahead of nvidia or on par with them in every category. Id say that even their value is much better than nvidias.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

for my own purposes i wouldn't go AMD cpu's. It has nothing to do with my preference for one over the other, in fact I always get the better value cpu, I don't care about brand names and such. With that said, Intel cpu's are approximately twice as fast as AMD cpus clock for clock, which is why I go intel. That doesn't mean that performance in games for pcs with intel cpu's is twice as good as AMD cpu's, because majority of games are gpu bottlenecked. But for games that are cpu bottlenecked like RTS games is where you see intel really shine over AMD. That aside, AMD's gpu performance is amazing, they're ahead of nvidia or on par with them in every category. Id say that even their value is much better than nvidias.

blaznwiipspman1

Didn't you go from like a 2500k to a 2700k?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

GummiRaccoon

Didn't you go from like a 2500k to a 2700k?

lol yeah
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
Yes. Why not save some $$? AMD is solid and are very good when it comes to price vs performance ratio. I'm sure intel has some better offerings but nothings wrong with AMD. I actually prefer AMD, mainly because I like to save $$. I'm poh.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

If you want the best just go with Intel, AMD cpus are mainly worth it to save money and put out a decent but not excellent performance.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

They are both great and shine in their own ways, depending on what they are used for. Personally i prefer Intel because the general conclusion is that they perform better for gaming.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
It depends on your budget. I got a Phenom II X4 (Deneb) and motherboard for $120 total last year for my son, and it runs every game out there just fine. If you have the money to burn, Intel is excellent. But if you don't want to spend that much money, AMD works just fine...